Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New menu at Woodbridge Pub

Has anybody tried it? I heard they got rid of the S.U.B. and have a more "upscale" menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Has anybody tried it? I heard they got rid of the S.U.B. and have a more "upscale" menu.
    Please, dear God, tell me the veggie locker sammich is still on the menu. One of the best sammiches in town.

Not sure about the veggie locker. Somebody was telling me they stopped doing the pizzas.

It's true that the pizzas are gone. They are going to a seasonal lovacore menu. So far, it's REALLY GOOD. I trust them, it's an awesome little place.

The pub has gone to a more regionally/seasonally based rotating menu that changes 4 times a year and is based on fresh foods that are available locally, depending on growing seasons, etc.

That's odd. It's kind of an upscale conceit for a neighborhood place, isn't it?

When I was in there last they still had the veggie sandwich. But, they called it something different. I love it also! What the hell is that stuff...tofu? It doesn't seem like tofu. But, it's damn good. I also think they need to post their menu on their web site.

Quote Originally Posted by mbshan View Post
    When I was in there last they still had the veggie sandwich. But, they called it something different. I love it also! What the hell is that stuff...tofu? It doesn't seem like tofu. But, it's damn good. I also think they need to post their menu on their web site.
    Veggie locker has cream cheese, jalapeno, avocado and other delights, but no tofu.

EastSider Guest

That's odd. It's kind of an upscale conceit for a neighborhood place, isn't it?
    Would you prefer something mass produced in a factory and labeled "food product?"

I think you are referring to a "locavore," as in one who purchases near their geographical area.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    Would you prefer something mass produced in a factory and labeled "food product?"
    No. And it's not a matter of my preference. It's just that neighborhood spots seem to do well by offering a bunch of regular, comfort food-like items that it's very hard to do wrong, and then doing creative "specials" that appeal to the jaded palate. Or that's my "conventional wisdom," I guess. WP's old menu was good at doing simple, comfortable food and giving it a little fine-dining razzle-dazzle, which seemed a safer bet.

I ate lunch there yesterday. [[I'm there pretty much every weekend.) Still lots of comfort food favorites, menu not really that different that I could tell, other than no pizzas. And tasted really good, with friendly people and relaxed atmosphere, as always.

Last time I was there, they had a little chicken pot pie - you don't get more comfort food than that. And it was DE licious. With kale on the side. Yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by ggcanfield View Post
    I ate lunch there yesterday. [[I'm there pretty much every weekend.) Still lots of comfort food favorites, menu not really that different that I could tell, other than no pizzas. And tasted really good, with friendly people and relaxed atmosphere, as always.
    That's good news! I was worried they were setting their sights solely on upscale seasonal.

And still very reasonably priced.

Their drinks are a bit expensive. I paid $7 for the Bells Best Brown Ale on tap a while back and I think about that every time I pass by and have not been back since. Maybe i'll go back to check out the food, it sounds good.

I hope they don't upscale it too much. That's been the death knell of many a cool place.

On Friday and Saturday nights, a bottle of their house wine is $10. That's cheap drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    On Friday and Saturday nights, a bottle of their house wine is $10. That's cheap drinks.
    What are their house wines?

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    What are their house wines?
    Solterra, so not a bad deal at all.

Thank God they kept the turkey burger which is so darn good. We went right after they switched and I had the Beef Bourguinon [[sp?) and it was not very good. But we love the place so will keep going.

The Veggie Locker is no longer on the menu. First Tiger Stadium, then the Lafayette Building, now this!

The new menu is posted on their myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/woodbridgepub.

I was a bit bummed at the change, but the salmon burger was quite good, so I mostly got over it.

Dabirch Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    I hope they don't upscale it too much. That's been the death knell of many a cool place.
    For the life of me, I can't think of one place in recent memory that died in detroit because they went from a casual spot to upscale. Any examples?

Quote Originally Posted by Dabirch View Post
    For the life of me, I can't think of one place in recent memory that died in detroit because they went from a casual spot to upscale. Any examples?
    A good point, but upscale places are doing very poorly these days. And it's not necessarily what's on the bill at the end of the meal, it's all about perceptions of what the meal will cost. It's the sort of rationale where people will pay $20 for two 8-ounce Kobe beef hamburgers, but not $20 for a 16-ounce Kobe beef steak.

Also, places that were fancy and have gone a bit more casual have generally done well in recent years. [[And a fair amount of successful restaurateurs who've opened comfort-food joints in the last decade have been grateful they did.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast