Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Friday fish fry Suggestions

With the ashes now just a smudge on the pillow, it's time to look for the best places for fish frys. Not restaurants, but Legion Halls, Parish basements, Elks or Moose Lodges .

So what are your favorite places?

St.Veronicas in Eastpointe. It's fabulous!

Sweetest Heart of Mary

3PM - 8PM every Friday during Lent

Shrimp Dinner $9.00
    Baked Flounder Dinner $8.00
    Beer Battered Cod Dinner $7.50
    Pierogi Dinner $7.00
    Deluxe Salad Bar $6.00
    Fish Dinners come with: French Fries or Macaroni & Cheese, Coleslaw, Bread and Coffee
    Pierogi Dinners come with: Coleslaw, Bread and Coffee

The Gaelic League on Michigan Ave. is the best I have ever had. Only Fridays during lent. Theirs is better than I had in England.

East Detroit is right, Sweetest Heart of Mary does a good fish fry also.

Had a very good experience at St. Francis of Assisi

4500 Wesson at Buchanan

two blocks north of Michigan, two blocks east of Livernois ... west of West Grand Blvd
    http://www.aodonline.org/nr/aod/cust...010DE364035%7D

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&...7.94,,0,-13.81
    Last edited by gnome; February-18-10 at 08:41 AM.

For sure, not dieting food, but point me to where this heaven is... address?
    Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Sweetest Heart of Mary

3PM - 8PM every Friday during Lent

Shrimp Dinner $9.00
    Baked Flounder Dinner $8.00
    Beer Battered Cod Dinner $7.50
    Pierogi Dinner $7.00
    Deluxe Salad Bar $6.00
    Fish Dinners come with: French Fries or Macaroni & Cheese, Coleslaw, Bread and Coffee
    Pierogi Dinners come with: Coleslaw, Bread and Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    For sure, not dieting food, but point me to where this heaven is... address?
    Sweetest Heart of Mary is at 4440 Russell on the corner of Russell & Canfield. The parking lot is behind the church. You enter it from Canfield. Once parked, go to the building that looks like a big house. That's where the dinners are served/sold.

Sweetest Heart of Mary is located at Canfield and Russell. South of Warren, east of I-75. You can see the twin spires from the freeway!!

If you go for the fish fry, be sure to stop in the church and take a look at one of the most beautiful churches in our city. The two trancept windows were winners at the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago.

Photo gallery: http://www.sweetestheartofmary.org/tour.htm
    Restoration info: http://www.sweetestheartofmary.org/resthistory.htm

Weeeee! I am going tomorrow : ) I am not too far from that area.....
    Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Sweetest Heart of Mary is at 4440 Russell on the corner of Russell & Canfield. The parking lot is behind the church. You enter it from Canfield. Once parked, go to the building that looks like a big house. That's where the dinners are served/sold.

Thank you for the info and wonderful photo links. I've been in the sancturary - beautiful. I was there in 2007 for a funeral.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Sweetest Heart of Mary is located at Canfield and Russell. South of Warren, east of I-75. You can see the twin spires from the freeway!!

If you go for the fish fry, be sure to stop in the church and take a look at one of the most beautiful churches in our city. The two trancept windows were winners at the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago.

Photo gallery: http://www.sweetestheartofmary.org/tour.htm
    Restoration info: http://www.sweetestheartofmary.org/resthistory.htm

On the west side, St. Thomas Aquinas at Ford & Evergreen have them on Fridays from 5-7 pm. Fish, shrimp, mac & cheese, salad, dessert, roll, beverage. I think it's $7.00 for adults & $5.00 for kids.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    The Gaelic League on Michigan Ave. is the best I have ever had. Only Fridays during lent.
    Seconded, I try to get there every Friday in Lent. Good prices too.

I second Gnomes St. Francis, awesome. A 100 year old Polish Church. It's open for lunch, I don't know about dinner time dinners.

St. Francis d'Assisi and Sweetest Heart of Mary are both winners...great food.

Chicks! additional words to allow the post!

Is the KofC in Hamtramck doing a fish fry this year? We went last year when they were using the St Lads kitchen, but I can't seem to find any information on 2010.

It was really good food, very nice people.

Every time I see threads like this, I try not to read them but can't resist and end up with a terminal case of the munchies!

Just got back from St. Francis of Assisi's fish fry lunch. $8 for fish, coleslaw, beverage, bread, and dessert. Plenty of ambiance and very good fish.

The Archdiocese of Detroit website usually has a comprehensive listing, but this year's list appear to be rather short.

I also stopped by [[first time) St. Francis last Friday. I was very impressed. The fish was great. Lots of sides. Sweet old people doing all the work. An image of old Detroit, for sure - almost entirely lost, now.

Retroit Guest

I gave up fish for Lent.

This Friday 2/26 @ the Gaelic League fish fry. Anyone going? I plan to be there with some peeps.

God I wish.. By peeps I meant my sh*tty friends.

I've heard that the American Legion in Berkley [[12 mile and Coolidge) really knows how to do it up right.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast