Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Treasures of Eastern Market

I was just inspired to start this thread, as an accumulation of perception from those who visit Eastern Market...especially on Saturday mornings.

I was wandering through Shed 5 and responded to a come-on from one of the vendors...which I rarely entertain. She happened to be offering tastes of olive oil on tiny pieces of bread. That was enough to stop me in my tracks.

I've seen lots of things in the Market before, but never small-scale production olive oil...within five minutes, the lovely and perfectly honest Maria El-Haddad gave me the elevator pitch on her change of life, adhering to the purpose of some land she'd inherited that has produced oil from these same trees for over a thousand years.

I was sold on the life change story...

So...scamper on down to the Market before they close up, and lighten her stock of Ze Tune, spelled with accents on both the first e and the u [[seems I cannot find the special characters font, but you get the idea). Shed 5, in the SE quadrant in a small tabled booth.

NOW, to get on with this thread...I'd LOVE for us to collect stories of vendors we've encountered in the Market...

...like two of my pillars, the Honey and Maple Syrup guys, who I've finally found after their eminent domain ejection from Shed 2 before the construction started. Turns out Mr. Syrup is going in for some operation this week, so good thoughts and prayers his way.

Cheers all, on this fabulously sunny Saturday afternoon...

Geez, I just checked her website...what an amazing story.

I cannot wait to taste the oil now...heh.

http://www.zetuneoil.com/main.html

Cheers!

LodgeDodger Guest

Gannon, at what time were you there today?

Also, I like the flirty farmer guy. I think his name is John. He's a lot of fun.

gannon,

you are truely my hero!love ya man. keep up the good work at the deli

5. Default

Eastern Market. One of my favorite places to be on a Saturday - especially in the spring or the fall.

I'm off there next Saturday -I will look out for the olive oil - soury as it sounds!

As usual, I have some Eastern Market pics. These were taken last fall when the weather was still nice.

Thanks for the tip. Have plenty of olive oil around here available from Italy and Spain, but don't think I've ever seen olive oil offered from Lebanon. Will have to try it out.

I noticed that Bert's was really Hoppin yesterday..More people than I have seen in a long time..Smoke from BBQ's.Folks dancin to the Music .Everyone laughing and having a Damn good time.....Hurts was hoppin, Gratiot Central jammed the bridge vendors everywhere...Beautifull day at the Market

I also had a slice of Supino Pizza..Great Pizza...They have a pie called the Supino..Roasted garlic,black olives,chili oil,rocotta ,red sauce,mozzarella..unbelievable...

Check out the Urban Grounds coffee stand. It seems to be a beautifully restored vintage refreshment trailer. I have now had their coffee and their Italian soda, both excellent, they offer a full coffee experience. I chatted with the owners, and they are a really friendly and charming young Detroit couple. Very exciting. Two thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
    I also had a slice of Supino Pizza..Great Pizza...They have a pie called the Supino..Roasted garlic,black olives,chili oil,rocotta ,red sauce,mozzarella..unbelievable...
    Here, here. Supino is great! Love that place.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I was just inspired to start this thread, as an accumulation of perception from those who visit Eastern Market...especially on Saturday mornings.
    i'm so glad you asked! i remember bringing two of my friends - one from new york, and another from boston - to see one of detroit's gems - eastern market. we were about to cross the bridge over to gratiot central, when we approached a peanut vendor. he looked at my new york friend, and said, "hey, sister - what you doin hanging out with white folk, you trying to upgrade? you best keep yourself to the suburbs."

diver1369 Guest

well, I'm glad to read that your out-of-town friends got the full Detroit experience. Unashamed ignorance.

Got to get up early and go to Eastern Market one day.But not flower day.

Whew Gannon!

For a few seconds there I thought you were going to have a Terryh "Nubian Princess" moment...

Gistok,

Heh, thanks...it could've headed that way, indeed.

But like I said, she is lovely AND perfectly honest, so I saved her the grief of ending it ugly later.

I'll stick to her oils and helping promote her business...she spoke of moving from suburban Lansing to Chicago for some yuppie lifestyle 'upgrade', but had her awakening when she visited this land after inheriting it...she couldn't sell it or turn her back on the legacy.

If it wasn't FOR my better senses, I would've fallen head over heels...

Cheers!
    John

Default McClures Pickles

McClure's Pickles usually have a stand down at the market. Here's their story...

http://www.eatthemitten.com/2009/03/...royal-oak.html

All super nice guys and a great product.

I've always liked the guy who sells organic whole and milled grains and breads. It is great stuff, and cheaper than I can find that quality anywhere else.

I like the "friendly egg guy" - the guy in trucker hat and coveralls who's about 80 [[he told me the last time I was there!) and has been at EM forever. I don't remember his name, though.

I do like the changes over the last year or so.

I haven't been to Eastern Market since my last weekend visit in early March, but really look forward to going this Saturday.

O.

gravitymachine Guest

not a fan of the cocky white-bearded apple guy and his wierd ass sons. i bought apples from that dude for a long time and he's always a jerk. i either get apples from someone else or go without now. also not a fan of the drunk who's always selling tomato's, peppers and really expensive cucumbers.

however the people who have all the varieties of potatoes and onions are great, they also have free range eggs from time to time and michigan grown garlic. there are also a couple farmers that most recently have had black walnuts and often have squash and zucchini, those guys are really nice too.

against my better judgement i spent $8 one some of those pickles mentioned above, they are fantastic, but i'd rather make my own at that price, or get some cheaper and just as local topor's

I also enjoy Freddie, the woodsman. If you have any need for firewood, he cheerily will talk with you for an hour about it, and then maybe put some in your car.

The changes since Dan Carmody took over are TREMENDOUS, there is nothing they've endeavored that I haven't adored. They are putting in a geo-thermal well for the heating of the sheds...and their focus on local food production is admirable.

Three cheers for Dan and his gang!

LodgeDodger Guest

I'm also pleased with many of the changes. However, I do miss the chicken...

What time were you there Saturday, Gannon? Wondered if our paths crossed.

"I like the "friendly egg guy" - the guy in trucker hat and coveralls who's about 80 [[he told me the last time I was there!) and has been at EM forever. I don't remember his name, though."

This guy?

http://www.detroiteasternmarket.com/...d=19&p=46&s=11

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gravitymachine View Post
    not a fan of the cocky white-bearded apple guy and his wierd ass sons. i bought apples from that dude for a long time and he's always a jerk. i either get apples from someone else or go without now. also not a fan of the drunk who's always selling tomato's, peppers and really expensive cucumbers.
    Where is that guy located?

I don't like the pepper guy, either.

The guy who sells succulents is really sweet, too.

I didn't get there until eleven, ate a very late breakfast at Zeff's Grille, ran into an old friend and two of his children on the way out and held forth for another twenty minutes or so, until I drained my coffee and wore out my welcome!

Then I strolled the sheds for another thirty minutes or hour, and started this thread not long after I got home. I know if I don't do it immediately, it often doesn't get done...and her story and product were well worth it.

Plus, we haven't praised the Market enough on here lately!

Guy that bugs me is the hoarse-throated screamer-dude...he's always calling out and shocking the shit out of me. Every time, it seems.

But, the signs say NO grumpy people allowed, and I'll be damned if I'll get grumpy just because of him!

I wonder if that rule applies to vendors, too?!

My lady and I went there Saturday. I have to put a plug in for the folks that were selling ginger tea. It is delicious!!! I bought a pint, because I felt that $27 for a gallon was a bit too pricey, but after enjiying it later in the day, I wish I'd have sprung for the gallon. Not sure what's so addictive about it, but I'm hooked on it now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast