Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ferndale Pleasant Ridge l960s-70s?

I know this is actually "borderline" Detroit-but my high school was two blocks from Eight Mile Road.
    Anybody care to share memories of Ferndale or Pleasant Ridge in the l960-70s? I-696 sort of tore up the area in the l980s. I lived two blocks from the Woodward bus, so I spent my weekends going to the Detroit Art Institute, Library, Hudson's, etc. Took the bus by myself-age 11. Once walked back alone from Art Institute to Boston Blvd.

The only direct memory I have of either is in the mid-late 1960's being at Federal's with my mother. It was in the building that up until recently was Old Navy at the northwest corner of 9 & Woodward.

I bought a set of custom irons at Falcon Golf back in the late 70s [[or was it the early 80s?). They were located on the west side of Woodward, just south of 10 Mile Rd. I'm still using them!

This is the area I grew up in. Lived in Pleasant Ridge from age 5 to 7 [[1954 to 1956)..Berkley from age 7 to 9 [[1957 to 1959)...Huntington Woods from age 9 to age 16 [[1959 to 1965). Went to Berkley High for 10th grade in '65, but moved out to Washington Township and Romeo High School for '66 and '67.

I loved living in that area in my younger years. I'm sure it had to do with the fact that times were just better then, kids were safer on the streets, there were more things for kids to do that were low or no cost. But I have very fond memories of riding bikes all over these cities. Huntington Woods was great for that...lots of winding streets, gentle hills and lots of shade trees. The Detroit Zoo became a second home.

We used to take the bus to downtown Royal Oak to go shopping or go to a movie...just a few kids together having a good time. HW had a great recreation center, lots of summer activities outside, and winter activities too. We lived there the year they built the swimming pool and the library...and our house was right on the corner of Hart and Scotia...across the street from everything!

I remember how sad I was when my family moved so far away...and out to the "country" of Washington Township. I couldn't wait to get my driver's license to get back "home" to my friends.

It was a great time...and great area...and some great neighbors!

lilpup Guest

Christmas kids' show at the Radio City.

Models Hobby Shop with it's soo recognizable RR X-ing sign.

walking down Bermuda to the library by myself once I was old enough

the candy store a block away from school we still called Larry's even after Larry was long gone

Harry the crossing guard at the traffic light

the birdhouses in my great-aunt's backyard, picking grapes from the vine she and her husband tended on the back of her garage, and watching Reicholds burn from her front porch

getting frozen cherry slushes at Kresge's

buying my first very own LP at the Record Plant - such a huge selection compared to Korvette's!

Falcon Golf used to be a gas station

going to the doctor's office on Woodward with Bennett's pharmacy next door - Bennett's gave ice cream cones to the kids not sick enough to refuse it

getting my tonsils out at Ardmore Hospital

Lincoln Jr. High [[was my dad's high school!)

F&M and Farmer Jack's [[was the Farmer Jack's once a Great Scott or something else??)

Trevarrow's Hardware
    Last edited by lilpup; February-15-10 at 09:57 PM.

Stosh Guest

I would suppose that most have seen this photo set before of old time Ferndale, for those that have not, here's the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kbreenb...7594053119338/

Stosh, thanks for the great link to early Ferndale.

lilpup, I believe A&P preceded Great Scott then Farmer Jack. How about adding:

Basement Barbershop - half of the business was located below ground level.
    Comos Pizza - still there
    Rialto Cafe - south of NIne Mile
    Neisners 5&10 - wooden floors that squeeked
    Sanders - with the water that came in cone-shaped paper cups.
    Cunninghams drug store next to the Detroit Edison office where you got free light bulbs with an exchange.
    Hodges Dodges - home of the Ramchargers red & white drag cars.

lilpup Guest

and Geake's Sporting Goods

What was the name of the front end alignment shop that had the car on the roof with the spinning wobbly wheels??

Wetmores and it's still there.

