Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Steve Wilson Leaving WXYZ Channel 7

After nearly nine rewarding years as Chief Investigative Reporter, I am leaving Channel 7.

I am making this announcement here and now because I wanted you to hear it first directly from me. And because truth and honesty is what I have always tried my best to stand for in my work and in my life, let me say candidly this decision is not my own.

Simply put, Channel 7’s corporate management in Cincinnati just does not see the value in continuing to invest in me and the work I do here in Detroit. I have received written notice that my contract is not being renewed when it expires at the end of March.

More details and full statement are in attachment...click below to read more.
    Last edited by Steve Wilson; February-25-10 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Reduce Text Size

Good luck Steve.

Steve, that is indeed stupefying news. Logic never seems behind this sort of thing, even if it is couched in revamping, freshening or some such verbiage.

Personally, I hope you consider staying here in town. I know you're a Fla guy, but we still need good people here. Don't think you have to leave just because some pencil neck in Cinci doesn't see how valuable you are.

That said, when there are no words, just say, "fuck 'em"

I made the above comments before reading your attached DOC. That sounds fantastic Steve. There is a similar international model that has been in effect for a little over a year, I'm sure you are all over that concept, but if not let me know.

Love your work and I hope things work out for the better, good luck.

It's a shame.

I'm glad to see you arent giving up on this city though. I look forward to your reports - perhaps now you can fully investigate everything you wanted to before... this could be a good thing if it takes off...

PS - locate the offices for this new group downtown

Good luck Steve.

[Full Statement copied here for the benefit of those who may not be able to open a Word document]

Although it won’t be at Channel 7, before I leave Detroit where there’s so much work to be done, I’m exploring a new way to continue investigating government corruption and other waste and frauds that have so badly hurt this region.

Before I explain the new concept I’m developing, I must say a heartfelt thank you for the opportunities and support I’ve received from managers here inside Broadcast House. I want my colleagues especially to know that were it not for those past and present managers here, people with the courage to stand up for Channel 7’s long tradition as a Detroit leader in investigative reporting [[and my own willingness to quietly accept a substantial pay cut I’ve lived with for the last two years), I would not have been on the air at WXYZ-TV this long. Nonetheless, my own experience has made me even more mindful of the countless families whose lives have been virtually devastated through absolutely no fault of their own, either.

Although it is deeply disappointing to see the further reduction of local investigative reporting—Channel 2 recently parted with its chief investigative reporter, a veteran with 22 years in Detroit, and newspapers across the region have made well-publicized cutbacks—I am not at all bitter and fully respect the right of my corporate managers to meet their business goals as they see fit. I’m sure they also appreciate my right to wonder, even in a tough economy, how a decision to reduce or eliminate investigative efforts as they are also doing at other stations in the group squares with the company’s promise that it remains “committed to…providing high-quality content…and public service.”

I’m leaving a wonderful newsroom full of journalists unlike any other I’ve ever had the pleasure to work with and a station that’s home to so many folks I admire and deeply respect. I know they will continue to do their best to make “on your side” more than a slogan.

Finally—and most important—to the people of Southeast Michigan: Thank you for showing that you still enthusiastically favor news organizations that exhibit the courage to serve up hard-hitting, no-nonsense reports about issues that really matter. I will be forever grateful for the support and encouragement that so many of you have voiced on the phone, in writing and personally wherever I go. I hope I can count on you to help me establish a new home for more tenacious local reporting before it disappears to an even greater extent.

Inspired by similar models that are already working in New England and Texas and California, places where investigative reporting was withering, I’ve begun the work to establish a Michigan Center For Investigative Reporting. As a 501[[c)3 non-profit organization, it would be home to a first-rate investigative reporting team that would have the time and resources to tenaciously dig deep into issues of real importance, to uncover what would otherwise remain hidden. I'm talking about picking up where I've left off and concentrating on stories I've promised to do, like the insurance crisis in Detroit.

This plan will require partners at local broadcast and print outlets that would carry the stories without any one of them having to bear the full cost. The lion’s share of the funding would come from grants from various sources and foundations…but to some extent, The Center will also need to count on “support from people like you,” as they say on public television and radio.

I’ve already begun conversations to help this happen…and I believe with real community support, it can. Detroit is a place that’s seen how tenacious investigative journalism is sometimes the only way to know what we’ll never hear from any politician’s soundbite, and to hold accountable the people who put their special interests ahead of the public interest.

There is so much to be done and I know the job of launching a new model to invigorate local investigative reporting here will not be easy. If you’re so inclined, I’d certainly appreciate reading your thoughts here, especially about whether such a model for investigative reporting can work in this area at this time...and your best suggestions and advice for making it happen. You can reach me with an e-mail to wilson@investigatemichigan.com.

Steve, I am deeply saddened to hear you possibly leaving the area. We need more like you around these days.
    Keep up the great work wherever you end up being.
    -Chub

Sorry to see you go. Your work will be missed indeed.

This is bad news. Only way to put it.

Steve, thanks for your hard work. I knows that for every short story on the news, hours of your work were required.

It would be wonderful if you were able to see the Kwame story through to the end, and to do so before WXYZ's owners make their big mistake permanent.

I also appreciate your presence on this board and your even temperament even as some of us took our shots at you. Very classy!

So sorry to hear you are leaving WXYZ, but will be anxiously awaiting hearing from you on your new venture. Thanks for all the great reports you have given us.

Steve,

I have always loved your reports. I hope you well in whatever you do, please keep in touch.

Mista Alan Guest

Wow, so sorry to hear this. I hope your new center takes off...this region needs it!

Sorry to see you go, Steve. I would think there's a rich vein of corruption in this town to keep an army of investigative reporters busy. I guess the corporate heads in Cincy could care less what happens in Detroit. You don't think they'll bring in Scott Lewis to replace you?

Metro Detroit will not be the same without Steve Wilson on the front lines. Thanks & Good Luck!

Good Luck in your new endeavor, Steve. I too have always enjoyed your reports and looked forward to your findings on all the investigations you have been involved with. Your determination and tenacity in getting to the heart of the stories was always something special.

I look forward to hearing more about your non-profit...be sure you keep DetroitYes! posted!

Default New Era

Thanks for all the kind words and support. Anyone with specific ideas on the best way to get The Michigan Center For Investigative Reporting up and running with local support, I'd love to hear from you.

Eno asked if I thought Scott Lewis might replace me here. Scott is a terrific, first-rate investgative reporter. You'd best ask him about his plans after leaving Channel 2 recently. With that said...While you'd think his 22 years here in Detroit would be an asset, I think he, too, has seen that often the demands on investigative reporters these days are not consistent with producing a first-rate, accurate, fair and in-depth report or series of broadcasts. He and I both have high standards about what we want to put our name on, as do others here in Detroit and beyond.

Many stations now expect to provide signficiantly less support to an investigative reporter and then have higher expectations about frequent appearance on the air. As you can imagine, getting on the air 3 or 4 times a week is just non consistent with taking the time to investigate topics of real significance and make sure you're not wrong. This is why in some cases you hear plenty of hype in the promos and then when you tune in, it's all sizzle and little, if any, steak. It's sort of like airport security...it SEEMS like security but when you look closely, you understand it's really just more the ILLUSION of security.

well put steve! I will miss your reports on WXYZ as well. I appreciate all the work you have put in throughout the years and it is my hope that you will continue to frequent and post on DetroitYES!

Steve, good luck in your new endeavor! Perhaps investigative reporting is best done when it's not dependent on what provides the highest Nielson ratings.

Thanks Steve for all your work thus far and hope you don't give up to uncover the facts through your new Center, which is quite innovative for Detroit and Michigan. You will be missed on TV and Channel 7 has lost a great reporter! Good luck! Bon Chance!

I second that you should locate those offices in downtown Detroit.

All the best to you, Steve, in your new endeavor. I'll never forget a day eight years ago when I walked out of my classroom at the old Cass Tech and there you were with your television crews interviewing the teacher next door!

I am glad that you're planning to stay in metro Detroit. Hope you'll continue to post here.

I am deeply saddened by this news. The loss of the quality of your reporting will be missed.

There is little news content on the air and our newspapers should be embarrassed to call themselves news.

As to your 501c3. It has merit. I imagine internet is the way to go. Get some paying advertisers. I write grants for our 501c3 although I have been sadly lazy this year. Should I come across any grants that apply to your goals, I will forward them.

One caution, make sure you keep meticulous records since many 501c3 are shams. Hey that could one of your first stories.

Write a book of your experiences. Wayne State Press would be a good distributor. Hit the lecture circuit and sell your book. Some pay honoraiums [[sp) some don't but it will highlight your organization. Keep a log book on attendees and create a newsletter.

If I think of any other suggestions, I will post. I am sure I can think of more suggestions but I suffer from insomnia and at 4 in the morning I not the brightest star in the sky.

One other thought, make sure Metro Times covers this story. Maybe you could free lance for them.

Im truely sorry to see Steve leave channel 7. He was truely an asset to the company, I really enjoyed viewing his reports over the years.

Just had a few more thoughts, become an associate professor at the various universities. Enlist the classes in research.

Grosse Pointe has a private local cable channel, maybe contract with them to do a monthly or occaisional program something like, all things point. Of course it would have to be local news but plenty of corruption to be found everywhere.

Best wishes and good luck.

Ps: sending a nasty letter to channel 7. They are complete idiots!

Sumas
    Last edited by sumas; February-26-10 at 04:47 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast