Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Better Made Rainbow Chips

I was surprised to find the Better Made Rainbow Chips at Westborn Market in Dearborn. I thought you could only get them at the factory. They sure go good with Motor City Brewing Works Ghetto Blaster beer.

I hate to reveal one location of my secret stash but Ernie's Market, home of the love sandwich, in Oak Park has them. Plus those killer sandwiches.

Quote Originally Posted by Enduro View Post
    I hate to reveal one location of my secret stash but Ernie's Market, home of the love sandwich, in Oak Park has them. Plus those killer sandwiches.
    Seriously- does Ernie's have the BEST array of Better Made chips in the world or what? AND to top all that off, it's all on the way up to meet the man himself, Ernie. Best chips+best sandwich made by the best guy in the world at Ernie's... what could be better, baby?

[[And don't say longer hours and open on Sundays either. Give the poor guy a break every now and then!)

Where exactly is Ernie's? I've never been and would like to

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Where exactly is Ernie's? I've never been and would like to
    Ernie's is located at:

8500 Capital St
    Oak Park, MI 48237

Be forewarned though. Occasionally the line can be out the door during the lunch rush, but once you have a sandwich there, you'll understand the rationale for it. There are two Facebook pages dedicated to the wholesome goodness of this place even!

But if you want a better feel as to what to expect:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvoECeFtYYQ

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ernies-market-oak-park

Again, scope out the Better Made section to the right just before you get up to the counter.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I was surprised to find the Better Made Rainbow Chips at Westborn Market in Dearborn. I thought you could only get them at the factory. They sure go good with Motor City Brewing Works Ghetto Blaster beer.
    Hmm, what are Rainbow chips? This is new to me especially since I have eaten BM for 30+ years.

http://r8rbob.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Hmm, what are Rainbow chips? This is new to me especially since I have eaten BM for 30+ years.
    They're pretty much the burnt Better Made chips all packaged together. Odd concept but it works!

And I don't know if it's the oddest marketing gimmick in the world but they're packaged in a very non-descript white bag with a very small label on it. It looks completely different from the more colorful regular Better made packages too. It just stands out like a sore thumb in its starkness.

Initially you'd swear it was from some offbeat homemade potato chip manufacturer until you scan the label and it says it's Better Made.

Ernies and Better Made...I don't know of a better combination.

Quote Originally Posted by 65memories View Post
    Ernies and Better Made...I don't know of a better combination.
    Toss in the Town Club pop [[also available at Ernie's) and it's heaven!

http://bmchips.com/better-made-rainb...ato-chips.aspx

When potatoes are stored they build up a higher content of sugar. When these potatoes are sliced and fried into chips they tend to turn dark. They are not burnt. They also have a sweeter taste.

Retroit Guest

What a genius idea: save all your product defects and sell them as a novelty to the gullible public at a premium.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    What a genius idea: save all your product defects and sell them as a novelty to the gullible public at a premium.
    No, they're not defects. They're an amazingly tasty chip.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    They're pretty much the burnt Better Made chips all packaged together. Odd concept but it works!

And I don't know if it's the oddest marketing gimmick in the world but they're packaged in a very non-descript white bag with a very small label on it. It looks completely different from the more colorful regular Better made packages too. It just stands out like a sore thumb in its starkness.

Initially you'd swear it was from some offbeat homemade potato chip manufacturer until you scan the label and it says it's Better Made.
    Thanks a lot. I wasn't hip to the chips. I give Better Made props for keeping it a novelty product.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    No, they're not defects. They're an amazingly tasty chip.
    I agree. I wouldn't exactly call them "defects" either. And maybe I simplified things too much by calling them "burnt" [[obviously Better Made seems to take some umbrage to that term on that website). By comparison to the regular potato chips, they do seem overly done and can be found in practically any regular bag of chips, Better Made or otherwise.

To me, it's just another flavor that Better Made has come up with- whether it's by circumstance, planned or otherwise, it's darn good stuff.

The Better Made Rainbow Chips are my favorite chip, right up there with Maui Potato Chips.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CCgQ9QEwCw

No doubt, smogboy! One of the only perks to working occasional weekends and getting mundane weekdays off is that I get to leisurely go to Ernie's and chat a little. Nice little reward for running those pesky errands.

That said, Rainbow Chips are a true throwback to the origin of potato chips. It's my understanding that some customers at a restaurant kept asking for thinner, crispier chips and the frustrated chef finally produced the chip, thinking they would hate it and finally shut up. He was wrong but had a hit on his hand.

LodgeDodger Guest

Picked up some Better Made "Salvatore's Garlic and Parmesan" chips for last week's Super Bowl. betterhalf loved 'em so much, he was ready to make him a part of our family. They were very, very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Enduro View Post
    No doubt, smogboy! One of the only perks to working occasional weekends and getting mundane weekdays off is that I get to leisurely go to Ernie's and chat a little. Nice little reward for running those pesky errands.

That said, Rainbow Chips are a true throwback to the origin of potato chips. It's my understanding that some customers at a restaurant kept asking for thinner, crispier chips and the frustrated chef finally produced the chip, thinking they would hate it and finally shut up. He was wrong but had a hit on his hand.
    Happened in Saratoga, NY.

Darn, now I gotta make a special trip to Ernie's! That place sounds awesome! I'm planning a "road" trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    Darn, now I gotta make a special trip to Ernie's! That place sounds awesome! I'm planning a "road" trip!
    "awesome"? You've just begun to scratch the surface of what that place is about.

Beyond the accolades piled onto him by winning the Best Sandwich Shop in a WDIV poll for the last two years, regulars like Ron Savage of Fox2 swing by there all the time. Just be forewarned that if Ernie gets any more additional publicity such as winning another award, gets mentioned on the various radio & TV shows or gets a healthy write up in one of the local papers- the day after is usually packed with the curious and the lines can become additionally long.

The five dollar sandwich you'll get there will make you a convert. Seriously I can't look at a Subway, Quizno's, Tubby's or Jimmy John's the same again after having one of his sandwiches. Just let the man do his thing when it comes to making you a sandwich; just alert him of any allergies and let him craft you a masterpiece. The energy in that place is magical.

And again, make sure you scope out the Better Made section in there. The place is also cash only so if you have plans on doing debit, Visa, MC or AmEx- it ain't gonna happen. Enjoy the "road trip"!

Rainbow Chips can be found at the Wonder Bread retail outlet on Tireman, west of Schafer.

Quite surprised, but saw white plain bags of Better Maid Rainbow chips on the rack at 7-11, Masonic and Harper...

Does anyone know why Better Made has decided to keep these chips in a packaging akin to making it look like a generic food brand? Don't get me wrong- this technique caught my eye in its starkness and I bought it just out of curiosity. Its plain jane packaging looks absolutely nothing like the rest of the Better Made brand and I was wondering why.

Some may call it cheating, but rather than hunt around town, I ordered two boxes [[four bags to a box) directly from their website to give away as Christmas gifts. [[There are some in my family who go nuts for these chips. )

Quote Originally Posted by mkhopper View Post
    Some may call it cheating, but rather than hunt around town, I ordered two boxes [[four bags to a box) directly from their website to give away as Christmas gifts. [[There are some in my family who go nuts for these chips. )
    How's it cheating? It might even serve Better Made better because you ordered it directly from them without any of the profits having to be shared by the party store or market. I sure hope for your relatives sake that a bag of chips [[no matter how delicious) wasn't their only Christmas present from you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast