Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Downtown dining round-up: A bistro for Campus Martius and rumors galore

The good news is that this spring, Campus Martius Park will debut a new American bistro style cafe in the Au Bon Pain location, according to Bob Gregory, president of the Detroit 300 Conservancy

Ambiance Restaurant and Ultra Lounge will open March 27 at 211 W. Congress at Shelby. Here's hoping that Ambiance breaks the curse of the former bank building, which has been the site of several closures, including Confidential, Congress and The Bank.
    http://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/dtdining022310.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Designerguy24 View Post
    Ambiance Restaurant and Ultra Lounge will open March 27 at 211 W. Congress at Shelby.
    What's an "ultra lounge"?

Yuck more chains in Greektown.

...debut a new American bistro style cafe ...
    I've read this same info in a couple of places. Does anyone know if the name of the new Campus Martius place is American Bistro Style Cafe, or is that a description of the type of restaurant?

ABSC seems like a strange name, but then it sounds like a mash-up high-concept place ... is there a major difference between a bistro and a cafe? Maybe the brain trust here can clear this up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I agree the character of Greektown has changed, but I was not aware of a massive influx of chain restaurants. Did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by Melocoton View Post
    A place where they can charge double or triple for the same drink you get at your corner bar.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I agree the character of Greektown has changed, but I was not aware of a massive influx of chain restaurants. Did I miss something?

I think he's referencing the article mentioning that Five Guys Burgers & Fries is opening in Greektown.

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    I think he's referencing the article mentioning that Five Guys Burgers & Fries is opening in Greektown.
    At least it's not Applebees... knock on wood...

"Chain anything" in Detroit would be great news. It would mean that Wall Street was beginning to invest in Detroit. I understand that the "arts, music, and culture" crowd are offended by chains, but the presence of chains indicates economic faith in the future of an area.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    "Chain anything" in Detroit would be great news. It would mean that Wall Street was beginning to invest in Detroit. I understand that the "arts, music, and culture" crowd are offended by chains, but the presence of chains indicates economic faith in the future of an area.
    I think the emphasis among the clientele you're talking about is on shopping local. The argument goes that when you shop at a chain store, your dollars go whizzing off to an accounting office in Delaware, whereas if you spend them at a locally owned business, your money will recirculate in the community. Actually, not a bad argument for shopping small and local. Think of it as a spin on the "slow food" movement.

While Five Guys is a chain, the franchise rights for the metro Detroit area are owned by a resident of the metro Detroit area, so I don't think it should get lumped into the same category of an Applebee's. It's a local person investing in the city, creating jobs, just doing so on a brand that is quickly building in popularity. I see no reason to disparage that.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I think the emphasis among the clientele you're talking about is on shopping local. The argument goes that when you shop at a chain store, your dollars go whizzing off to an accounting office in Delaware, whereas if you spend them at a locally owned business, your money will recirculate in the community. Actually, not a bad argument for shopping small and local. Think of it as a spin on the "slow food" movement.
    Profits may go whizzing off, but the rent, taxes, wages, and much of the raw materials dollars stay in the locality. Plus you have an active entity providing a service/product in place of an empty building.

You can generally tell if a shopping mall is going downhill when the Gap or the Cache chain stores are being replaced by "Modern Fashions" or "De De's Boutique". The next step is empty stores.

Profits may go whizzing off, but the rent, taxes, wages, and much of the raw materials dollars stay in the locality.
    Well, there you go. There IS a difference in where the money goes.

Plus you have an active entity providing a service/product in place of an empty building.
    I believe I was comparing chains to locally owned and operated ventures, not to abandoned buildings.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    At least it's not Applebees... knock on wood...
    ...there used to be a Bennigan's in Greektown.

My point was that whenever something like this opens, it helps dilute the Greekness of Greektown. I'd rather see a chain coney joint as the coney joints generally sell greek food [[greek salad, kababs, gyros).

As far as CM is concerned anything that is well run and knows that it caters to park-goers will be successful there.

My point was that whenever something like this opens, it helps dilute the Greekness of Greektown. I'd rather see a chain coney joint as the coney joints generally sell greek food [[greek salad, kababs, gyros).

As far as CM is concerned anything that is well run and knows that it caters to park-goers will be successful there.
    Yeah, but there's not much Greekness left there. Still, I feel you. Every time I see a new joint open, it gets me down. What's the new joint? Red Pig Barbecue, or something like that? Oh, well ...

If you have to ask, you probably don't belong.

Umm ... ultra-overpriced? That's what comes to mind for me.

So what is an ultralounge anyway, besides a marketing gimmick? All these venues share a decidedly upscale, classy vibe. Cover charges are usually $20. Décor is modern, sleek and sexy — and so is the staff. Big, comfy chairs and sofas in luxe colors and fabrics cluster around low tables in lower lighting. Music may be CD mixes or a live DJ, but in either case tracks will tend toward house, techno, dance and more eclectic styles. Plasma-screen TVs show trippy videos or synch their swirling colors with massive, state-of-the-art sound systems. Multiple rooms showcase different designs, stairways lead enticingly to roped-off VIP areas and balconies overlook the dance floors. Professional dancers and models mingle with the crowd, often hired by management to pretty up the place.

[quote=HairyBackJoe;123886]So what is an ultralounge anyway, besides a marketing gimmick? All these venues share a decidedly upscale, classy vibe. Cover charges are usually $20. Décor is modern, sleek and sexy — and so is the staff. Big, comfy chairs and sofas in luxe colors and fabrics cluster around low tables in lower lighting. Music may be CD mixes or a live DJ, but in either case tracks will tend toward house, techno, dance and more eclectic styles. Plasma-screen TVs show trippy videos or synch their swirling colors with massive, state-of-the-art sound systems. Multiple rooms showcase different designs, stairways lead enticingly to roped-off VIP areas and balconies overlook the dance floors. Professional dancers and models mingle with the crowd, often hired by management to pretty up the place.
    /quote]

Sounds to me like a strip club from that description.

An Ultra Lounge is not a strip club at all. Although there are some similarities, the focus is NOT on strippers or models. There is also sometimes live shows, such as at Vain Ultralounge on Woodward at John R. And they aren't always 20 dollars cover. But 10 seems like a common price. I've noticed a lot of these opening up lately.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    An Ultra Lounge is not a strip club at all. Although there are some similarities, the focus is NOT on strippers or models. There is also sometimes live shows, such as at Vain Ultralounge on Woodward at John R. And they aren't always 20 dollars cover. But 10 seems like a common price. I've noticed a lot of these opening up lately.
    Same, and to me I think it is more about hanging out in an "elite" atmosphere than the food or drinks that are offered... I dunno it really isn't my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    Same, and to me I think it is more about hanging out in an "elite" atmosphere than the food or drinks that are offered... I dunno it really isn't my thing.
    I guess that I am just a bar and pool table type guy who is looking for some good and congenial conversation with the other guys at the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Designerguy24 View Post
    The good news is that this spring, Campus Martius Park will debut a new American bistro style cafe in the Au Bon Pain location, according to Bob Gregory, president of the Detroit 300 Conservancy

Ambiance Restaurant and Ultra Lounge will open March 27 at 211 W. Congress at Shelby. Here's hoping that Ambiance breaks the curse of the former bank building, which has been the site of several closures, including Confidential, Congress and The Bank.
    http://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/dtdining022310.aspx
    I miss Congress!