Quote Originally Posted by pkbroch View Post
    Wasn't the owner busted recently for dealing in stolen car parts?

http://www.freep.com/article/2010012...ire-theft-ring
    Last edited by eno; February-16-10 at 03:39 PM.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    Wasn't the owner busted recently for dealing in stolen car parts?

http://www.freep.com/article/2010012...ire-theft-ring
    I haven't seen anything indicating Wetmore's, certainly nothing in that link you posted.

Peppy's Drive In just east of Pinecrest on 9-mile, across from the Dairy Queen.
    Ferndale Theatre
    Ferndale Lanes, the last bowling alley I can think of with pinboys.
    AD Camera
    Tip-Top Cafe
    J. J. Levys Oak Gas
    Race Motors
    Ferndale High School -63-'64 [[freshman year) AND '65-'66 [[senior) state 4-A bascketball championships.
    Annual football loss to Kimball
    Cunningham Drugs, next to the Detroit Edison office, which was next to the First Federal Savings and Loan branch [[before they built the new one 4 blocks north).

Anyone remember when Models Hobbies was across Woodward before they built the new building?

And lilpup, it WAS Farmer Jacks, before that it was Food Fair. At one time there was an A&P and a Krogers on 9 Mile, too. Anyone know if Ferndale still has their Memorial Day parade? Somewhere around here I have a picture of me in my Boy Scout uniform doing honor guard duty in front of the veterans memorial on Livernois, by the legion hall.....

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    I would suppose that most have seen this photo set before of old time Ferndale, for those that have not, here's the link:

I hadn't. Much appreciated.

Knew a young man who grew up in PR, his dad owned a real Avanti, and only the dad and mom were allowed to ride in it. Really. The kids were not allowed in it, or that was the story. Always wondered whatever happened to him and his family, and of course the car.

Quote Originally Posted by pkbroch View Post
    Thanks. The name Wetmores comes back to me now.

Was Kotcher Oldsmobile out that way?

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Was Kotcher Oldsmobile out that way?
    No, Kotcher Oldsmobile was in Grosse Pointe @ Warren & Chalmers.

Don't know if this has been mentioned here or not - the Grosse Pointe Public Library has been digitizing stuff for their local history archives ~ http://digitize.gp.lib.mi.us/

"Anyone know if Ferndale still has their Memorial Day parade?"

The parade still takes place. It's a pretty damn good one at that.

Thanks, Baselinepunk. I used to march in the parade when I was in band at Roosevelt Elementary and Lincoln Jr. High. I assume it still goes down Maplehurst [[first block), south on Woodward then up 9 Mile to Livernois.

In this day when people seem to move at the drop of a hat, I'm very proud of the fact that my parents moved into Ferndale in 1949 and lived in the same house until about 1983 when Dad retired from Chrysler.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    No, Kotcher Oldsmobile was in Grosse Pointe @ Warren & Chalmers.
    /
    Old man Kotcher was a duck hunting bud of my grandfather. I think his kids let the place run down after he died. They liked to party more than work.

What was the Olds dealer out on Woodward north of 8-mile. Was it Gage-Drummy?

I remember back in 1976 Pleasent Ridge painted all the firePlugs like little men for the Bicentenial celebration.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post

Thanks for posting this. I'd not seen it before. It's pretty cool and covers alot of time.

I believe Gage Olds was the dealer on the Motor Mile, wasn't it? Floyd Foren was the Chevy dealer, and Higgins [[then Belcrasto) Pontiac.

Thanks for your postings to bring me up to date-the A & P was across the street from the Farmer Jack. I don't remember a Kroger's. There was a rock shop [[hobby shop?) on Nine Mile near Livernois. I also remember a Ray Croton's Supper Club, a Neisners, Kresge's, the big Federal's, and a branch of Hagelstein's Bakery .
    The traffic on l0 Mile and Ridge was awful [[before the I-696.)
    Then there was Hedge's Wigwam [[burned down) and Amy Joy donuts and Red Barn.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast