Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hamtramck Paczki Celebrations

We start celebrating Paczki a few days early in Hamtramck, so I drove down Joseph Campau and visited the Packzi tent today [[Saturday). [[I was out getting a hair cut anyway.) Free Paczki and coffee. The words "free" and "Paczki" in the same sentence equates to "danger" in Hamtramck.

I was blasted with a bunch of Polka-ized music and nearly run over by a frisky senior racing to the dance floor. I saw a 5 foot dancing Paczki, saw Mayor Majewski dressed in full folkdancing attire, dancing like she was on a hill in Poland. Gotta be that jelly center. It's like a drug.

Doing my DetroitYes duty, I dug up a little more info for you.

On Paczki day in Hamtramck, Tuesday, a bunch of bars will be open including Skippers [[starting at 10 am).

There are special events.

http://www.hamtramck.us/events/pages/index.php

Hamtramck --building your waistline one inch at a time!

[[How's that for a new city motto?)

YAY PACZKI DAY! I'm going to be at Polish owned Bakery in Hamtramck. I'm NEVER go to any place else.

All my life, I've been smitten by the beauty of Polish girls. Never learned to polka, though. I think I blew any chance I had........

I'm serious. They're dolls.

Small's [[corner of Conant and Caniff) will be open from 11 a.m. till 2 a.m. We'll have free paczki, and $3 paczki bombs [[they are mini paczki filled with booze - delicious!) while they last. We've ordered 300, so they should last a while.

Polka Floyd will play polka-style Pink Floyd songs from 7-9 p.m. I'll be bartending starting at 8 p.m. No cover, all ages welcome.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?ei...4877876&ref=ts

Paczki bombs! That's a new one! All my favorite vices in one tidy package!

The Paczki, Hamtramck and the Polish Muslims! Can't have one without the other and still call it a Paczki Day celebration in my book. http://www.thepolishmuslims.com/events.html

Where's the best bakery to pick up a couple dozen paczki tomorrow? I don't know Hamtramck all that well but I'll be in the area so I figured you all had some good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by jtw View Post
    Where's the best bakery to pick up a couple dozen paczki tomorrow? I don't know Hamtramck all that well but I'll be in the area so I figured you all had some good advice.
    Also in town will be Toledo's Polka Floyd, doing polka renditions of Pink Floyd classics.

Quote Originally Posted by jtw View Post

If you're West Side you can go to Chene Modern on Warren near Southfield. Hamtramck? Drive down JC and look for the lines.

If you haven't pre-ordered your pączki, better bring some hot coffee and be prepared to stand in line wherever you go. In Hamtramck, you can choose between [[on Jos. Campau): New Palace, New Martha Washington, Srodek's, Polish Market, and Stan's; [[on Conant): New Deluxe, Srodek's, and Family Donut. Hope I didn't miss anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by karenka View Post
    If you haven't pre-ordered your pączki, better bring some hot coffee and be prepared to stand in line wherever you go. In Hamtramck, you can choose between [[on Jos. Campau): New Palace, New Martha Washington, Srodek's, Polish Market, and Stan's; [[on Conant): New Deluxe, Srodek's, and Family Donut. Hope I didn't miss anybody.
    Thanks for the list - I guess picking one is arbitrary. Will there still be lines come noon or so?

Skipper's Hamtown will be open at 10AM. We'll be decidedly low key. It's our first and we're feeling our way through it. We plan to have Punchkis, munchies, coffee, drinks and Polish Muslims as well as other Polka music playing. Hopefully, we'll have a few new faces peeking in and checking out the premises for later visits. I'll be making the rounds scoping out what exactly it is that makes Punchki Day, considering that the few times I've participated, I was in no condition to assess anything other than how to keep my feet on the ground. Stop by and visit while making your rounds. Skipper's may become THE PLACE to hang at future Punchki Days.

Lines will be long well past noon at most places - they were in recent years. Try Family Donut for less traffic, and try some of their cheese burek - it's seriously the best treat ever. They are at Conant and Caniff [[right by Small's ). Cash only, I think.

Hey, quick question. A friend invited me to go tonight [[monday night, not fat tuesday) to Hamtramck and I was wondering if there is anything going on the night before?

The last 2 years there were still lines at the bakeries on Campau well after dark. To avoid a crowd, take Melody's advice and try Family Donut. Although it doesn't have the panache of some of the Campau bakeries, I have it on good authority that it makes some of the best pączki in town. And pick up some burek, too. Then, of course, head across the street to Small's.

Oops, I missed New Polka Bakery on Conant. They were a surprise winner in an informal "best Pączek" poll this year.

Have to give my vote for Sunnyside Bakery on Six Mile a.k.a. McNichols

Quote Originally Posted by karenka View Post
    The last 2 years there were still lines at the bakeries on Campau well after dark. To avoid a crowd, take Melody's advice and try Family Donut. Although it doesn't have the panache of some of the Campau bakeries, I have it on good authority that it makes some of the best pączki in town. And pick up some burek, too. Then, of course, head across the street to Small's.
    So does that occur Monday night as well?

No, nothing till tomorrow morning. Some bars are closed tonight. Sorry 'bout that.

25 grams of fat, 800 to 1200 calories... each

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    25 grams of fat, 800 to 1200 calories... each
    Hey all that fasting we have do during Lent will even it out by the time Good Friday is over.

My wife says Family Donut is her favorite, so its a good choice!

I picked up some New Martha Washington tonight. I thought they were pretty good!

New Martha Washington is open all night...

Stopped at Family Donut on Conant/Caniff this morning. Was there about 6am with my paper. Sat at the counter. One of my favorite places for paczki. Cup of coffee, paczki [[or 2). No lines, good coffee. Like others have said, not crowded, off the beaten path. Still absolutely delicious and well worth going to. I kept a spare for my lunch today, and got some for the wife and the kids [[they even have plain ones; my kids are small, so they'll like that).

I'd take a cruller from Dutch Girl over pączki any day. I do want to try the burek at Family Donut, though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast