Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Normandie

Default Normandie

but I have never found a burger to equal the Normandie Bar...Thick, crusty char on the outside, cooked to order by Ronnie on the night shift [[who one year slowly morphed into Renee!) served by old school waitresses with nicknames, like Tinsel, and BTMary behing the bar...great memories. Seeing "stars" from the Fisher Theatre wander in and the madcap guys from Campbell Ewald and GM exec's letting their hair and other things down after work. Best Bleu cheese dressing...only Sinbad's dressing comes close.
    Detroit Bob,
    your comment got me thinking about the good old days, when Lefty and Henry ran the Normandie.
    Cannot watch the super bowl without thinking about the parties held at the Normandie.
    Only waitress I can remember is Leslie, knew most of them back in the 70-80 time frame.
    After they built the small park to the North of the bar, the summertime concerts etc. Used to get my hair cut at "Shear Perfection" next door.
    Even had a few beers at What on Second? two doors down from the Normandie.

Any other memories.

Don't forget 'Albert', the waiter, cum actor.

J. P. McCarthy loved the place and used to have an occasional broadcast of his radio show on WJR from there.

Never heard of it.

My husband and I went on our first date at the Normandie--followed by a Cleo Laine/John Dankworth concert at the Music Hall. November, 1974. We both had hamburgers, and they were delicious.