Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default No CBC Olympics for Windsor [ergo Detroit]

How disappointing. I have long taken it for granted that we could expect to enjoy two POV's on the Olympics, not to mention being able to channel surf back and forth during commercials.

Old news now, I have discovered, but CBC was greatly outbid by CTV in 2005. So how are Windsorites watching the games?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    How disappointing. I have long taken it for granted that we could expect to enjoy two POV's on the Olympics, not to mention being able to channel surf back and forth during commercials.

Old news now, I have discovered, but CBC was greatly outbid by CTV in 2005. So how are Windsorites watching the games?
    I noticed that too. That sucks. I suppose the good folks of Windsor are watching WDIV like us.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    I noticed that too. That sucks. I suppose the good folks of Windsor are watching WDIV like us.
    I would guess they are watching CTV via cable or satellite, or over-the-air via CTV's Sarnia station.

Oh we're just fine over here.

We have OTA WDIV and CTV if you have a decent antenna. The CTV coverage alone is pretty much the same as the CBC coverage we're use to. Almost 24 hours a day of Olympics with breaks for news.

And if you have cable there's wall to wall Olympic coverage also on:

TSN
    Rogers Sportsnet
    OLN
    OMNI
    Aboriginal People's TV Network
    CPAC

In addition to all that, ctvolympics.ca has free streaming for Canadians of CTV, TSN, and Rogers Sportsnet

As well, there's additional web feeds that are just raw video and audio of the events without commentary.

The streaming video is very good quality and I've been taxing my bandwidth nicely with it. Hah
    Last edited by yupislyr; February-15-10 at 12:16 AM.

On The National last night, Peter Mansbridge had a segment about not covering the Olympics for the first time in a long time. It was pretty funny.

How is it that we recieve CBC, but not CTV? Doesn't CTV have a Windsor affiliate?

detroitjim Guest

If you have an antenna you maybe able to tune in UHF channel 42 ,CTV out of Kitchner ONT.

Has anyone had success with this? I'm hoping to get CTV from Ferndale/Royal Oak area, and not sure what I'd need to make it happen. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I'm glad that I'll be in Toronto from Thursday to Sunday to see some curling on CTV.

Yeah, if you have a good antenna on your roof you may be able to pick up the CTV transmitter near Oil Springs. We haven't converted to digital yet over here so there's that though. I don't currently have a proper OTA setup yet but I have been able to pick it up in Windsor in the past with just a set top antenna, although very fuzzily.

If you're serious, you'll want to try plugging in your exact location to this website: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29 and it will give you an idea of whether to even bother trying. But either way, you'll probably need a big antenna and possibly mount it way up high on a mast to get it's signal.
    Last edited by yupislyr; February-15-10 at 01:26 PM.

This sucks. I have watched the last 6 olympics mostly on CBC because I can't stand NBC's coverage.

CTV's signal is purposely kept weak in this region, and aimed away from the Detroit area. As a commercial network, if they were viewable here the many American shows they carry would violate the exclusive rights of Detroit's network affiliates and cost CTV an enormous amount in rights' fees. .