Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Toyota's can of worms..

The longer the lid is left on the worst it's going to be when removed. It's looking like these folks have really been doing a S'load of hiding problems [[and facts) from the consumer..

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...TrT3AD9DSUS200

"WASHINGTON — Complaints of deaths connected to sudden acceleration in Toyota vehicles have surged in recent weeks, with the alleged death toll reaching 34 since 2000, according to new consumer data gathered by the government.
    Complaints to a database maintained by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration about the popular Toyota Prius hybrid grew by nearly 1,000 in just over a week."

This is what is going to be their undoing:

"Testing by Toyota, NHTSA and Exponent, an outside consulting firm hired by Toyota, has found no evidence of problems with Toyota's electronics, said Toyota Vice President Bob Carter at the National Automobile Dealers Association convention in Orlando, Fla.
    "There is no problem with the electronic throttle system in Toyotas," Carter said Monday. "There's not anything that can even remotely lead you in that direction." Carter said Exponent was told to tear the components apart to try to find anything wrong and initial tests could find nothing.
    Carter said Toyota has repaired about 500,000 of the 2.3 million vehicles recalled over a potentially sticky gas pedal."

Let me get this straight, they are not sure what is wrong with them, but they've repaired 500,000 so far? Man what a CF in the making.. Their arrogance and refusal to admit a real problem, is going to take a heavy toll on them going forward.
    Last edited by Sstashmoo; February-15-10 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    "There is no problem with the electronic throttle system in Toyotas," Carter said Monday. "There's not anything that can even remotely lead you in that direction." Carter said Exponent was told to tear the components apart to try to find anything wrong and initial tests could find nothing.
    Stash, I worked in reliability engineering for a few years and have some empathy for them.

If it truly is being caused by a problem in the computer system, it may be very difficult to track down. Since the computer controls a number of different subsystems in the car, the problem may only manifest itself if certain systems are working at the same time. If they could get the problem to manifest itself on demand, they could fix it.

It is something like a sneak circuit where if you have the windshield wipers on, the heater on, and are using the cigarette lighter, if you step on the brakes, the radio turns on.

I hope, for safety's sake they find the underlying problem. Right now they are chasing shadows.

Hermod, I agree with that. What I don't agree with is their sooth-saying about how it is under control. They have an issue that they have not resolved and then claimed to have repaired some units already. How can they repair something if they are not sure of the problem? Their blanket refusal to acknowledge it could possibly be an electronics/RF/EMF issue, just shows how stupid they think the American people are, and how irresponsible they are.

I'm going to take an educated guess and say ferrites attached to the throttle actuator leads or some other part of the circuit will be the ultimate fix. I think it is rare intermittent radio frequency interference [[noise). Has all the characteristics. Same thing that big slug in your VGA and other computer cables do. Blocks high energy field.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    I'm going to take an educated guess and say ferrites attached to the throttle actuator leads or some other part of the circuit will be the ultimate fix. I think it is rare intermittent radio frequency interference [[noise). Has all the characteristics. Same thing that big slug in your VGA and other computer cables do. Blocks high energy field.
    They should just go to the override system others have - hit the brakes and the throttle signal is interrupted.