Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Detroit Music

Default Detroit Music

I need to update my itunes playlists.

What local musicians does DetroitYes recommend?

Links to samplings and purchase options appreciated.

Default Rare Earth

How about some Rare Earth. A Detroit original. There still playing.

Detroit Cobras, Dirtbombs, Muggs, The Decks, Bulldog, The Readies, Magic Shop.....

Stromberg2

Detroit has the best undergroud hip-hop on the planet. Proof [[RIP) from D12 had his own record label before he was killed. It was called Iron Fist Records and all his boys are doing big things in the Detroit scene right now. Detroit rap is where it is all at, but then again I am a Hip Hop Head! Check out skrillagorillas.com detroitrap.com dirtymitten.com just to name a few. I can give you more if interested

I finally got to see Rattlesnake Shake at the Magic Bag Friday night. They are a Peter Green-Fleetwood Mac [['67-'69) era tribute band. It's basically the Muggs with guitarist-extraordinaire Brett Lucas added. I happened to see that edition of the Fleetwood Mac at the Grande in early '69 and it was one of the best shows I experienced. We're fortunate that we have these talented musicians who have a passion for the same music we loved. I'm grateful for their work in keeping it alive.

Chuck_MI Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob66 View Post
    Detroit has the best undergroud hip-hop on the planet. Proof [[RIP) from D12 had his own record label before he was killed. It was called Iron Fist Records and all his boys are doing big things in the Detroit scene right now. Detroit rap is where it is all at, but then again I am a Hip Hop Head! Check out skrillagorillas.com detroitrap.com dirtymitten.com just to name a few. I can give you more if interested
    I recently bought HUSH's latest album, The Open Book. Listening to it I find myself wondering how the hell his poetic and powerful music gets overlooked.

Here is a doc vid i found on him with some history on the Detroit hip-hop scene: http://vimeo.com/8712349

Arizing was a great band.

I'm not sure if you can get his CD's, but I've always really liked Blair and his Urban Folk projects, when he was doing that.

bartock Guest

It may be cliche, but anything by the White Stripes.

Check out The Go as well.

I always thought Wax Ecstatic by Sponge was way way underrated.

Thunderbirds Are Now! is high energy.

Or, ask Jim Diamond - http://www.ghettorecorders.com/

Thornetta Davis...

was [[not was)

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    I recently bought HUSH's latest album, The Open Book. Listening to it I find myself wondering how the hell his poetic and powerful music gets overlooked.

Here is a doc vid i found on him with some history on the Detroit hip-hop scene: http://vimeo.com/8712349

NICE! Yeah, Hush really does have talent and I have his first two CDs. The first was Roses and Razorblades and the second was Bulletproof. Bulletproof was a sweet album featuring Eminem and other D12 artists. "Hush Is Coming" was the best song so youtube that one! Hush uses a rock and rap combo. Ahead of his time for sure.

Stooges, Immigrant Suns, Gories, Mog Stunt Team, John Lee Hooker, Yusef Lateef [[not born in but did a whole album dedicated to Detroit), Griot Galaxy, anything with Roy Brooks, Ron Carter, Elvin Jones, Motown [[of course), Elvis Hitler, Goober & the Peas, the Hentchmen, the Witches, Roosevelt's Inaugural Parade, Destroy All Monsters, the first three albums by the Alice Cooper Band, Fez, Only a Mother, Scavenger Quartet, Paik, Goudron, Funkadelic, Aces High [[the all Ace Frehley band), and Almight Lumberjacks of Death [[if you can get into that).

Oh, this thread is half a decade old? Pretty much can find all this on other threads?
    Well, to quote Ringo Starr on the Simpsons "Pardon the lateness of my reply".