Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Job Corps Center

My mind is blank, I worked at the Job Corps in Detroit for a little over 2 years, and completly forgot what hospital it used to be.

Default Again...

Anyone have a serious answer as to what the hospital was called that now hosts the Detroit Job Corps Center????

Where is it located?

The former Hannah YMCA building on East jefferson across from Waterworks Park housed the Job Corp. Could that be the one you're thinking of? It was not, however, a hospital.

Default Florence Crittenden

I was born there in 1955

Default Florence Crittenton

I had the spelling wrong. As a newborn I should have paid more attention.

Hi Everyone,

I think I can clear up the confusion. The new Center on Woodrow Wilson was the site of the old Metropolitan Hospital. I was the GED instructor/coordinator at the time the new center was purchased by the DOL [[Department of Labor). The previous site was at 10400 E. Jefferson, which was originally the Hannan YMCA building. That site was deemed by the DOL to be the worst Job Corps physical plant in the nation. The poor facility did not keep us from being rated 14th nationally. We were competing students and I would send rather large groups to the DPS testing site to GED test. The name of the school was the Ruthruff Adult Education Center, which is now Malcolm X Academy at W. Chicago and Livernois.

I worked at Job Corps for nearly ten years from Sept of 1988 to January 1997. I decided to take my disability due to the bad facility. I had to walk up a very long flight of stairs everyday to get to my classroom, and the management of the Center at first would not supply me with a key to the elevator, and when I finally got one, some idiot Resident Adviser would lock it off on one of the upper floors. It was a royal pain in the ass to work at Job Corps! I miss the students, but not all of the crap I had to endure while working there.

oops, should read completing students, not competing students...

One more thing, when the first Center opened in Detroit, it was housed at Fort Wayne, down on West Jefferson, after the US Army was finished using Fort Wayne as an induction center. The Center opened in Detroit in 1972, and was operated by Singer Educational Systems, which was renamed Career Systems Development Corporation. The final contractor I worked for was Vinnell Corporation, their main business was as Defense Contractors.