Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default NEW Google Street View Images

There was no thread, so I decided to make one. Apparently Google has revisited Detroit and took images of streets they never went down before:

Renissance Center:

Heidelberg Street's famous "Polka Dot House:"

It appears not only the city is in high resolution. Up to past M-59 in Oakland County as well as a few other nearby suburbs [[including my hometown of Dearborn, they even got my house in high resolution! ) and even Windsor and the rest of Essex County in Canada.

Talk about the new high resolution Street View images and where excactly in and around Detroit where you can see them in hi-res. [[Don't ask me the city itself!)

no kidding, looks like they did a good job of it.

Going through the old neighborhoods and comparing with old photos. Here's my grandparents and aunt in 1934 in front of the Oakman School on Sorrento and Wadsworth.
    Last edited by Ray1936; August-01-10 at 08:25 PM.

judging from the Michigan Central Station views [[Vernor Hwy, 15th street, etc) they took these in June.

Matty's fake Homeland Security signs are still out in high-res.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&...12.86,,0,13.01

yes they visited my neighborhood [[central/mcgraw) as well sometime around june 2009. I could tell by how big the flowers in my front yard were.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    There was no thread, so I decided to make one.
    Well, actually, there was by about 16 minutes.

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=4603

mtburb | Yesterday, 08:17 PM |

Ray1936 | Yesterday, 08:01 PM |

Loos like while in my area they still missed entire neighborhoods in Dearborn, Melvindale, Wyandotte, River Rouge, Grosse Ile, Southgate, Trenton, Romulus, Westland, Gibraltar, Rockwod, Woodhaven and Flat Rock.

They also retook John Dingell Drive in Metro Airport and retook Pennsylvania in that same area but not in hi-res though... They may have took them in June 2009 as well because in the new Pennsylvania images you can see signs to the Pinnacle Race Course. So indeed it might be June 2009.

Can you see if the views in the suburbs are in hi-res as well? If so, which suburbs?
    Last edited by mtburb; February-15-10 at 05:28 PM.

Here is another fun way to find out... I am surprised no one has used the most obvious indicator to find out when the images were taken: Tiger Stadium.

The Corner has been redone in hi-res, and the view is of the last months of the stadium's slow demise, its exposed elevator tower hanging northward towards its fate:
    Google Street View: Michigan and Trumbull

You can get an even closer look at Michigan and Tenth:
    Google Street View - Michigan and Tenth

One can compare aerial photos [[taken by our own FlybyDon) to find nearly the exact date of the photograph.

Indeed, as many other forumers have indicated, the Google Street View images [[or at least this one) appear to be taken just days before July 4, 2009, and definitely taken between June 22 and July 4.

Google Street View:
    Attachment 5223

July 4, 2009 - Image by FlybyDon
    Last edited by Gsgeorge; February-16-10 at 04:20 AM.