Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What's your favorite cheap beer? [[if any.)

Something on the light side, for a change. Recently got turned on to Genesee beer. $ 14.99/ 30 pk. at a local grocer. Big in upstate NY, only recently marketed here. Genny actually doesn't taste too bad. Make sure it's real cold. I put the cans in the freezer for about 10 min. before opening. If you have too much, it'll give ya a "cheap beer" hangover & lotsa' toilet time the next day. What are some of you guys' favorite budget brews?

Old Milwaukee

Milwaukee's best

LaCrosse Lager runs about $14./30 pack. It's ok. City Brewery, is now owned by its employees. It is made at what used to be the corporate headquarters of Heileman brewery but Heileman was bought up and kicked around a few times. Even Stroh's was involved. The brewery was abandoned but local interests came together and some of the original employees were put to work again as owners making LaCrosse Lager instead of Heileman Old Style.

Ah, yes- the beast. Can't forget about that. My friends & I used to laugh about Scheafer's being swill water. Where do they sell LaCrosse at?

Sorry about the spelling- Schaefer. You know what I meant.

Life is too short......

Iron City Beer

shiners out of texas

still like the rolling rock

I enjoy the dollar bottles of Blatz and Altas at Atlas Bar in Hamtramck.

Ravine Guest

Blatz!! Damn right!!

I don't drink, anymore, but Blatz was my beer. Folks who dismiss it as being cheap, shitty beer have no idea. Cheap, yes; shitty, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I enjoy the dollar bottles of Blatz and Altas at Atlas Bar in Hamtramck.
    Did you mean Atlas beer or Altes Beer?

At the Dakota Inn you can still get a pitcher of Blatz. Not a blatz in a can fan, on draft is another story.

I almost always buy Miller High Life but sometimes "upgrade" to MGD. Whenever I'm in Frankenmuth though, I always stop at Tiffany's and get a Black Label [[or 2 or 3 or...).

They serve it in the can for $1.25. I am now on the hunt for that one locally. Several years ago [[OK, more like 15+) when I worked at Arbor Drugs, we had a regular customer that came in every day and bought a 24-pk of Goebel. Brought his empty case in and got a new one out of the cooler. My dad also drank a lot of Zho-bell when I was growing up, I think it may have been my first beer in fact.

Milwaukee's Beast...we used it to put out a bonfire one time in the back 40. It wasn't worth drinking!

I miss Falstaff bottles with the twist off caps and the little riddles underneath. Visual puns. Terrible beer, but the riddles made it worth drinking.

Last edited by gnome; February-27-10 at 08:30 AM.

There was a young lady named Annheuser, who swore that no man could surprise her. Miller took a chance, found a Schlitz in her pants, and now she is sadder, Budweiser.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Did you mean Atlas beer or Altes Beer?
    Altes beer, thanks for the catch.

Carling Black Label is also included in the $1 bottles.

Try Yuengling premiun...better than Budweiser.

Old Milwaukee in a thin crystal flute on my 90 ft yacht anchored at Fiji alone with my mother-in- law watching an old Kojak re-run.

Gnome,
    I used to drink Lucky Lager beer in So. Cal. in the 70's. $1.99/a twelve pack. They had the same type of caps. The drunker you got, the easier the puzzle.
    My cheap beer now is Natural Ice or Milwaukee's Best Ice, 30 packs. [[For the discount).

I loved those caps, downside was that you could smell the Falstaff Headache coming on with each twist of the wrist. Close to frozen, the slushier the better, for that stuff.

Within the last couple of years Kroger carried something called Josef Hoffbauer. Again, only ice-cold otherwise you get some weird glycol sweetener aftertaste. With some nacho cheez doritos as a taste killer, the Hoffbauer stuff is usable, but barely. Kind of got off the beer thing lately, so don't know if Kroger still carries it or not, but at $6 bucks a 12 it's a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Old Milwaukee in a thin crystal flute on my 90 ft yacht anchored at Fiji alone with my mother-in- law watching an old Kojak re-run.
    Sounds like the beginning of a trashy novel!

Old Swill-waukee got me out of a jam or two when I was broke and wanted a cold beer. It's like all inexpensive ran-it-through-a-horse-first beer, it gives you a cheep buzz and burns off fast!

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Within the last couple of years Kroger carried something called Josef Hoffbauer. Again, only ice-cold otherwise you get some weird glycol sweetener aftertaste. With some nacho cheez doritos as a taste killer, the Hoffbauer stuff is usable, but barely.
    Holy Shitake mushroom, I had the mis-fortune of buying that stuff once. It was the absolute worst thing I've ever tasted, and I can stomach a crappy beer or two, but this stuff was on a completely different level. Don't let the price lure you in, it's cheap for a reason! I think that stuff is produced this way: Beer spill at large macrobrewery --> Spill is Shop Vac'd and mopped up --> Shop Vac is emptied and mops are wrung out into container --> resulting fluid is run through a horse, then canned and sold at a discount.
    Last edited by johnsmith; March-26-10 at 07:21 AM. Reason: revised per canuck's proofreading/corrections ;)

John Smith-

Don't let the price lure you in, it's cheap for a reason! I think that stuff is produced this way: Beer spill at large macrobrewery --> Spill is Shop Vac'd and mopped up --> Shop Vac is emptied and mops are wrung out into container --> resulting fluid is canned and sold at a discount.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but dont forget to run-it-through-a-horse-first.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    John Smith-

Don't let the price lure you in, it's cheap for a reason! I think that stuff is produced this way: Beer spill at large macrobrewery --> Spill is Shop Vac'd and mopped up --> Shop Vac is emptied and mops are wrung out into container --> resulting fluid is canned and sold at a discount.

Yes, but dont forget to run-it-through-a-horse-first.
    Duly noted and corrected. I wouldn't want to spread any false information.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast