Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

DetroitDad Guest

Default Loud Noise At Grand River and Times Square Area?

Does any know what on Earth is going on down there!?

**UPDATE: At about 1:20-1:25 AM I heard what apparently sounded like a loud pop pop from very near the Grand River/Bagley area. Upon looking out my window towards the intersection I saw several people run/scatter from the alley that runs between Time Square and Bagley, behind the Taste Pizza Bar/Night club. One man in particular ran to the triangle shaped parking lot that is bound by Grand River, Cass, and Bagley, hit the ground between two cars near the Bagley/Grand River intersection, and hit the ground for several moments, then run across the lot, looking behind him, to a silver car that resembled a Passat, near Cass, and pull away. He was backed in the spot. There were some screams that came from the general area around that time.

I was going to call the police when I saw a patrol car pull up to where the group of people where. A decent amount of people were already leaving whatever local clubs/bars are in the area. A second police car pulled up several minutes later, and they apparently talked to some people before pulling away and apparently patrolling the area pretty heavily, paying special attention to Time Square, and making some runs through the transit center bus tents/loading area.

There weren't really any police warning lights turned on, other than to get a car to move out of the way. Spot lights were on every so often though.

Several moments later there were a long succession of pops [[possibly different) a little further away in the distance, and I haven't seen no police cars since. The club is letting out now, and it is a circus down there in the surface lots that surround this area, the only night club I am aware of that is really open is the one near Taste, correct? All the lots on all sides of the Nick's Gaslight Bagley/Cass intersection where full, along with the street parking. Despite all the hollering, laughing and car horns blaring, there are no police around directing traffic like I used to see living further up in Foxtown, when many more clubs where in the Grand Circus Park area.

Did anyone see anything else? I do hope everyone is OK! I am normally a supporter of the entertainment venues in the city, but am beginning to wounder if some of you guys are right about these places. Maybe something does need to be done about them and/or this area!?
    Last edited by DetroitDad; February-20-10 at 02:18 AM.

demolition a few blocks away?

DetroitDad Guest

Maybe the other noises, but this was right outside my window.

You're probablly right.... I'm sure it was nothing.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; February-20-10 at 02:15 AM.

Just another Friday night gunfight making the NRA proud.

I usualy do not write many responses but i felt the remark about the NRA was a little off base. Meddle do you really think that only law abiding citizens are the ones firing the gunshots? I really don't want to start a war of words over gun rights but let's be real. I really do not think registered gun owners run downtown just to fire thier weapons. If you really think a ban on handguns will stop all bad guys from ever having a gun I've got a bridge to sell you.

Some of you actually think this was the Lafayette Building demolition?? First off, they wouldn't be doing any work on the site at 1:25 am. Secondly, I've watched the demolition more then a few times and haven't heard anything that sounds like "pops". No real mystery here probably just a bar fight that resulted in someone pulling out a gun and shooting.

Well stated..... )) [[[[ Hands Clapping )) [[[[

Quote Originally Posted by hhockey View Post
    I usualy do not write many responses but i felt the remark about the NRA was a little off base. Meddle do you really think that only law abiding citizens are the ones firing the gunshots? I really don't want to start a war of words over gun rights but let's be real. I really do not think registered gun owners run downtown just to fire thier weapons. If you really think a ban on handguns will stop all bad guys from ever having a gun I've got a bridge to sell you.

Toolbox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Does any know what on Earth is going on down there!?

Don't worry about the gunplay, it's all just a part of the urban experience you crave so much.

Like Whodini said - The Freaks Come Out t Night!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitZack View Post
    Some of you actually think this was the Lafayette Building demolition?? First off, they wouldn't be doing any work on the site at 1:25 am.
    It is possible, after all they took down a major chunk at 4:30 in the morning a few weeks ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIgWUMdcQxI. According to Buildings of Detroit, some work was done that Friday night. I just don't know that the sounds match up. I agree that it would be odd, but possible.