Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Any updates on Dequindre Cut extensions, Bagley St pedestrian bridge

I have not been over to the Dequindre Cut for a while. Can anyone comment on the status of the Dequindre Trail that was to connect the southern end of the cut with the riverfront park? And what is the status of Phase 2, i.e. north into Eastern Market area? Has ground even been broken there? If not, any idea where updates are posted?

My other question was the Bagley St. pedestrian bridge. Last I checked [[about 3 weeks ago), it was still closed. Anyone know when it will be opened?

I was by the Dequinder cut connector last weekend. The cement is poured with some interesting patterns. Electrical is in the ground but no lamposts yet [[which it appears it will be very well lit.) And obviously no landscaping.

As for the bagley street bridge i'm pretty sure the bridge has been officially done for over half a year. From what I hear it's the approaches to the bridge that were contracted by to a different company and are underway but still incomplete.

Work has begun on the DC extension from Gratiot to Mack. The bridge across Adelaide Street is being demolished and most of the junk along the pathway has been removed. Here are some pics taken on Sep 27.Name:  Dequindre Cut 2.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  45.8 KBName:  Dequindre Cut 1.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  56.7 KB

Wow! That's fast. They only broke ground on LinkDetroit last week! Good to see them moving quickly.

the project doesnt have Bing and council to slow down construction by allocating money for it to pay on some other failed venture. I cant wait until next year when the mass bike groups could really use this path as well as the Free Press Marathon runners

Yesterday, as part of the Michigan Trails Week celebration, we went on a guided tour of the Milliken State Park wetlands, and then walked on Dequindre Cut to Eastern Market and back.

It was our first time on the Dequindre Cut, which was alive with cyclists and pedestrians. It was a great day on a beautiful greenway.

Here are some more pics of the DC work going on. Taken on Sep 29.Name:  Dequindre Cut 3.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  48.2 KBName:  Dequindre Cut 4.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  42.5 KBName:  dequindre cut 5.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  41.4 KB

How far North is this expansion going? Once they reach Mack I see some problems as they often use the train tracks to store traincars. I know City Scrap doesnt use trains to move their scrap but I still often see the tracks used.
    Last edited by Django; October-06-13 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Nikoli

Maybe a trolley could be put on the tracks that could take shoppers from Eastern Market To Hamtramck then to Royal Oak

Just wanted to say that the Dequindre Cut is being funded in great part by the State of Michigan DNR... the same people that are "plotting" the takeover of city jewel Belle Isle. Why no one has bemoaned that the state is largely responsible for the Dequindre Cut... and are not up in arms about it... is a mystery to many...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Just wanted to say that the Dequindre Cut is being funded in great part by the State of Michigan DNR... the same people that are "plotting" the takeover of city jewel Belle Isle. Why no one has bemoaned that the state is largely responsible for the Dequindre Cut... and are not up in arms about it... is a mystery to many...
    It is no mystery if you understand how it was funded.

Funding for this $3.75 million rails-to-trails greenway project was provided by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources, the Michigan Department of Transportation, the Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan's GreenWays Initiative, the Economic Growth Corporation and the Kellogg Foundation. Additionally, an endowment has been set up for the Dequindre Cut through the Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan, with funding from the Kresge Foundation, the Kellogg Foundation and the Community Foundation.

$10.000.000 Tiger grant.

It was also funded in a great part by many volunteers who have devoted their time to a great cause for the public good.

So this is a perfect example of the mix of private,public,and corporate funding for a common goal,ownership is handled by a 501 non profit and there was no need for the state to assume ownership.

There is no difference between this and the island which has the exact same circumstances,other then the lack of a combined overall organization ability,and in return the loss of outside funding without the loss of control.

Sense you did bring it up I will join you in saying kudos to the many that spent the time to make this happen and realize the potential for the greater good.

Thanks Richard for all the details about the Dequindre Cut!

Great post!