Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New coffee shop to open across from the old Mercury Coffee Bar!

Construction is underway on Astro Coffee, the shop Daisuke Hughes plans to open on Michigan Avenue in Corktown late this summer.
    http://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/a...fee022310.aspx

Good news. Hopefully they will have something open for the St. Patrick's Day parade. I still can't believe that the Mercury was not capitalized enough and had to close a couple of weeks before the Parade. St. Patrick's Day would have been their Christmas!

why was the Mercury only open for about five minutes? what happened????

The owner of Mercury Cafe didn't pay its bills to cover the cost of contruction of the buildings [[ just my theory). So he lost his investment and went on his way. For me as a business man: 'If you don't present your proposals and come up with vantage points [[ WHY!) We're not going to do it.'

From the Model D article:
    Remains of the D is hosting a talent show as a fund-raiser for Astro Coffee on Friday, Feb. 26, at the Polish Village Veterans Hall in Southwest Detroit. Admission is $20, or $10 for performers. Call 313-615-3425 to register your lip-synch, dance routine or magic trick and in the meantime, keep up-to-date with Astro at its blog.
    I wish him luck, but having to hold a fundraiser to open your business bodes ill for long-term success.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    The owner of Mercury Cafe didn't pay its bills to cover the cost of contruction of the buildings [[ just my theory). So he lost his investment and went on his way. For me as a business man: 'If you don't present your proposals and come up with vantage points [[ WHY!) We're not going to do it.'
    Do you recall a thread about Mercury coffee way back when it closed? According to the posts there were nine partners involved in the business. That would tend to make it nearly impossible for any business to operate.

I will need to check out this new Astro, anything that livens up that part of town is okay by me. I try to patronize Corktown area businesses when I have an opportunity to be in that area.

Just curious- why would he construct an entirely new coffee shop when the Mercury is sitting there empty and ready to go? Why not just buy or lease that shop and reopen it immediately?

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Just curious- why would he construct an entirely new coffee shop when the Mercury is sitting there empty and ready to go? Why not just buy or lease that shop and reopen it immediately?
    That was my first thought as well. If I were ever to get in the restaurant business, I'd want to be the second operator of a space, so that the previous proprietor had done most of the work already. Seems that might increase the odds of success.

My guess is that 8 owners equals 8 court battles.

The MCB was a case of gigantic dreams and little resources. Todd had no clue man and he brought everyone down with him.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    Do you recall a thread about Mercury coffee way back when it closed? According to the posts there were nine partners involved in the business. That would tend to make it nearly impossible for any business to operate.

I will need to check out this new Astro, anything that livens up that part of town is okay by me. I try to patronize Corktown area businesses when I have an opportunity to be in that area.
    Kinda stupid how this place is opening across the street from Mercury, it'll make it difficult for any coffee shop to ever reoccupy that location, at least in the immediate future. Maybe something else can open up there. A cafe with a full menu or something. The basement has a lot of seating. There is also enough room in the basement to have small shows/DJs.

As far as having that many owners, the problem isn't that there was too many owners, the problem was that there was 9 or however many owners, yet they hired 30 employees. They must have been too lazy to work, because isn't 9 workers enough? They should have made it a cooperative business, who are all "owners" but also all workers, who wouldn't hire "employees" because everyone who worked there would be an worker/owner. It would be rad if that was what replaced Mercury. The decor is awesome and very tastefully done. The location across from slows is also great.

Regardless, I'll still go to this new place. But I don't live in Corktown, so probably not that much.

Is there anything you don't know anything about but still insist on commenting?

I will miss that mural. It has become a landmark. I hope that the Mercury space can reopen. I love the vistas from there. It was such a pleasant space.

It would be cool if they could keep the mural by moving the boards inside and reassembling it in there. Kind of a nod to the building's recent past amid the grit of Michigan Avenue/Corktown.

Great to hear they're focusing on the reuse of salvaged and recycled materials. This should be a good example of historic preservation.

Here's an article about it from today's Detroit News:
    http://detroitnews.com/article/20100...rging-Corktown

I wish the dude well, but there aren't the rooftops to support that type of biz there, especially without a drive-thru

Quote Originally Posted by chitaku View Post
    The MCB was a case of gigantic dreams and little resources. Todd had no clue man and he brought everyone down with him.
    Todd was instrumental in my hiring at Zingerman's. He was a partner in the deli at the time. He was great to work for and with. He was visionary in many ways, having been involved in the local food, garden, farming and education movements. I doubt he had 'no clue'. It's more likely that the number of partners was a fatal blow. But I guess you might conclude he had no clue if he allowed that to happen and took part in it.

Kind of off-topic, whatever happened to Cafe De Troit downtown? Where exactly was it located again?

I went to the fundraiser on Saturday and I am very excited to see Astro open. The small business community in Detroit is pretty awesome and supportive of one another; I almost wish I had the capital to open one myself.

I also look forward to somewhere to hang out that doesn't involve alcohol! I would much rather buy a coffee at Astro than a Starbucks or something.

[quote=choquant;124871]I went to the fundraiser on Saturday and I am very excited to see Astro open. The small business community in Detroit is pretty awesome and supportive of one another; I almost wish I had the capital to open one myself.

I also look forward to somewhere to hang out that doesn't involve alcohol! I would much rather buy a coffee at Astro than a Starbucks or something.[/quote]
    I'm with you on that one.