Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dick Purtan retiring

Never a huge fan, but he is a local icon.
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/22530950/detail.html

don't listen to him much now but when i worked downtown in the 80's, i used to listen to him phone scam people....funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    when i worked downtown in the 80's, i used to listen to him phone scam people....funny.
    Coincidentally, that's the last time he was funny.

I was never a huge fan but I do understand his importance to Detroit radio. He's ONLY raised $22 million for Salvation Army over his career with his radiothons and he truly has been a fixture here in town. His style always has been a pretty easy going one- never too controversial, never a shock jock, and was always pretty easy going. It's just amazing that he's lasted 45 years in the business and was given the opportunity to retire- unlike so many of his other radio colleagues that have been given the unceremonious boot.

Bravo to Dick Purtan and all the good that he's done for the community and for keeping folks smiling on their morning commutes all of these years.

He's still alive?

My folks have a hilarious Best of Dick Purtan casette from the 80s where someone had Coleman Young call the show and get into it with the Coleman Young impersonator on the crew. I can't recall if the impersonator was Purtan or not.

Thank goodness he's leaving radio. I used to enjoy his morning chuckles back in the 1980s, but in the last 10 years he's swerved so far right I don't even care to listen to him anymore. That Detroit radio will be free of his rabidly anti-union diatribes is a relief.

Here's a pic o' Dick pre-stache'

Wow zitro, I thought I was the only person who still had that antique!

For those who don't know, the Detroit News published a series of full page Tigers player posters to celebrate the 1968 championship season. Then for some reason Purtan was included as a 'Super Booster'. I'm still not sure why. Did the paper own WXYZ at the time?

Sorry to say he finally realized he's been a has been for some time. His charity work is to be lauded though.
    Him and J. P. McCarthy went out of style long before they retired. Hopely, Dick's health holds up.

[quote=waz;119306]Wow zitro, I thought I was the only person who still had that antique!

For those who don't know, the Detroit News published a series of full page Tigers player posters to celebrate the 1968 championship season. Then for some reason Purtan was included as a 'Super Booster'. I'm still not sure why. Did the paper own WXYZ at the time?[/quote]

Don't know, because I know for sure that WJR was broadcasting the games. I have the entire collection of posters from that run.

Now, if we can only get that Paul Smith character from the former 'Golden Tower of the Fisher Building' radio station to retire and join Purtan.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Now, if we can only get that Paul Smith character from the former 'Golden Tower of the Fisher Building' radio station to retire and join Purtan.
    What's wrong with Paul W. Smith? His program is very intelligent and informative. I listen to it most mornings on the way to work.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Sorry to say he finally realized he's been a has been for some time. His charity work is to be lauded though.
    Him and J. P. McCarthy went out of style long before they retired. Hopely, Dick's health holds up.
    I don't agree that J.P went out of style before he died. Paul W. Smith seems very much like J.P. McCarthy - but not as interesting [[ to me anyway )

detroitchef Guest

Is Monica Conyers getting his timeslot? That would rule...

Unfortunately, radio dj's who can be funny without snidely putting others down are a dying breed. These days everyone tries to be oh-so-snarky. And I hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Thank goodness he's leaving radio. I used to enjoy his morning chuckles back in the 1980s, but in the last 10 years he's swerved so far right I don't even care to listen to him anymore. That Detroit radio will be free of his rabidly anti-union diatribes is a relief.
    Yes, heaven forbid that there are people who have other opinions than you on the airwaves. It would be a shame to allow others to voice opinions other than your own on a public forum.

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    Yes, heaven forbid that there are people who have other opinions than you on the airwaves. It would be a shame to allow others to voice opinions other than your own on a public forum.
    Oh, guito ... what is it you don't understand? Back in the 1980s, Dick was doing what he did well, being an enjoyable morning jester, cracking simple jokes and making fun prank phone calls. His game was never opinion. That's why it was so sad toward the end, listening to him sounding like an embittered old man, some cranky straw boss, with nothing better to do but offer complaints that weren't even amusing. You know: Sorta like you.

Oh, guito ... what is it you don't understand? Back in the 1980s, Dick was doing what he did well, being an enjoyable morning jester, cracking simple jokes and making fun prank phone calls. His game was never opinion. That's why it was so sad toward the end, listening to him sounding like an embittered old man, some cranky straw boss, with nothing better to do but offer complaints that weren't even amusing. You know: Sorta like you.
    Well, I understood your previous post as you voicing your opinion that you want him off the air due to his recent right-wing, anti-union comments. I replyed to your post, albeit sarcastically, with my opinion that he has just as much right to be on the air as you do. You also have the right to not tune into his program.

Your next post removed the political element. I assume you did this to try to make me look like I am some sort of right-wing wackjob. To your points though, I would not know, I do not listen to him nor have I ever. I am relatively young [[31) and he just was never "in my radar" so I cannot comment as to how you said his show was degrading over time.

My "complaints" may not be amusing to you however they were completly logical and on point. While, in contrast, your post has turned into a personal attack based on your perception of me off of one forum post.

Ravine Guest

Cripes!! It's a thread about Dick Purtan, and yet, here we go...

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    Well, I understood your previous post as you voicing your opinion that you want him off the air due to his recent right-wing, anti-union comments. I replyed to your post, albeit sarcastically, with my opinion that he has just as much right to be on the air as you do. You also have the right to not tune into his program.

Your next post removed the political element. I assume you did this to try to make me look like I am some sort of right-wing wackjob. To your points though, I would not know, I do not listen to him nor have I ever. I am relatively young [[31) and he just was never "in my radar" so I cannot comment as to how you said his show was degrading over time.

My "complaints" may not be amusing to you however they were completly logical and on point. While, in contrast, your post has turned into a personal attack based on your perception of me off of one forum post.
    Hahaha. Somebody call the WAAAAAH-mbulance.

DC48080 Guest

That is illustrative of the diference between liberals and conservatives. If conservatives don't like something on the radio they change channels. If liberals don't like something they hear on the radio they will whine about it and insist that nobody should be able to hear it.

Bottom line: If the ratings determine that a radio program is worthwhile, it will be on the air. If liberal talk radio was what people wanted there would be more of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Cripes!! It's a thread about Dick Purtan, and yet, here we go...
    Exactly my thought. How did a column about a long-time disc jockey's retirement become a pissing match about union/non-union politics?

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    That is illustrative of the diference between liberals and conservatives. If conservatives don't like something on the radio they change channels. If liberals don't like something they hear on the radio they will whine about it and insist that nobody should be able to hear it.

Bottom line: If the ratings determine that a radio program is worthwhile, it will be on the air. If liberal talk radio was what people wanted there would be more of it.
    I guess I'll have to deduct several reading comprehension points because I only said I was relieved he's going off the air. As for Purtan, um, I guess I must be a "conservative" because all I ever did was change the channel.

Sorry to ruin your perfectly good theories with the facts, CD.

DC48080 Guest

I guess I'll have to deduct several reading comprehension points because I only said I was relieved he's going off the air. As for Purtan, um, I guess I must be a "conservative" because all I ever did was change the channel.

Sorry to ruin your perfectly good theories with the facts, CD.
    I do not like to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed. It shall suffice to say that you have proven my point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast