Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default [[Killing) Pair arrested in fatal shooting at ATM...

This was a tragic death, not far from Rosedale Park. The circulation of the video helped to capture the deadly duo. I think I will give up going to ATMs....

Link below showed the video which helped to catch the perp:
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/22597087/detail.html

The pair has been arrested... see link below:
    http://www.freep.com/article/2010022...hooting-at-ATM

By JOE SWICKARD
    FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

A man and woman were arrested this morning for the Feb. 15 fatal shooting of a man at an ATM on Grand River.

The victim, Richard Joiner, 36, was shot about 9 p.m. in a botched robbery at a Chase Bank parking lot on the 18200 block of Grand River.

According to police and security videos, the victim ran to his car after being approached by a woman robber. She followed him and shot and killed him.

Detroit Homicide Lt. Dwayne Blackmon said investigators received numerous tips after a video and still photographs of the crime were broadcast. The calls led to the arrest this morning of a 30-year-old woman and a 50-year-old man. Police did not release their names. No hometowns and no names at this point from cops.

The man and woman are in custody and Warrant requests are being prepared to submit to the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office this weekend.

This crime may cause many to use ATMs less. That is one heartless young woman.

Yeah the video is grim, grit chilling... in the news report you can see the man running to get into his car and she "runs" up right behind him and shots him in the head. I just need to stop using ATMs in the city or suburbs unless it's day time... what I cannot figure out is why did he get out of his car? It was one of those drive up kind of ATMs I think... maybe she ordered him out and he tried to negotiate with her. He may have been taken aback that she was a woman.

This kind of thing speaks to why many law abiding citizens are grim and not friendly when out and about in the city. I understand, I don't talk to anyone outside of a fast hello -- I just want to get my gas, etc. and go on my way. Many are very guarded when going about business. There's alot of eyeballing stares that say "Get away from me!" is the unspoken attitude, born out of mistrust from tragedies like this...

Well, we only have a few stand alone [[not inside of building) banks left in Detroit, and those near freeways like this one tend to close after a couple of hits.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittz View Post
    This crime may cause many to use ATMs less. That is one heartless young woman.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-21-10 at 10:13 AM.

Another poster child for the NRA.

I try to avoid ATMs at night regardless of the location but using one, epsecially in that area, is aking for trouble. Like the ATM at Vernier and 94...I have nightmare stories form that one.

Yep, just as all Christians are judged when a "so called" Christian zealot blows up an abortion clinic or kills an abortion doctor. Yah-da, ya-daH! But the it does not add up in either case [[as the intention or intended outworking of the organization of named faith), unless we are seeking a "strawman" [[ala strawman argument) by which to knock down and dismiss a position or whatever. This nuckle-head woman probably could not even tell you what the acronym NRA stands for... I doubt she was an attendee at their meetings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-21-10 at 10:25 AM.

Yeah, I think I will just give it up all together unless the ATM is in a building during the day time hours.... this was just too much...
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I try to avoid ATMs at night regardless of the location but using one, epsecially in that area, is aking for trouble. Like the ATM at Vernier and 94...I have nightmare stories form that one.

Here's a google terrain map of the Chase bank locale. It is near Ashton and Grandriver - Rosedale Park.... it is one of the few banks left on Grandriver. Most closed a decade ago. There used to be one on many major major street intersections with Grandriver [[GR at Livernois, GR at Greenfield, GR at Wyoming, GR at West Grand Blvd etc).

18200 Grand River

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...02.06,,0,21.83
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-21-10 at 10:51 AM.

Thanks for the report, Zach. I've been busy and have missed this. I think it's sad that we have lost so many banks in the city, when even the horrors of the crack years in the late 80s and early 90s didn't see this many closed... but of course, ATM use wasn't as widespread then.

I used to go to the ATM at night as a young woman in Detroit and in the near suburbs 5-10 years ago. Never was approached or felt unsafe, but the economy was different in the late 90s and early 00s.

One thing that you are taught in self-defense classes is to ALWAYS be aware or your surroundings. Day or night, urban or suburban.

It sounds like he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm not second guessing, but people are creatures of habit. I'm assuming he had used that ATM on other occasions and was "comfortable" at the location. And let his guard down too

A simple tactic would be to go to the ATM in pairs if possible. Very unfortunate that people have to do this, but a hard fact in today's society

[[Added note, I just watched the video and there were witnesses around there per the news report. This did not deter the perpetrators. And a second person with him probably would not have changed the direction this robbery went. Witnesses said that he refused to give up his money.
    I have no problem with giving the money up in a robbery, I have a problem with elimination of witnesses and victims. There we have a definite difference in point of view)
    Last edited by shovelhead; February-21-10 at 12:12 PM.

The mistake he made was getting out of his car. Use only drive up ATM's and those in well lit public areas in view of busy streets etc. If anyone starts to approach on foot, grab your stuff and get out of there quick. Walking to an ATM is making oneself a sitting duck for these types of creeps. With the economy the way it is, be on higher alert for this sort of activity.
    Last edited by Sstashmoo; February-21-10 at 12:21 PM.

I'm trying to think of a way to blame the victim as others on this thread have.

That way I will be reassured that it won't happen to me.

Maybe I could say its his fault for not fixing his window that wouldn't roll down.
    Last edited by East Detroit; February-21-10 at 01:11 PM.

2 ATM horror story's, first my sister was attacked and robbed at robbed while using a ATM in southwest during the late 80s, she fought back while the robber continued to bash in her face, finally the robber looked over and said that he was going to kill her baby if she didnt turn that money over. [[Her newborn son was asleep in the backseat) She complied and the robber made off with a few hundred dollars. Fast forward to the mid 90's, I was using a ATM in east Dearborn near Detroit, to withdraw enough money to purchase flowers for my mother and sister for mothers day, when approached by a young gunman demanding my money, I said sure went to hand him my wallet, dropped it, and unbelievably enough the idiot fell for it, and I knocked the crap out of him when he dropped his guard. I grabbed my wallet and jumped into my car and got out of there. Looking back I should have done more, and perhaps prevent it from happening to someone else, but self preservation took over and I didnt know if he had backup.

Oddly enough the same bank was actually robbed a week later....
    Last edited by Bodybagging; February-21-10 at 03:01 PM. Reason: mispelled word

On a quick note, Sorry for the fellow that was murdered by this person, and way to go on the original description of 18-22 year old woman..... Im Glad they apprehended the killer.

stupid b****. sorry, but that's the first words that came outta my mouth when i saw the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Probably not NRA members in this case.

Quote: "I'm trying to think of a way to blame the victim as others on this thread have."

Well anyone that is going to live in an around a very high crime area like Detroit is going to have to behave accordingly. I see where you're trying to go with this. But, Detroit is what it is. Quite frankly, I wouldn't go to an ATM within two miles of the city limits anywhere in the metro area. If I did and got robbed, I'd blame myself.

I wonder if "The First 48" is in town filming with DPD Homicide. I'd love to see the interview with these two.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Quote: "I'm trying to think of a way to blame the victim as others on this thread have."

Well anyone that is going to live in an around a very high crime area like Detroit is going to have to behave accordingly. I see where you're trying to go with this. But, Detroit is what it is. Quite frankly, I wouldn't go to an ATM within two miles of the city limits anywhere in the metro area. If I did and got robbed, I'd blame myself.
    I wouldn't either, but I was accosted at an ATM in Roseville and I don't consider myself to blame or needful of a lecture. I think people are just blaming to try to convince themselves that it won't happen to them.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Quite frankly, I wouldn't go to an ATM within two miles of the city limits anywhere in the metro area. If I did and got robbed, I'd blame myself.
    How do you do your banking then? Do you fill out a slip and go stand in line at the teller window every time you want to withdraw thirty bucks? Reasonable caution is one thing, but that seems a little paranoid to me.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rideron View Post
    'Reasonable caution' means not going to an ATM in Detroit.
    Do you have a better idea? The withdrawal-slip-and-standing-in-line routine might work fine if you have no plans for the day beyond getting thirty bucks out of the bank, but my life moves a little faster than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    How do you do your banking then? Do you fill out a slip and go stand in line at the teller window every time you want to withdraw thirty bucks? Reasonable caution is one thing, but that seems a little paranoid to me.
    That is exactly what I do. No ATMs and no drive-thrus.

I never have used an ATM. One time a Skank of America guy told me to go outside and use the ATM. I told his sorry ass that the bank could save a lot more money eliminating the jobs of people directing customers to use the ATM.

[quote=Zacha341;122458]This was a tragic death, not far from Rosedale Park. The circulation of the video helped to capture the deadly duo. I think I will give up going to ATMs....

Link below showed the video which helped to catch the perp:
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/22597087/detail.html

The pair has been arrested... see link below:
    http://www.freep.com/article/2010022...hooting-at-ATM

By JOE SWICKARD
    FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

A man and woman were arrested this morning for the Feb. 15 fatal shooting of a man at an ATM on Grand River.

The victim, Richard Joiner, 36, was shot about 9 p.m. in a botched robbery at a Chase Bank parking lot on the 18200 block of Grand River.

According to police and security videos, the victim ran to his car after being approached by a woman robber. She followed him and shot and killed him.

Detroit Homicide Lt. Dwayne Blackmon said investigators received numerous tips after a video and still photographs of the crime were broadcast. The calls led to the arrest this morning of a 30-year-old woman and a 50-year-old man. Police did not release their names. No hometowns and no names at this point from cops.

The man and woman are in custody and Warrant requests are being prepared to submit to the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office this weekend.[/quoteI will be glad when the names of the femaile HOODRAT and the 50yrs old moron are released. Their punishment should be a good flogging at Campus Martius so other femaile Hoodrats and old morons could take heed

It was sad what happened to this man. No one deserves to lose their life at an ATV. I am proud of the citizens who alerted Detroit Police to locate this murderer. It shows that there are good citizens in Detroit who are fed up with these criminals who will rob us without blinking a eye.

http://r8rbob.wordpress.com

Yeah, I am so glad that many came forward to give information and help turn these horrid people in... it serves as a hole in the wall of the the "don't snitch, don't tell" thinking that helps to justify and incubate so much crime.....
    Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I will be glad when the names of the female HOODRAT and the 50yrs old moron are released. Their punishment should be a good flogging at Campus Martius so other female Hoodrats and old morons could take heed
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-21-10 at 10:51 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast