Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Prairie Home Companion at Fox on Saturday

The Fox will host NPR's "Prairie Home Companion" on Saturday [[Feb. 27). Among the guests is the mighty maestro of the mighty Wurlizter, John Lauter - who I hear hangs out around DY, but I don't want to out him if he prefers to remain incognito. Bettye Lavette and more also will perform. It'll be broadcast live. http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/

Damn!! I wish I would have known earlier. Nothing like a night at the Fox with the mighty 4/36 Wurlitzer playing.

I've met John Lauter as well... nice fellow.... and incognito...

There are several interesting Detroit Fox organ playing videos found on YouTube.

John probably knows the Fox Wurlitzer better than anyone and I'm looking forward to his performance. Also "thanks" to Greg the GM of the Fox...his dedication to this theatre over the last 30 years is remarkable. The capacity audience for this broadcast will see one of the best maintained theatre buildings in the country and hear one of the finest theatre organs in its original setting.

Yeah, Buddy Smith will be on with Sir Mack Rice as well. I only heard about it this morning, or I would be there.

It sold out a while ago, I heard.

I'll be listening to it on a client's home entertainment system.

Bought tickets in December

[[thump thump)

"My Girl" on the Wurlitzer with the audience sing-a-long was pretty awesome.

Bettye LaVette really tore up those ballads, too.

Not a fan of this show whatsoever, but the bit where Keillor kept giving Lauter scenarios and John played appropriate music on the Wurlitzer was just hilarious. Way to go, John! The Faygo singalong was cute, too.

lilpup Guest

liked the featuring of the Wurlitzer, too, along with the Faygo sing-along and the little ditty rejecting center consoles and bucket seats

That was awesome, after years of listening it was so cool to see live, especially at the Fox. Garrison seem truly impressed by the theater. I'm biased but I think that was my favorite one, ha.

John Lauter's performance was great...I might suggest that with worldwide audience and the archived web cast, the Fox Wurlitzer will be heard by the largest overall "audience" in its history. With the restoration work on the instrument over the last 20 years it is probably in the best condition it has been since the 1950's...Keillor was obviously impressed by the FOX and John had the most air time of any organist I have heard on prior PHC broadcasts from the Atlanta and St. Louis Fox Theaters. Bravo to the Fox management for preserving this unique and irreplaceable instrument.

Damn, I wish I would have found out about this earlier.

Now, if only we can get Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me to do a show at the Fox.