Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default zoning changes in hamtramck

anyone know who handles zoning change requests in hamtramck? I checked their web site and no info on my question. Im just not sure who to call, or even if i should call detroit? Im interested on converting a commercial free standing unit to live/work/gallery space ....thanks in advance for any tips
    Last edited by n7hn; February-17-10 at 04:29 PM.

You could go to the Hamtramck web site

http://www.hamtramck.us/government/d...ages/index.php

and call or email someone there your question.

WOW, your fast, I did email them and will see what happens. In the past Ive called cities about properties and usually gotten the run around as usually the person getting the call isnt sure of who to refer me too.....just thought one of my fellow, intelligent D-yes-ers may already know who to call direct to go easy on my phone bill....... thanks

Can't help you myself, but there is a forum member named DocCherry who is in Hamtown. He seems to have a lot on the ball and has been involved in establishing a low powered radio station in Hamtramck. I'll bet he knows somebody who knows something. Again, I don't know DocCherry, he just seems like a good guy, ... if you do a search on the Contact side you'll find his ph number.

Oh, yeah, your realtor should be able to help. If he doesn't want to help, get a new one.

Community and Economic Development department handles zoning.

well...... as realtors often do, she is very non commital of uses and who to contact. I already did get a reply from the city and it was very enthusiastic, supportive and informational. It addressed my query and went thru their thought process to approve deny, sounds like they are receptive for the proposed use for the address in question. YAY........ thanks for the thoughts and suggestions, Im sure I will use them as well. Im used to cities also being non commital and evasive and often never really answering any questions. This is really promising and speaks well of the ham-town community leaders as well. Im so impressed ....and excited

Can't wait to hear more about this project.

THANKS.....I cant wait to share more as it progresses. I'll post under "hamtramck project" as things get underway, Im leaning towards a art gallery of sorts, but other ideas to. I think I;ll decide once I feel the VIBE of the property, Ive a couple locations on my list and should be there by june. I look forward to being back HOME. tee hee

For zoning changes the city should post a temp sign that looks something like this:
    http://www.fuquay-varina.org/plannin...sign%20002.jpg

There are no secrets about rezoning. It is entirely the public's and esp neighboring property owner's rights to know what is going on, and if you so choose, you have the right to not allow it to happen.

n7hn, do you mean to have us believe that you emailed Hamtramck city hall in the morning and you heard from them before 5 pm that same day?

wow, that is remarkable.

YES..... thats what happened. Im in awe any municipal office moved that fast. It was replied FULLY in 2 hours.

Oh and charlotte. I know there is still a process to go thru but it was presented to me that it really wouldnt even to be rezoned seems the current zoning guidelines allow for my proposed use.
    Last edited by n7hn; February-20-10 at 02:52 PM.

Hey Gnome....... You and i suspected right,,,,its getting alot more complicated, LOL. The initial convo went fast and well, not loads of hangups and 'other party" consultations...... ahhhh,,, nice to know the initial instincts arent too far off base,

Name that dog?

Try Jason Friedmann, Economic Development Director. Karen Majewski, Mayor. Tom Jankowski, Council member and business owner [[Whiskey In The Jar). Darren Groh, Downtown Development Committee Director and business owner [[The Belmont Lounge). They are all interested and committed members of the community.If you'd like their emails, drop me an email at 1KielsonDrive@live.com, and I'll provide them. Also, keep in mind that city hall hours are sporadic due to mandated time off. I think monday is the worst day.

Thanks Keilson..... Im dealing w Jason, very nice person, very helpful and willing to help. Im impressed. just knew it wasnt as easy to rezone as was previously stated by Hamtramck. I appreciate the contact info and help. = )

Quote Originally Posted by n7hn View Post
    Thanks Keilson..... Im dealing w Jason, very nice person, very helpful and willing to help. Im impressed. just knew it wasnt as easy to rezone as was previously stated by Hamtramck. I appreciate the contact info and help. = )
    You are welcome. New businesses and residents coming to Hamtramck are needed and appreciated. You'll find most of city hall easy to work with. There's an occasional grouch, but I've enjoyed my business experience here so far. = www.skippershamtown.com =

I think that Hamtramck, tends to be pretty lenient or flexible in its zoning because pretty much all of Hamtramck is a mix of residential and commercial due to the huge population in the past. In the subdivisions, pretty much every corner has one or more old stores converted to houses. I live in a house converted to a dress shop, and now it's a house again. And I live next door to a funeral home. It confuses the heck out of out of town assessors though.

To clarify.... Id have it alot easier IF i were in town AND the current deed holder. I get the impression they are very flexable and supportive to new business. Of course Id hate to buy, relocate THEN find out there is something in the way of my proposed use,

The city has been great to deal with. There is a Funeral home for sale over there too,,, tee hee. Id love it. Also a once storefront on Evaline... Lots of options .......

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    I think that Hamtramck, tends to be pretty lenient or flexible in its zoning because pretty much all of Hamtramck is a mix of residential and commercial due to the huge population in the past. In the subdivisions, pretty much every corner has one or more old stores converted to houses. I live in a house converted to a dress shop, and now it's a house again. And I live next door to a funeral home. It confuses the heck out of out of town assessors though.
    Beall, there you go again, spreading rumours and inuendo. Ha, ha, kidding. I mistook you for another trouble maker posting here at DY [[hee, hee, hee). I think I know the building you live in. It may have belonged to a long time ago friend. Regardless stop causing trouble. Arrrrrrggghhhh. I listened to your album again saturday while commuting back and forth from Hamtown. Everytime I listen, I find things to ask you about. Unfortunately, I don't remember them for very long. I need to listen and take notes. Not while I'm driving. One thing sticks in my mind - who sings the high voice on the latter tunes? Did you tell me it was your wife? Or is that you in falsetto? Okay, I'm done highjacking this thread.

Hamtramck has the best Zoning Board of Appeals. Of course, the fact that a few of my friends serve or have served on it biases me.