Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Hospital in Highland Park

I haven't lived in the Detroit area for forty years. When I was a teenager, my grandmother took me to visit a friend of hers in a hospital that was in the same bldg as the Six Mile [[Uptown) theatre on Woodward in HP. I distinctly remember going in a door on Woodward on the North end of the bldg, right next to the entrance to the theatre and having to walk up stairs to the second floor where the hospital rooms were.
    Anyone remember anything about this place?

There was a very good Nursing program in Highland park in the fifities...I would think it was attached to Highland Park Hospital...my mom went there ...I wish I could ask her about the location ect...but that is immpossible.

Gibran...I think you may be thinking of the 4-year nursing program at Harper Hospital. They had their own dormitory for the nurses. They even taught the young ladies how to be "proper" young ladies, up to and including serving tea in the afternoon. The dorm was adjacent to Harper Hosp at that time. I attended their Orientation/Open House two years in a row in the early 60's. It was a great program, but in the twists and turns of my life, I decided to study to be a teacher instead of going into nursing.

It's possible Highland Park Hospital had a program as well. I also know that my mother would know, as she grew up in HP, but she passed about 11 years ago.

Highland Park Hospital was at the end of Leslie just over the border from Detroit. It was at the end of the block where my grandparents lived in Detroit. There was a big iron fence and a huge lawn, then the hospital. The building was rehabbed for a Senior residence in the late 80s I believe. Could the one you recall be part of the main hospital?

Highland Park Hospital main entrance was on Glendale at the John Lodge. They had one of the best nursing colleges in the State with dormitory and all. The wing on the west end of the building was the nursing college.

The building just north of the 6 Mile Uptown was a bank and then became insurance offices but I have no idea if it became a hospital after 1963 or so.

Thanks for the history...I did remember [[the training as my mom used to say)..she passed away way to early in life so I lost on the great history of her nurses training..she did work later in Life at Budd Wheel as a nurse and that I remember...

We saw the Highland Park Hospital a few years ago. What is used for at this time? It looked semi-abandoned and semi-apartments at that time.

It is now a senior citizen apartment building, I believe.