Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Miller High Life and Pabst.I did like that Hoffbauer Beer that Krogers used to sell but they don't anymore. Hear the Genesee commercials now in Detroit havn't seen it yet. as for Shiner I like that beer, CAN'T SAY IT'S CHEAP

Milwaukee's Best Ice.

Now I've participated, I have a question, just curious. Way back, when "generic" products were truly generic.... anyone here ever buy, or knew anyone that used to buy, that generic beer, come in a white can with the word "BEER" written in black lettering? That crap used to be stacked sky high on pallets. And... would this have been the hops version of Government Cheese? Just curious, trying to learn something here.

I remember when Farmer Jack had that "No Brand" brand. Just like you said white label , black lettering. Too young to try the Beer ,yet I did like the spagetti sauce.

Amstel, Heineken or Grolsch.

Well, to you it's export beer, to me it's domestic.

This made me weep a bit....

Thats so sad

The Dude Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Altes beer, thanks for the catch.

Carling Black Label is also included in the $1 bottles.
    Thought they stopped making Altes years ago.

Remeber Pfeiffer, Drewrys, E&B, National Bohemian, Meister Brau?
    Johnny Fifer and Brewster, the Goebel Rooster.

When Miller High Life was a premium beer? It used to be known as "The Champagne of Bottled Beer". Nowadays, the "Miller driver " takes away your Miller High Life if you live the champagne life.
    Last edited by The Dude; April-05-10 at 11:20 PM.

Back in the early 80's I bought a 6 pack of Top hat beer my friend and I each drank 1 botttle and ended up with the runs for 2 days...........I think that stuff was made out of ex-lax!!

Schlitz is now my standard go-to beer. Not dirt cheap, but not expensive either. Great slightly malty/hoppy taste compared to other macrobrews. PBR is just OK but cheaper and still drinkable. Other favorites are Shiner Bock, Shiner 97, Dixie, and Yuengling [[when available).

Can't believe no one said Busch.

And when I'm drinking with the ladies.. Busch Light. :-)

-Tahleel

PBR in the can at the dive. High Life on the docks. Fancy micro brews at the pub/club. Black and tans when the mood strikes.

My roomies dine with, breathe and sweat Miller Lite. I cannot even taste that beer anymore. Had to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Thought they stopped making Altes years ago.

Remeber Pfeiffer, Drewrys, E&B, National Bohemian, Meister Brau?
    Johnny Fifer and Brewster, the Goebel Rooster.

When Miller High Life was a premium beer? It used to be known as "The Champagne of Bottled Beer". Nowadays, the "Miller driver " takes away your Miller High Life if you live the champagne life.
    E&B Brew One-Oh-Three [[103)

Goebel Private Stock 22

Whadaya know, it's Mister Bo, National Bohemian Beer.

9mile&seneca Guest

Wise Cracks: Homer Simpson: Beer Quotes
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

9mile&seneca Guest

When I was seventeen
    I drank some very good beer
    I drank some very good beer I purchased
    With a fake ID
    My name was Brian McGee
    I stayed up listening to Queen
    When I was seventeen. Sung to the tune of "It Was a Very Good Year" by Sinatra

I've been drinking Hamm's lately, but I also enjoy Blatz on tap. Funny what a recession will do to a person.

I used to drink Foster's [[an Australian import) draft at the Port Bar in Hamtramck for $1.50. It was the cheapest they had at the time. I've heard the Aussies hate the stuff. Rite Aide sells it in 25.4 oz cans for $3. It's brewed by Oil Can Breweries.

Mabel, another black label, please.

PBR me ASAP.

Oly-ball parties???

Quote Originally Posted by agirlintheD View Post
    Oly-ball parties???
    You know it sister. A big plastic ball of suds in a box, no assembly required either.

All this talk 'bout cheap bier is pretty amusing. By contrast, I'm reminded of when one of the friends turned 16. To celebrate, to really splurge, we all pitched in for a case of Molson Canadiens [[no Gold at that time) bottles, think it was like 24 bucks, hung out in front of the party store and waited for someone to buy {another fine bygone tradition}. Funny thing is, we hauled that sucker all around the neighborhood, taking turns carrying it. As the night dragged on, it got much easier to carry, that case did. Must have been quite a sight. Man was we drunk! Heh, kids.

ggores, oh the memories!!! If we were feeling "oh-so-cosmopolitan" [[and not in a beer mood), we'd splurge on a few varieties of Boones Farm [[Tickle Pink and Strawberry Hill)....or if we'd really want to impress we'd go with Riunite D'Oro. Makes my head hurt thinking about it!!!

"Whiskey's too rough. Champagne COSTS too much. Vodka puts my mouth in gear"
    Tom T. Hall ladies and gennelmen, you know you've been waiting for it.

Hearts of hearts, gods-honest-truth, nothing, no cheep beer can ever replace Strohs. It's a name which the Grammar Natzi's cannot proclaim inappropriate use of the possessive "s". For it was "Stroh's" and not "Stroh".

Even reddog can attest to the bumper sticker plastered about, which read "stroh's says YES to Michigan!"

Memories indeed.

I just had a conversation about DRC Race Track with an old friend. It's inspiring. It's inspiring to know that at one point in time, cops took snoozers in their patrol cars. That fat men sold illegal fireworks in their garage's... that you could carry on, carrying around bottles of Canadien Beer. With not so much as a wink from observant neighbors. Heh.

Stroh's {or 'shorts'} as we used to call it... stopped delivering kegs of that stuff about a year-and-a-half- ago. A sad day indeed. Now I gotta deal with PBR on tap {not so good, kids}.

Now, if a thread could be started about the "favorite cheap wine", eh boy, I'm sure that topic could really take off into places before unbeknowenst. Selah.

Time to don the shit-kickers and slip into a favorite Dive.... no smoking? Eh, Okee Doke.

What a marvelous invention, the party ball. Never partook an Oly-ball, but I've helped to kill a Bud Light one. Are party balls still available? If so, where?

I just tried a six pack of Monterrey, purchased at Aldi, $4.99 a six pack. It tastes like Coronna too me, at half the price. Serve well chilled, it goes down easy. Better with a lime twist.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2