Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Freep/news street boxes

Woke up early, thought I would go out a buy a paper for my mother from the box a block away. This was about 7:30 am. Drove up, boxes were both empty. Had to think where other boxes might be. Drove over to boxes across from a popular coffee shop. Boxes were empty but still had crumbled versions of Friday News in the windows. Saw a cube truck with "publishing company" on it and waited.

The delivery guy comes out with maybe 10 copies of Free Press and Detroit News each. Both, had only one section of news for the Saturday Edition. The guy insisted I take my choice for free. He is obviously a disgruntled employee. Poor thing is made to deliver obviously limited copies to high volume newstands and probably is beaten up verbally for things outside his control.

On one level I felt bad for excepting a free paper, on another level I support the employee's disinfranchisment. On still another level, the lack of current news in this very slim document wasn't worth the 50 cent price tag. Also the news in it was several days old. My mother read key stories titles and it was old old news to me. We were able to discourse without me reading its lame "old" news.

I am truely saddened by the demise of our papers. The electronic editions don't sadden me, it is the lack of any news of note. I can only hope that visionaries recognize the lack of colgolmerates to report news as it happens and their political bias. It is scary to think our news have become the Pablum of this generation.

I hear that, when I check the paper, and it's only one or two sections, why drop half a buck ? What we need now, are neighborhood papers. Publish thy self.
    Last edited by Bigb23; April-18-09 at 10:30 AM.

Yeah, the state of our local papers is sad indeed. Yesterday, went to see the movie "State of Play,'" most of which takes place in a busy, mythical newspaper building of The Washington Globe [[much like the real Washington Post and "All the President's Men"). As I watched the reporter, played by Russell Crowe, scramble to find the truth in the midst of chaos and competition, I couldn't help but think back to a couple of weekends ago when I walked past the deserted Free Press building. I wrote some pieces for that paper when it was thriving and the building was electric and pulsating. I'd walk through desks occupied by characters right out of "The Front Page," the Neil Shines and Doc Greenes of the world. Now our locals are reduced to one section [[why even call it "Section A"...it's the ONLY section). The excitement I witnessed on screen seemed like a throwback to another era...an excitement Detroit will never see again. Sad, indeed.

I canceled my subscription a couple of years back. I'm sympathetic to the industry's plight. Less subscribers means less ad money which means less money to pay journalists which means less coverage which means less of a reason to subscribe. It's a vicious cycle, and when you factor in them giving away the content online for free, why ... I dunno. Yikes. Glad I'm not a stockholder.
    I will give the papers credit for occasionally rising to greatness, such as the text message scandal in the Free Press. And I do enjoy reading Bill McGraw's stuff and Stephen Henderson's columns. But it just seems that if the paper is THAT small and there's so much going on in a huge metro area every day, why is it that I'm still reading stupid schitt about meetings of deer management boards in Rochester? Or village board meetings in Milford? If I live in those towns and care about them, I'll get them from other sources. This is the News and Free Press, not the Podunk Light And Shopper. Keep in mind there used to be THREE newspapers in this town 50 years ago. The Internet is as amazing as it is cruel.
    Last edited by buildingsofdetroit; April-18-09 at 02:55 PM.

Paper reminds me of what the strike paper use to look like years ago. If you want to see some news, you need to get a New York Times.

At least you can find a paper box! Has anyone else notice there are significantly fewer paper boxes around now than there were even a few years back? There used to be at least a couple groups of Detroit News and/or Free Press boxes along E. Jefferson between the RenCen and Jos. Campau. I drove that stretch twice in the past week and couldn't find a single one! And I was actually looking to buy a paper, too.

Then I started hunting around downtown for another paper box I could stop at.... there aren't that many, AND many of them are next to no parking zones so I can't stop my car to get one.

You spoke of stories found in print that aren't new news. I've noticed this is particularly bad on the Detroit News and Freep websites as of late. For two or three days the same story headlines will come up on the homepage, even if there is other more recent news hidden somewhere else on the free sites. I haven't noticed it nearly so much in the print editions, though.

I guess if a single section print edition isn't worth your 50 cents, just buy on Thursday and Friday when it's a more traditional multi-section paper. The Sunday versions are huge but are also $1.50.

I'm kind of torn. I WANT to support these papers, so I don't usually mind spending the 50 cents at a paper box or gas station because at least somewhere inside I'll find something to read that's interesting. But you're right.... the paper is so thin that sometimes it's probably not worth it. But I salute these two for not going the route so many smaller papers are going - web only or right out of business. I personally would much rather read a physical paper than complicated e-editions. I'd like to think that my little 50 cents the day that I do buy a paper is keeping somebody's job. Plus, I know that the physical paper I do buy will be recycled and not landfilled.

Ravine Guest

I'm here to throw in a "Yeah, me too."
    I've got bad news [[heh!) for the Freep. I don't give a damn about their e-dition. I want my newspaper to be on, well excuse my fussiness, paper. Further, ever since they offered an early out to a bunch of their writers-- in a continuing, accelerated attempt to eliminate as much true local content as possible-- the print edition has been a sorry-ass excuse for a Detroit newspaper, with the decline attaining an even steeper angle a few weeks ago when they launched their "new & improved" e-dition, coincident with the dropping of every-day home delivery of what's left of the print edition.
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but I even miss Nickie McFuckin'Whirter.

I really miss my paper in the morning, but I'm not going to pay the ridiculous price the Freep wants to see it online. I have seen one of the smaller papers, and I agree, there is no way that I would pay a half a buck for that fish wrap.

It's too bad how the way we get news has changed. One can't get a decent local news program on the TV because it's all formula [[BREAKING NEWS!!! MONICA CONYERS Farted on the steps of the Coleman Young Center) that kind of junk, and I don't need fluff pieces, I want to see hard core news stories.

Who is going to do the investigative reporting now? How will the Kwame Kllpatricks and their lavish spending at the City's expense be exposed to the average citizen? Through this crummy little Newspaper? Hell, the Makeit up Daily out in Macomb County is now a better Newspaper than the Freep or Snooze...

just my .02 cents worth.

Retroit Guest

How much "new" news occurs on a daily basis? Perhaps weekly or semi-weekly editions would be sufficient to cover local news. National/international news is not generally covered by Detroit-based reporters, so people shouldn't expect anything "original" from the News or Free Press on those fronts; it's usually just a cut & paste from the Associated Press. If you need to read your national/international news from paper, perhaps a subscription to The New York Times would suit your needs.

If there's a big news story, like another Text Message Scandal [[God help us!), maybe they could revive the Special Edition.

"No news is good news."

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Woke up early, thought I would go out a buy a paper for my mother from the box a block away. This was about 7:30 am. Drove up, boxes were both empty. Had to think where other boxes might be. Drove over to boxes across from a popular coffee shop. Boxes were empty but still had crumbled versions of Friday News in the windows. Saw a cube truck with "publishing company" on it and waited.

The delivery guy comes out with maybe 10 copies of Free Press and Detroit News each. Both, had only one section of news for the Saturday Edition. The guy insisted I take my choice for free. He is obviously a disgruntled employee. Poor thing is made to deliver obviously limited copies to high volume newstands and probably is beaten up verbally for things outside his control.

On one level I felt bad for excepting a free paper, on another level I support the employee's disinfranchisment. On still another level, the lack of current news in this very slim document wasn't worth the 50 cent price tag. Also the news in it was several days old. My mother read key stories titles and it was old old news to me. We were able to discourse without me reading its lame "old" news.

I am truely saddened by the demise of our papers. The electronic editions don't sadden me, it is the lack of any news of note. I can only hope that visionaries recognize the lack of colgolmerates to report news as it happens and their political bias. It is scary to think our news have become the Pablum of this generation.

Tried to find a sunday paper yesterday, most of the boxes were empty. Finally found one outside of a coney island of Telegraph. I think those papers have one foot in the grave.

I think the democratic process will suffer if we lose our local investigative news. As the papers scale back we lose on of the checks in the system. For this reason I continue to subscribe to the paper it's the small part I can do to help protect it.

I also prefer a 'paper' newspaper. I like being able to take my one folded section to the table and read while eating my meal. Or take the crossword out to the porch.

I also haven't had a paper delivered in many years. But that's due to the shoddy delivery people I've had to deal with. I got tired of keeping track of which papers I missed so I could get them deducted from my bill only to have the carrier complain about not getting a tip.

As for the placement of the paper boxes, I was told by one of the truck-carriers that fill them, as he was removing the boxes located in the strip mall nearest my home, the distribution centers want to do away with the boxes all together. They want the papers to be sold by retail businesses. That way they don't have to worry about theft of the papers or the money in the boxes.

This my 2 cents worth.

I think there is plenty of "new" news every day. Some of it is just positive and we all know no one wants to read that crap anyhow! Sheesh

As to the end of paper boxes on the sidewalk, I understand their position, but I really can't agree... I'd much rather pull up to the curb, hop out with my fifty cents and be back in my car in 20 seconds than have to haul into some shady gas station and risk having my car get hit by some other idiot because there are clearly no parking lot lines at any gas station, and then have to wait for Joe Shmo in front of me to pick out his cigarettes and whatever whatever and five minute later I want my 4 minutes and 40 seconds back!

I agree with you Rocko. I think the hope of the retailers is that you will buy something else besides 'just' the newspaper.

Boy, you guys are right! Went to the box a block and 1/2 away. Empty. Went to the box near a popular coffee house. Empty. Went to a gas station where no one speaks or reads english and a gun is leveled at your navel and plenty of papers. Go figure.

The lack of transit, as well as residents and pedestrians in general, downtown has a big impact on news boxes just as it does with retail. In Toronto, there are 4 dailies along with free transit papers like "Metro", Real Estate News, Job News, New/Used Autos, etc. You can't swing a cat without hitting 10 boxes on every corner.
    The dailies are however competing for circulation in a shrinking ad market so there are free copies available in many donut shops, Home Depots, etc. If you keep an eye out you can get a free paper almost every day.

I miss the real Free Press I subscribed to. From what I have read with the non delivered days editions, I don't think that I will purchase many more from a box or a gas station. Seems like half of the paper now days is the ad for the company that is buying old money.

Warren Buffet On Newspapers
    from Wall Street Journal Online:

"...But his view on the future of the newspaper industry is dismal. "For most newspapers in the United States, we would not buy them at any price," he said. "They have the possibility of going to just unending losses."
    As long as newspapers were essential to readers, they were essential to advertisers, he said. But news is now available in many other venues, he said.
    Berkshire has a substantial investment in Washington Post Co. He said the company has a solid cable business, a good reason to hold on to it, but its newspaper business is in trouble.
    Mr. Munger called newspapers' woes "a national tragedy....These monopoly daily newspapers have been an important sinew to our civilization, they kept government more honest than they would otherwise be."
    Last edited by Bobl; May-04-09 at 05:59 PM. Reason: quotes added

Since Bobl bumped this thread, I'd like to ask your opinions.

Do you think most people get 'complete' information from internet news sites? In other words, when I have a newspaper, I scan all the headlines and usually read about 50-70% of the articles. When I use the internet sites, I really don't 'click' on many of the headlines to read the rest of the article.

Any thoughts?