Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Who is BEE Green?

People want to know the identity of BEE Green. Questions have been asked.... Rumors have circulated..... The answer is unveiled in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wen6EVvMIbg

BEE Green.

The Recycling Guy.

Hey Recycling Guy, got a question for ya. My city has a recycling program, but the newsletter tells us to recycle only number 1 and 2 plastic containers. I called the city and the trash hauling company to find out what to do with containers that have higher numbers and no one could give me an answer. I have a lot of containers with the number 5 and I don't want to throw them in the trash.

You can bring them to us.... All recyclable plastic has a number on it.... 1+2 are the most common, and can be recycled together. #'s 3,4,5,6,7 are also recyclable, just not mixed with 1+2.... Visit recyclehere.net for more information.

BEE Green.

TRG

Thanks, but thats too far for the people in my community. We have a curbside recycling program that takes the plastic #1 and 2. If I can get people to bring the higher numbered plastic containers to our cities DPS yard, is there a recycler that would pick them up there?

There is no value to the plastic #4-#7..... I can find a hauler and a processor, but there will be both a transportaqtion cost and a processing cost, and that is probably the reason that your town doesn't recycle this material.

Just curious, we have curbside recyling in EEV. They take paper and plastic but not glass. What might be the reason for that?

I am seriously pleased about the curbside program. Used to be we could go to a center once a month locally but I would always forget.

The Detroit Curbside Pilot [[EEV and Brightmoor/Rosedale Park) do not take glass, because of two main reasons. First, the City of Detroit must pay to process what they call single stream material [[all the material mixed into a single bin). The cost is determined by weight. Glass makes up 60% of the weight in a single stream mix. Thus, eliminating glass reduces the cost of the process by 60%. Secondly, Glass from the single stream systems in this region [[yes, all the suburbs) ends up in the landfill. The glass is mixed in color, making recycling very costly and difficult. The mixed glass is broken up into rounded 'beads' which are then sent to a landfill to create the temporary roads that trucks use to get the waste to areas in the landfill. These roads are then turned over, or mixed in with the waste and then covered.....

Waste and Recycling can be pretty interesting.....

Thank you for your explaination. Sumas

One other question. I live on a smallish city lot. How do I compost without the smell of rotting material? In the summer I put stuff into a blender and pour it into the garden but can't do that in winter.

Pick up an earth machine yard composter.... Recycle Here! sells them, or you can find them online. The 'machine' is basically a dome made out of recycled plastic that traps heat [[and odors)... allowing the material to break down quicker than in an open environment. Visit www.recyclehere.net for more information....

I guess I am missing something, checked the link and didn't see anything about a yard composter. Price???

Kudos to what your organization has made possible.

Sumas

Thank you for the kind words...

Here is a direct link to the earth machine page:

http://www.recyclehere.net/about.html

BEE Green.

TRG

Fouth Saturday Recycling Locations [[2/26):

++++ THE FARWELL REC CENTER AND BOSTON EDISON MOBILE FACILITIES HAVE BEEN CHANGED TO PLASTIC, PAPER, AND METAL ONLY SITES. ALL OTHER MATERIAL SHOULD BE BROUGHT TO HOLDEN. ++++

4th Saturday

HOLDEN:Saturday: 9AM-3PM
    1331 Holden Ave
    Detroit, MI 48202

4th Saturday Mobile Sites:

CLARK PARK
    Fourth Saturday
    8AM-12PM
    Se Habla EspaƱol

BOSTON EDISON ...
    [[PAPER, PLASTIC, METAL ONLY)
    Fourth Saturday