Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Snow

neighbor Guest

Default Snow

Why does it seem like every other homeowner or small business owner shovels, plows, or blows the snow from their lot or driveway directly in to the street?

Besides from being dumb, lazy, and dangerous isn't this illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by neighbor View Post
    Why does it seem like every other homeowner or small business owner shovels, plows, or blows the snow from their lot or driveway directly in to the street?

Besides from being dumb, lazy, and dangerous isn't this illegal?
    I haven't noticed this in my neighborhood. Actually, in my hood, it's mostly shovelers, and there are neat piles of snow on the grassy areas. I'm actually pretty proud of my street -- at least this winter.

I have noticed a number of people in my neighborhood in Livonia doing that. I think it is a stupiud thing to do...why not put it on the grassy areas along your driveway, lot or along the curb, instead of putting it in the street where people will have to drive through it. In these times of budgetary crisis in just about all cities, there is no guarantee that the streets will be plowed or cleaned like they may have been in the past...this just creates a worse condition on already bad roads. Dumb

"Not my problem anymore!"

Well it is illegal. I worked for a landscape company that plowed in the winter. I always felt sorry for commercial businesses that had nowhere to push snow. It would have to be hauled away at very steep prices.

I have an ancient snowblower that sometimes works and some times doesn't. When it is working, I clear the street and neighbors drives.

Our neighbor has a plow on his truck. I saw him using it to plow our public street the other day. Now that's a nice neighbor to have!

STUPID. I know the mentality is that the plow truck will come by and scrape it away but that don't happen. What does happen is the people drive over it, pack it down turning that section of street in front of their driveway into speed bumps. Wait maybe thats a good thing?
    I like when the people do it as your driving by. Love the possibility of rocks being thrown at my car.

Why does every snow truck driver and city plow snow onto the sidewalks? This irritates the shit out of me. Especially when you walk up to a street crossing and you have to walk through a foot high snow pile to cross.

The only place I have ever seen the sidewalks taken care of to the same level of importance as the road in this state is up in Marquette.

My city tells people not to shovel into the street, don't know if against the law. The city is really good about clearing the side streets, but there are some neighbors who always shovel into the street after the street is cleared. If they would just push it next to the curb no one would care, but they just shovel it right out there in the middle. I have often thought that if I had a snow blower I would go down there and blow that *** snow back up in their driveway and dare them to report me. But then I think, oh well, it is just snow, will eventually melt, and don't want to find some disgusting things in my yard they might retalilate with.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitnerd View Post
    "not my problem anymore!"

--- nimby ---

Retroit Guest

Call the police [[on the non-emergency number).

State law:
    A person shall not deposit, or cause to be deposited, snow, ice or slush on any roadway or highway.
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/[[S[[vzx...677a&highlight=

Punky, I know the feeling. Best to obey our laws. It is fun to fantisize though.