Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Lafayette Bldg. collapse set for 1 a.m.

Sorry for the duplicate thread topic, but I figured this might get buried in the other thread. Talked to the excavator operator about an hour ago. He said they're bringing down the eastern elevator wall at 1 a.m., pushing it in from Griswold side. Just thought I'd put it out there for those who want to capture a sad but incredible sight. I'd get there early though, in case it falls right away.

The only reason this is happening is due to two men's lack of vision and for individual causes. It would be nice if people would wake up to what has really happened here. The demolition of this building does not benefit the greater good of Downtown Detroit no matter how it is spun. Nothing will be built on this location for at least 50+ years. Let us enjoy the sight of the disgustingly patriotic Adamo Hummer at this site and at the future demolition sites around Detroit. Nothing says A-Mer-Ri-Ca like an Adamo Hummer with a bald eagle on it, paid for by the citizens of Detroit.

Not to sound morbid, but is there video of Lafayette's final hit [[if it's already happened)?

It came down at exactly 4:30 AM this morning after a lot of frighteningly precarious swaying. There is a lot of video, with at least 5 different cameramen capturing the event from several vantage points. The Lafayette Building put on a real show for its last hurrah, complete with explosions & molten steel. Keep an eye out here for the videos, buildingsofdetroit will notify us all.

Just uploaded a few photos of the demolition crews cutting steel beams hours before the rest of the building was brought down. It was a spectacular sight, aided by the beautiful fog, low winds, & relatively temperate weather [[for February).

The last night of this famous view! Tonight on it is forever altered; the Lafayette Building's imposing 14-story facade is no more.

Video coming soon!

Great photos, Gsgeorge! The colors are so bold, I thought they were paintings at first.

Gee, look at all that "structural unsoundness" going on!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4034/...bbaa08d209.jpg

Beautiful... I have said before that the elevator wall without brick has a much more interesting form than the brick wall that covered it. If I ever have the money to build a new Lafayette Building on the site it will definitely be based on this... [[a man can dream!)

Fantastic photo work! I agree with ^^^. The colors are so vivid and bold, and the images are crisp. Sad day but a great job in capturing Lafayette's last moments. Can't wait to see more [[photos, that is).

I used to work in that building....so sad to see it go. Used to look out the 7th floor on the Michigan Ave side...could watch the parades when they went down there. Saw G. Mennen [[Soapy)Williams there a few times...his office was there. Loved the cafeteria on the 1st floor. Great memories from 1974 to 1981. Goodbye, old girl!

great work. The pictures, not the demo.

Wonderful photos GSgeorge! Thanks.

OK, this made me a little misty eyed. I've never been inside, but every time a major building comes down, it's hard.

Speramus meliora; resurget cineribus.

As has been said, the worst thing about this one is that nothing will be built on that site for decades, if ever. It's an odd-shaped lot and doesn't lend itself to easy redevelopment... even if the economy was humming along, which of course it isn't.

Default Downtown Detroit Movie Set

So sad to see another gem biting the dust. On November 24, 2009, my husband and I were driving through downtown Detroit and noticed some unusual activity on this landmark corner. I snapped a couple of shots through the windshield and thought this one might be of interest to the group today. Whatever that movie is, it captured the Lafayette in its death throes and will provide a legacy of sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerville elaine View Post
    Whatever that movie is, it captured the Lafayette in its death throes and will provide a legacy of sorts.
    The Red Dawn remake slated for release in November 2010.

This is truly the end of the La Fayette Building and a beginning of another parking lot.

incredible shots geoff!

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Gee, look at all that "structural unsoundness" going on!
    Yes, that building was obviously teetering on the brink of collapse. Good thing we tore it down, over a period of several months. Great work guys!

So the city is safe once again, and now we can have the vacant lot - err, pocket park - that we've always needed there! What a great way to reduce the congestion and density downtown that's been stalling Detroit's development. And just think of all the money streaming into the city's economy from those great civic benefactors at Adamo. Demolition must indeed truly be progress, and Detroit one of the most progressive cities in the world!
    Last edited by EastsideAl; February-24-10 at 11:20 AM.

Gsgeorge, nice shots of the final hours of the Lafayette building. Thanks for sharing. It is sad to see this building fall. Whether the building was in bad enough shape to be torn down may be up for argument, but what is undisputed is that neglect by the city directly resulted in the buildings downfall.

Yes, nice shots Gsgeorge!!

That 2nd one with the sparks landing on the roof of the Lafayette Coney Island was sort of Deja Vu..... sort of reminded me of the Statler Demo and the sparks that may have landed on the roof of the AAA Building.

Did the demo crew put down a fireproof barrier on the adjoining rooftoop?

Had the demo crew caught the Lafayette Coney Island building on fire, there would have been plenty of witnesses who captured it on tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    I used to work in that building....so sad to see it go. Used to look out the 7th floor on the Michigan Ave side...could watch the parades when they went down there. Saw G. Mennen [[Soapy)Williams there a few times...his office was there. Loved the cafeteria on the 1st floor. Great memories from 1974 to 1981. Goodbye, old girl!

My father worked there in the mid-80s when he worked for the Court of Appeals after he graduated from law school. He told me stories about Soapies wife and how she brought her dog into the office.

Here's my raw footage from last night's collapse. It falls at the 1:15 mark. GSGeorge and several other friends were up there shooting video from multiple vantage points, so we're going to do a nice, edited video soon. Figured those who didn't brave the cold might want to see what they missed, though, so here's the uncut version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVvMgsdLF4U

PQZ Guest

So, now that the Lafayette Building is down and folks don't have to spend their time posting about it, photographing it, posting the photos and writing indignant letters....what are they going to do with their time?

Perhaps spend it in renovation activity on a building somewhere? I think Brush Park would be a great place to go look for a project to spend some productive time on.
    Last edited by PQZ; February-25-10 at 09:15 AM.

PQZ: Aren't you overjoyed? Another success for downtown! Hooray! Prosperity is just one more wrecking ball around the corner.

And what will YOU do with your time?

So, how much has the property value of the Book-Cadillac increased in the past 48 hours now that the eyesore of the Lafayette is no longer there?

I presume the remainder of the condos have sold, and the hotel and restaurant are fully booked now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast