Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The Lawyers Building

I know the building opened in 1922 and is on the historic registry. Can anyone give information about who used to occupy it, how long it has been closed, and it's condition?

I would love to get some information about it for prospective use, but the sign for information has been painted over. What has happened to its ownership?

oops...great thread title! Mods, please fix!!

EastSider Guest

Last group to attempt renovation that I can recall lost their enthusiasm after one of the partners was stabbed locking up the place shortly after they bought it.

I remember taking depositions in that office during my career downtown. Clarence Reid who used to be Lt Governor had offices there, as did his son and the late Stanley Stalberg. My barber, Sammy, started there in 1948 as an apprentice barber, but moved to the Dime Building when re returned from the Korean War in 1952 and has been in the Dime Building ever since. I can't recall when the last tenants were in the Lawyer's Building. Seems so long ago.

Eastsider your one sentence is a classic summary of Detroit's problems. I think I did see this on a Area Development Site for sale. I may be mistaken but believe the asking price was over $1 million.

Yes here it as at $ 1.7 million or $42.50 a sq ft. That is way pricey for Detroit.
    http://www.degc.org/available-sites.aspx

In the current market one can get stabbed in almost any part of town for under $100k or $10 per sq ft. [[Just seeing the word Lawyer this early in the morning makes me feel like a smart-ass-lol).