Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is anybody going to Autorama this weekend?

If so, make sure you head downstairs to check out all the real, garage built hot rods and customs. I'll be down there with my 1930 Ford Model A roadster. Now, before some musclecar or Corvette guy calls a "rat rod" its actually a period perfect late 40's flathead V8 powered hot rod. Its just a work in progress right now but it will end up being really nice. I've talked to a lot of people who attend the show who didn't even know there was another show downstairs at Cobo so be sure to check it out. I'll be there all weekend, stop by and say hi.

Scott

Dont forget, the Fonz is gonna be there.

Will have to check it out. Looks like a model car I keep building.

I'll be there!....
    So many memories growing up, does anybody remember when kids got in free with an entry in the model car building contest? The only requirement was if the man turned your car upside down & no pieces fell off, you were in!

I can't wait, its going to be a great weekend. I get to show off my new project and drop off my old Triumph motorcycle to my friend Clay who owns Atom Bomb Custom in Salem, VA. He'll be there with several of his one off Brit bikes. The BC was full so we're staying at the Fort Shelby and sending our better halves to the Woodhouse Spa one of the days. Here's a shot from last year of my other Model A. I ended up winning the Detroit Poor Boys club pick for best traditional sedan. However I don't think the new one is complete enough to contend for any trophies. Like I said, stop by if you're there and say hi.

Here's a couple of pics from 2008

Around 2:00 yesterday, beginning to wind down and wrap up at work, young junior - who sits across the way from me - says, "GG, do you know of anything to do around here on the weekend? Something that's winter fun?"

I stopped work and lit a smoke and carefully consider his question, it seemed viable enough. Little junior is just recently married and apparently time has come that he wants to get out of he friggin house and do something. Heh.

"Well", I says, "there's plenty of ice rinks you can go skating."

By the way, he's fresh off the boat from India as well. He scrunched he face and shook he head.

"Ok. Well, there's the toboggan at Hines Park."

"Ehhhhhh, no", he say. "I mean something you can go indoors and just hang out and relax."

I shouldn't have even bothered, but it was too late. Now I'm REALLY thinking.

"Hey! How 'bout Campus Martius. You can go there, it's right downtown."

I thought he wud gonna pass out at the thought. "You mean Detroit?", he asked. Like I was crazy.

Now I'm gettin' pissed. And then it hit me. The perfect solution to he woes:

"HEY! Autorama is this weekend!!!!"

Though I haven't been to one since, ohhhh, 1978 or so, it certainly seemed like a great idear.

Punk looked at me like I was nuts.

"Oh, fuck it. Just go to the movies then."

Packed up my things and went home.

Cool cars. Can't beat 'em.

I'll be there Saturday and Sunday.When I'm not viewing the exhibits I'll be in the model car contest booth.

The Autorama used to be in the State Fair Pavilion years ago. Easy access and lots of parking.

I saw that the robot from Lost in Space is going to be there. Crap, I would love to go but can't make it. Danger! Danger!! Warning! Warning!!

does anybody remember when kids got in free with an entry in the model car building contest?
    I don't remember getting in free, but I remember taking a few down there.

We'll be there with Future Leader Dog Chloe and other Leader Dog puppies, helping at the Pinstripers' Charity Panel Jam hosted by the Motor City Auto Art Mavens. 100% of the auction proceeds are donated to Leader Dogs for the Blind.

http://www.motorcityautoart.com/mission.html

Yes,I remember getting in free with a model car.My buddy and I did that for a few years.We'd enter the contest on Saturday,see half the show,then come back on Sunday and see the rest of the show.

I'll be there pretty much all day Friday, and all morning Saturday. Wouldn't miss it for the world! This year will be different for me compared to the past. You see, for the last 8 years, my ride has been parked. Always wanting to go faster, after I did a total ground up restoration, I tore it back apart to have a cage installed. Plans to go fast came to a slow, and the car remains as it did over 8 years ago, stripped back down to a shell with a 12 point cage in her.

Last Friday, progress picked up speed. I dropped my block off to the race shop I once worked at, complete with parts I've slowly collected these last 8 years. Pistons are ordered, and assembly will happen in the coming months. Then, it's just a matter of putting it all back together. By summer, my 1969 Camaro should be back up and running.

I'll stop by your display, probably on Friday.

I'll be there,also in the basement.We have a small club display[[Roadents) my 72 honda chopper will be there.Stop by and say hey.....Dave

Was gonna go until I saw the $18 price tag.

Nope. Not worth $18. No way.

pre-sell tickets at murrys/o'reily for 15.00

DAMN I didn't know the tickets were that much! I heard it's been hurting for cash. I havn't missed it ever. Dad used to have cars in there up until '85.
    The rat rods in the basement are cool and I do appreciate the fact these are "real" hot rods built at home in your garage. Not like most cars upstairs that just demonstrate how much money you can pay someone to do your car. BUT people are purposely building rat rods now too and they're not ALL works in progress.

Wife and I are planning to go Friday.

I hope to go and take my grandkids on Sunday afternoon. I have a question, though...Do they have any of the "electric Pontiacs" [[amigo electric powered carts for handicappers)? It will sure make it easier for me to get around and see everything.

We will be there all three days with both our future leader dogs Stanley and George we have 2 at one time . There will be a for sale table this year for anybody who doesn't want to wait around for an auction.

Bcscott and I are parked next to each other for your convience[[lol).The show looks good this year,full house upstairs and downstairs.Look forward to seeing some forum members. Dave

Two puppies at once, Popcanman, oh my gosh! We raise only one at a time, and Chloe is our third LD puppy. We'll look for you there.

Is this a car show or a pet shop?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast