Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit, I'm coming home!

Since it was announced at yesterday's faculty meeting, the ink is drying on the contract, and news travels fast...

A couple of weeks ago, I accepted a faculty position in the College of Education at Wayne State University. It was the best offer among several, with great colleagues in the department, generous start-up, and lots of opportunities. Although my position is effective starting the 2010-2011 school year, I'll be setting up my office and starting work during the spring/summer semester. I couldn't be more pleased.

I'm really looking forward to getting back into the fray after 5 years in Ann Arbor earning my Ph.D, and mucking about in the Detroit education and youth community organizing scene once again. .

Lots of logistical questions follow:

1) Thanks to one of the awful landlords A2 is famous for, my lease isn't up in Tree Town until December. Should I look into renting/buying something MUCH closer to campus this summer or fall, and moving early? [[But then, I'd have to sublease my place up here, or take a financial hit, paying for a place I no longer live in.) Wait until next summer, and save up a nicer down payment?

2) If I stay, I'll have to commute. Established car and vanpools won't work for the university schedule, where I'd be working 10 to 6, or noon until 9. And I shudder, absolutely shudder thinking about commuting up and down I-94 until next spring.

I'd also love to know how living in Midtown has changed over the last five years. One thing that was true about the 2000-2004 period in WSU/Midtown/North Cass Corridor was that I felt absolutely safe living, working, and going to school there as a single woman in my 20s, and never experienced any personal or property crime there whatsoever. During daylight hours, I felt just fine walking alone as far north as I-94, and as far south as Alexandrine. In the evenings, I hung out with friends [[and some of you) at Cass Cafe, the Majestic, Traffic Jam, Union Street [[best Friday happy hour in Midtown in the early 00s if you ask me), and of course the watering hole next door to my old grad/professional student stomping grounds, Agave. University Foods was just fine for grocery staples, and if I needed more, I usually hopped on a freeway. What's the scene like now?

Excited to share the news with you! Take care...

1) I don't know what you should do. There are very affordable apartments [[250-350 range if you have a roomate). But that usually means the apartments aren't that great [[lagging on repairs and upgrades), but still almost always historic! You can find a good one bedroom for 550. Nicer ones more like 650-700. Nicer two bedrooms run around 800-900. I'm talking about neighborhoods like Woodbridge, Midtown, Eastern Market, Corktown and Downtown. Probably what you are looking for.

2) if you do stay, in October [[fingers crossed) there will be a commuter rail running from Detroit to A2 with a pretty limited schedule but still a big improvement over what we have now. And a great alternative to driving. But the costs will add up either way.

So I guess it is a balancing act, I would personally recommend moving near WSU asap! Midtown would be the best, as to avoid having to bus or drive at all. And walkingability has really improved! Sometime this spring there will be two new grocery stores open. Dozens of new places have opened since you've been gone. You could walk home from work and get groceries at Sunflower Market on Forest or the expanded Goodwell's on Willis or Ye Olde Butchar Shope on Woodward! You can eat lunch at Shangri-La, probably the only place in town to get Dim Sum. You can get a Korean dinner at Wasabi and go to Goodgirls Go to Paris Crepes after. And pretty soon you can walk and pick up some Slow's BBQ, yes that is right, corner of Alexandrine and Cass! You can get a drink at the reopened Alvin's and Third Bar or the new Lefty's or Starter's Bar n Grill. Don't forget about the old school, but recently remodeled Bronx Bar!! Or how Motor City Brewery started serving food a few years back... amazing pizza! You can also shop at some of the new stores like Leopold Books or City Bird. Or see an art-flick at the Burton Theatre, and grab some vintage clothing and collectibles across the street at Mantra or Showcase Collectibles [[in "Chinatown," Cass at Peteroboro).

To say the least, Midtown has changed a bit since you have been gone.

I don't have answers to your questions/concerns, English. I just want to welcome you back home.

Congrats on the new job.

No advice, but welcome home and congradulations!

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Thanks to one of the awful landlords A2 is famous for, my lease isn't up in Tree Town until December. Should I look into renting/buying something MUCH closer to campus this summer or fall, and moving early? [[But then, I'd have to sublease my place up here, or take a financial hit, paying for a place I no longer live in.) Wait until next summer, and save up a nicer down payment?
    Not sure that making you sign a lease constitutes being "an awful landlord".

If you want the advice of an old man, I would commute through the end of September or October. Take your time and look around carefully. Weigh the pros and cons of the various housing opportunities around WSU. When you decide on the best place for you, just eat the last two or three months rent and move then.

Subleasing might sound like a good idea, but you are still on the hook.

WELCOME HOME ENGLISH!!!!

You are one of my favorite posters and you have always been a realistic Detroit booster. I know you will have a positive impact on a city that desperately needs that.

Welcome back English!

[[Okay, I don't know you, but I'm excited for you anyway.)

I think you should definitely look here. We are doing some great renovations as we speak:

http://www.villagegreen.com/detroit/washington-square/

English, congrats on the job, and being able to move back to Detroit! Best of luck.

Thanks everyone!!! Means a lot to me. Great to be heading back, but it's so weird trying to figure out logistics. I appreciate any and all suggestions. Some of the developments I knew about years ago are now empty shells, and in their place, there are new developments and businesses I don't know much about.

I don't necessarily want to live with students. I have paid and overpaid my dues in that regard, having lived in student neighborhoods and housing for the past 15 years. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I'd love to live somewhere where I can have a bit more space. Also not sure that I want to live in another rental. I really want to be a homeowner.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Not sure that making you sign a lease constitutes being "an awful landlord".
    Fair enough, Hermod. I'll give more context. My initial lease was signed in June 2005. My landlord lied about switching all tenants in the development to January-December leases a couple of years ago. I learned this when the development was sold last year. I'd always planned for a June to June lease, since I am in the education/academic world. As my friend said, we really should have threatened them with legal action when we were presented with a second lease, but we had great relationships with management, and wanted to stay on good terms with them.

That landlord was let go at the end of last year. So yes, there was a bit more involved than just being asked to sign a lease.
    Last edited by English; February-18-10 at 11:14 PM.

Belated congrats, English. Exciting for you!

Quote Originally Posted by cmubryan View Post
    I think you should definitely look here. We are doing some great renovations as we speak:

http://www.villagegreen.com/detroit/washington-square/
    After being in Ann Arbor for a while, these prices are unbelievable! I think I'll have a great time looking around this spring and summer.

I failed to mention that I have a roommate... so Hermod's suggestion of eating a couple months' rent in November and December might be worth not commuting. If it's just a month or two, it might not be so bad, and my networks are large enough where finding a sublettor might not be so terrible.

Casscorridor, thanks for the Midtown tips! You guys have been busy while I've been gone, and I haven't caught everything during my frequent trips home! Of course I love Good Girls, and can't wait for a Slow's nearby... has anything gone into the old Agave spot yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Belated congrats, English. Exciting for you!
    Thanks Fury! Glad to see some of the forum oldtimers around here, and some of my fave posters [[Crumbled Pavement, sumas, lots of the rest). I need to figure out when the weekly gatherings are again!

Of course, all my friends up here are joking that I'll never get out of Michigan! Judging from this winter and this economy, there are far worse fates.
    Last edited by English; February-18-10 at 11:15 PM.

Thanks, that was sweet, I've been a bit low lately. All of Michigan is really beautiful. Worse fates than being here in Michigan. Just wish more of us had jobs.

I appreciate you wanting to be a homeowner. Lots of great areas in the city but do be careful, taxes can be insane. My name is on a deed for a home in Islandview Village. City did drop taxes by half but still too high. Lots of good values here given our economic crisis. Just make sure you don't get stuck with silly tax rates or exoribinant [[sp) condo fees.

You most likely will be happiest downtown, midtown or the riverfront. Just really happy to see someone coming home. Detroit needs more people that care about this community.

Just really love to see someone coming back. I love this city and know so many great people here. Good luck and have fun. Sumas

You should check out Royal Oak, Ferndale, Rochester or any of the great suburbs around. Detroit has high taxes, crime and doesn;t compare to many of the suburbs.

I figured I 'd post that since it is pretty much standard for the board.

A much shorter period of time... but I too will be returning to Detroit after 6 months in San Francisco. Definitely happy.

>>You should check out Royal Oak, Ferndale, Rochester or any of the great suburbs around. Detroit has high taxes, crime and doesn;t compare to many of the suburbs.

Yes, you might want to live in Traverse City and commute.

Congrats, but why is your lease running until December? That's almost a year from now, and they don't do two year leases in A2, unless you renewed for another year Dec 09. They do have month to months at some places. When did you defend your dissertation?

Rick, thank you for a really good laugh!

Burbs have their place but many people don't want the commute. Work in the city, live in the city, makes perfect sense to me.

Toolbox Guest

You do know Agave has been closed for many years?

Street crime was up in the corridor around the bars recently.

You can still hang with the urban storytellers while getting your bread at avalon.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
    You do know Agave has been closed for many years?

Street crime was up in the corridor around the bars recently.

You can still hang with the urban storytellers while getting your bread at avalon.
    Crime? Who has time for crime in Shangra-La? Stop with teh negativity. By the way, those "storytellers" are a vital thread in our colorful urban tapestry. I sometimes let them watch my kids when I go in for a baguette or pain perdu.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    >>You should check out Royal Oak, Ferndale, Rochester or any of the great suburbs around. Detroit has high taxes, crime and doesn;t compare to many of the suburbs.

My post was intended to be sarcastic. Pretty much everytime someone posts on here that they are interested in living in Detroit they are quickly told [[by the same select few) about all the great suburbs they shoudl consider.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    Quote of the thread. But there are people who commute crazy distances in this region. One of my good friends up here drives from Saline to Bowling Green SU to work and take classes four days a week. An alumna of my program commuted up from Ohio. Is this more common because we don't have a centralized CBD where the vast majority of the jobs are situated?

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Congrats, but why is your lease running until December? That's almost a year from now, and they don't do two year leases in A2, unless you renewed for another year Dec 09. They do have month to months at some places. When did you defend your dissertation?
    I defend in late March, walk in early May [[with President Obama as our commencement speaker), degree will be officially on the transcript in August, and hooding by Rackham in December. However, one receives the courtesy of using the Ph.D after you pass your defense, and Rackham provides the certification to WSU in late May.

See my post from last month about the landlord who shifted my lease a couple of years ago. I was going to do month to month this year, but my roommate convinced me that we could get a sublettor. The reason I initially agreed was because month to month is extremely expensive in this development. There are other reasons why my initial landlady was insane, and they fired her. The description of "awful" is well deserved.
    Last edited by English; February-19-10 at 10:13 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast