Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Renowned Local Transit Historian has Passed Away

It's with deep regret that I announce the passing of local transit historian and author, Jack E. Schramm, who passed away this past Wednesday, February 24, 2010, after a long illness.

Jack Schramm was a wealth of information on local transportation history and was regarded as an authority on the history of the public transit systems in and around the city of Detroit. After retiring from DSR/DDOT after 40 years of service, he went on to author and co-author a number of books on the history of Detroit's streetcar, interurban and bus operations, and also co-authored detailed books and articles on the history of the city-owned DSR system. He also authored a number of articles on Detroit area bus companies for Motor Coach Age magazine—a bus enthusiast publication. Over the years, excerpts from his work have also appeared right here on DetroitYES! Jack, and his knowledge of local transit history, will definitely be missed.

Jack and his son Ken Schramm have also contributed volumes of information for usage on my Detroit Transit History website, for which I am forever grateful. My prayers and condolences go out to Ken over the loss of his father.

A Memorial Service will be held on Tuesday, March 9, 2010 at 11:00AM

1345 Gratiot Avenue
    Detroit, MI 48207-2720
    [[313) 567-3100
    Located at Downtown near Detroit's Eastern Market South of Russell Street.

Plenty of parking at the Church's Parking Lot.

Lunch to follow the service.

Any Donations, please make them to the Capuchin Soup Kitchen, 1820 Mt.
    Elliott Street, Detroit, MI 48207
    Last edited by bc_n_dtown; February-28-10 at 08:04 AM.

I live East of Cleveland and can not attend the memorial service, but please pass on my condolences to his family. I grew up in Detroit and very much enjoy reading the information that is in your website.

I have the Detroit Street Railway book from the Images of America series. What an awesome collection of information about the city's transit history. My condolences to the family.

Thanks, bc_n_dtown, for posting this news.

I know Ken and had met his dad once or twice when the Arcadia book was published, and I see Ken from time to time at various local history events.

Please pass along my condolences to Ken and the Schramm family.

My Sympathys go out to the family. The 2 books on the DSR I have in my library are some of my favorites.Many a pre internet night was spent reading them.

My sympathy to the family.

Cheers to one of the people who collected history that otherwise could have been easily lost, and my sympathies as Jack boards that streetcar to the sky.

Default Jack Schramm: Engineer was an expert on streetcars

Transit Historian Jack Schramm's Obituary featured in today's [[Sunday's) Detroit Free Press

http://www.freep.com/article/20100307/NEWS08/3070512/1010/Jack-Schramm-Engineer-was-an-expert-on-streetcars