Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 1940s MIDWEST KODOCHROME PHOTOS

I was surfing and came across these. Some nice old Detroit area photos.

One photo on first page look like the rotunda.

Thank you for sharing. I was able to recognize some being on Belle Isle and Royal Oak Shrine and a few others. But the rest I could not recall. I can appreciate the photos though.

Some interesting snap shots. I'm not, and don't want to sign up for yet another web-site, so if someone is a member, tell the poster the 3rd picture on the 1st page is the train station in Cinci. The 5th picture has been mis-identified as the MSU Beaumont Tower. I believe it is the Peace Carrillon on Belle Isle and the airport looks to me like Detroit City Airport.

I say the person who took pictures of waterways, train stations, airports and large manufacturing facilities is pretty lucky the Department of Homieland Security didn't exist in the 1940's.

Awesome pics of Shrine, my home parish.

dtown...did you go to school at Shrine High? If so, when?

I graduated in '07, but my sisters graduated in '00, '01, and '03. My brother graduates in May! <the last of my family. My father graduated in '77, aunt in '75, another aunt in '67, and two other uncles, I wanna say '64 and '72. Yes, my family is known there.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Some interesting snap shots. I'm not, and don't want to sign up for yet another web-site, so if someone is a member, tell the poster the 3rd picture on the 1st page is the train station in Cinci. The 5th picture has been mis-identified as the MSU Beaumont Tower. I believe it is the Peace Carrillon on Belle Isle and the airport looks to me like Detroit City Airport.

I say the person who took pictures of waterways, train stations, airports and large manufacturing facilities is pretty lucky the Department of Homieland Security didn't exist in the 1940's.
    Done. The airport is definitely City. Same building that's there today. There was also a shot of the original span of the Blue Water Bridge that I ID'd and 2 shots of the Conservatory on Belle Isle, one of which had been misidentified as being at the Zoo.

Photo #27 shows a 1941 Michigan license plate on the maroon Oldsmobile. Sure pins THAT year down.

Your eyes are sharper than mine, Ray.

... The Soybean factory was down in River Rouge.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=9H3...um=1#PPA310,M1

All a part of Henry's desire to build and power a car almost entirely out of soybeans. Man, those crazy vegitarians.

Default Ford Rotundra

I was under the assumption that the Ford Rotundra was built in the "50's. This is just a guess on my part. Any further info would be appreciated. Thanks

I believe the Rotunda was built for the 1933 Worlds Fair in Chicago, then moved to Dearborn.

Did a quick search on flickr to see if there were any snap shots of the interior, and found this link:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kbreenb...7594315547419/
    This lady's collection of Ford publicity shots is interesting. Interior of Rotunda, exterior, aerials, ... plus other pics. It would be a massive threadjack to list them, but kind of interesting stuff.
    Last edited by gnome; April-18-09 at 06:33 AM.

The photo of the circular colonnade is Warren Harding's tomb in Marion, Ohio, as is the photo looking out through the columns.

Still trying to find my way around that site. Think I saw a color picture of the old Wayne County Airport.