14.Rockford, Ill.
    15.Toledo, Ohio
    16.New York City
    17.Sacramento, Calif.
    18.Youngstown, Ohio
    19.Gary, Ind.
    20.Philadelphia

http://www.wisn.com/travelgetaways/22602088/detail.html

I'm not sure I agree with this- would have to examine the methodology-even the best ratings use arbitrary measures. I've visited Buffalo a few times in the last few years. Its real estate market has fared better than many places because it hadn't had the boom to bust. Why is NYC miserable? People keep going there despite outlandish real estate prices- a 7% drop does not make NYC cheap. Miami has been hit hard but there are still many people there tanning today.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean2026 View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with this- would have to examine the methodology-even the best ratings use arbitrary measures. I've visited Buffalo a few times in the last few years. Its real estate market has fared better than many places because it hadn't had the boom to bust. Why is NYC miserable? People keep going there despite outlandish real estate prices- a 7% drop does not make NYC cheap. Miami has been hit hard but there are still many people there tanning today.
    There is a difference between Miami and Miami Beach. They are two different cities. All of the fancy hotels and condos are in Miami Beach. There are parts of Miami that are just as bad as parts of Detroit.

"The rankings also consider weather..."

I'll bet they assume that sunny weather = good, and that overcast skies or precipitation = bad.

I disagree. I find places that are sunny and hot all the time boring, even annoying. The raters are obviously biased against Rust Belt cities, which are some of the most interesting places to live in the U.S. Where are all the crappy places in the West [[outside of the obvious like Modesto, Sacramento, and Stockton)?

I certainly would not rank Cleveland as the most miserable. It has a lot of things going for it and is surprisingly vital in many ways.

For me, No. 1 would be Gary. Akron wouldn't be far behind. Flint would be up there too, as would Saginaw. Buffalo is pretty bad. Where's New Orleans? Rochester, N.Y.? Allentown, Pa.? Personally, I find Vegas quite miserable. What is there to do in Pocatello, Idaho? Elko or Winnemucca, Nev.? Butte, Montana? Phoenix is hot and that's about it. Where are all the lousy Texas cities? Have fun living in Beaumont or Odessa or Amarillo or Lubbock or Waco... Dallas and Houston are no great shakes either.

Yes, I agree the methodology is questionable. Recently, New York City has also made lists for being among the most desired places to live while also being among the least desirable places to live. This kind of list is silly to begin with, however

Didn't Forbes compile this list? It's common knowledge, they aren't very good at rating anything. Ha, looks like they don't like Ohio. Can't say that I blame them there.

YAY! We're number 4, We're number 4, We're number 4.

If you go to the link and read the article, you will find, "Forbes ranks cities by a "Misery Measure" that takes into account unemployment, taxes, commute times, violent crime and performance by professional sports franchises. The rankings also consider weather, Superfund pollution sites and public corruption -- based on convictions of public officials in each area as tracked by the Public Integrity Section of the U.S. Department of Justice."

I agree, it is important to determine and consider the factors making up such studies. Different factors are of more importance to different people For example, I for one don't have one iota of interest in the "performance [[of) professional sports franchises" so I care nothing about that factor. Similarly, welfare bums might not care about "unemployment, taxes [[or) commute times."

Lists..... they're sooooooo meaningless....

Which reminds me.... does Roscommon County's Higgins Lake still have the signs up that it's "the 6th most beautiful Lake in the world"??

Don't know about the 6th most beautiful lake sign, but I bet whoever's the 7th is still mad about that deal!!!!!!1

4.Detroit
    5.Flint, Mich.
    wow, 3 in the top 5!
    Maybe Michiganers might catch on and figure out politicians don't have the people in thier best interest?! Time to bring in some new blood. There's nowhere to go but up.
    Same old same old will only get you more of the same. Besides, #1 #2 and #3 are still there to grab if the politicians can bump off Cleveland, Stockton, or Memphis!

There are also fancy hotels and condos in Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    There is a difference between Miami and Miami Beach. They are two different cities. All of the fancy hotels and condos are in Miami Beach. There are parts of Miami that are just as bad as parts of Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    YAY! We're number 4, We're number 4, We're number 4.
    Way to go Detroit! You are moving down, I mean up!

That is progress

Papasito, do you realize that Flint Michigan is one place? That means there is 2 in the top 5. Can you count?

Have you ever been to Detroit, or Michigan?

It is Forbes...

"The List"
    Episode 1114 [[Original Air Date: Nov 14, 2007)
    The girls in the fourth grade class have made a secret list that rates every boy's looks from cutest to ugliest. When the boys steal the list, they are completely unprepared to deal with the results.

Now that the Strip Club rules are passed Detroit can move to the top of the list!

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    There are also fancy hotels and condos in Miami.
    Miami condos are mostly "see though" buildings now. The Miami condo market is the most distressed housing market in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    "The List"
    Episode 1114 [[Original Air Date: Nov 14, 2007)
    The girls in the fourth grade class have made a secret list that rates every boy's looks from cutest to ugliest. When the boys steal the list, they are completely unprepared to deal with the results.
    Great episode.

Why is Pontiac not included in this list. Downtown there has been a ghost town for a long time. [[or the last time I was there it was anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by exmotowner View Post
    Why is Pontiac not included in this list. Downtown there has been a ghost town for a long time. [[or the last time I was there it was anyway).
    I don't think that Pontiac is a large enough city to be included in the rating pool.

While "weather" as one of the rating factors would tend to favor sunbelt cities, it should be noted than Minneapolis-St Paul did not make the list while several California cities did make the list.