Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 3.8 Earthquake near Chicago

Surprised no one posted this already. Happened in the early morning hours.
    Last edited by Ray1936; August-01-10 at 08:25 PM.

Hmmmm.... didn't know there was a fault running thru Illinois!

The closest fault I'm aware of is the New Madrid fault in southeastern Missouri. A repeat of the famous 1811 earthquake near New Madrid [[whose tremors caused church bells to ring as far away as New England) could devastate both St. Louis and Memphis.

lilpup Guest

There are often similar quakes around the east end of Lake Erie.

.... I'm assuming that's related to the Niagara Escarpment...
    Last edited by Gistok; February-10-10 at 03:30 PM.

I guess this answers the question about earthquakes in the central USA....

http://folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu/recenteqs/

Talked to my daughter today who lives in Chicago [[downtown) and she slept right through it. Another friend's daughter who lives farther north [[in the Andersonville area) was awakened by it. They've had earthquakes in the past, but it's been awhile.

I live downtown about 14 floors up. I woke around 4:00, to hear a loud pop in the bedroom window which has always been difficult to open since the frame shifted awhile ago. Could have been the wind, but it's never made a sound that loud.

A couple hours later though there was a nice sunrise, and as you can see, the snow on the edge of the rooftops still remains in place.

Wolverine, what building is that to the right, with what looks like small windows?

It's the elevator / utility side of a condo building. The front and back is almost entirely glass.

Wolverine, Thanks for the info. Only been to Chicago a few times. Loved it, the Art Museum and the Aquarium!

It was Obama's fault. Ask a teabagger.

Funny, but I thought Michigan was part of the New Madrid Fault but am wrong. We have felt the after shocks however from the Erie quakes. What fault is that one?

Over the past 3 months there have been more Earthquakes and tremors near the 'Ring of Fire' regions. That is a tell a tale sign that Earth is alive and kicking. However these geological signs are a preview to the polar shift and global geomagnetic reversal in the horizon for the year 2012. When the Winter Soltice begins on that year. All the planets in the Solar System will align in order. Earth will change its polar direction by 25 degrees. There will be a slow to quick geomagnetic reversal that would result of 25% loss of Ozone. Small extiction of the planets flora and fauna species; the Earth crust will be slowly displaced. There will be more quakes, bad weather and massive floods and tsunamis. Winters may be longer in either Asia or North America. A lava magma plume explosion may happen blocking out sunlight, spewing out poisonous gases into the atmosphere. and over 2 billion people will die. After the planets in the Solar System is out of alignment, then the Earth will be back to its normal directional course. The process will be slow so look for the signs of the times. The Mayans marked the year 2012 as the year a comsic planetary cleansing at the end of Kat'un. That does not mean its the end of the world. Its the beginning of new things and man must adapt to this change.

Who said the world needs man in order to continue?

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Who said the world needs man in order to continue?
    Nobody. The whole 'save the planet' thing really means save our measely species.

Quote Originally Posted by punky1 View Post
    Wolverine, Thanks for the info. Only been to Chicago a few times. Loved it, the Art Museum and the Aquarium!
    I just went to the aquarium for the first time since I was 4, it was enjoyable, but a free day. Had to wait 2.5 hours in the cold outside to get in. The line into the building measured almost 1000 feet!

Danny,

After reading your posts here for the past few years I'm ready to say that you're the smartest person on the DYES board. So, what is your plan for the cosmic planetary cleansing? I-75 north?

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Over the past 3 months there have been more Earthquakes and tremors near the 'Ring of Fire' regions. That is a tell a tale sign that Earth is alive and kicking. However these geological signs are a preview to the polar shift and global geomagnetic reversal in the horizon for the year 2012. When the Winter Soltice begins on that year. All the planets in the Solar System will align in order. Earth will change its polar direction by 25 degrees. There will be a slow to quick geomagnetic reversal that would result of 25% loss of Ozone. Small extiction of the planets flora and fauna species; the Earth crust will be slowly displaced. There will be more quakes, bad weather and massive floods and tsunamis. Winters may be longer in either Asia or North America. A lava magma plume explosion may happen blocking out sunlight, spewing out poisonous gases into the atmosphere. and over 2 billion people will die. After the planets in the Solar System is out of alignment, then the Earth will be back to its normal directional course. The process will be slow so look for the signs of the times. The Mayans marked the year 2012 as the year a comsic planetary cleansing at the end of Kat'un. That does not mean its the end of the world. Its the beginning of new things and man must adapt to this change.
    So, I don't suppose that any of that stuff will lead to the Lions having a winning season, will it?
    What the hell. If things are going to go all topsy-turvy, a guy of my age should keep his wish-list short.

Haikoont Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I just saw that movie too, Danny. John Cusack, "2012". Decent movie, but would have been better if I had it on Blu-Ray. What about you...did you see it on Blu-Ray, or in the theatre?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    It was Obama's fault. Ask a teabagger.
    wow, what's with all the hate? Tea Party people are American people. So are libs and right wingers. Don't forget that. I'm sure if we started using a nickname for a graphic sexual act to describe Democrats on this site, the outrage would run wild.

The tea party movement is "out there" on several issues, but controlling government spending, cutting waste & corruption, and protecting individual freedom and private property are a few things all Americans should support.

Quote Originally Posted by devman1983 View Post
    Danny,

After reading your posts here for the past few years I'm ready to say that you're the smartest person on the DYES board. So, what is your plan for the cosmic planetary cleansing? I-75 north?
    No!

God, the son Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit has prepared for me and his followers of his church an ark of his faith and salvation. He has prepared me to look for the signs of the times. If that sign comes, I will cloak myself from danger, watch, pray and be ready for judgement and possible eternal life. The Earth will be cleansed from the sins and pollution of the world. It does not the mean the Earth will end in fire until revelation between the Satan and Jesus has been done.

When 2012 comes, the cosmic conflict of the Solar System will begin. The Earth and the planets will take a cosmic bath. It will be a slow to quick process. If mankind and any other flora and flauna species survived this event, they life will go on. If not they DIE! The Earth WILL NOT die from this cosmic conflict. It will stretch, shake and wash the sins of man that is polluted her enviroment with his garbage. Two to five billion people WILL DIE from its cosmic cleansing. World governments will vanish in a blink in a eye. Food surplies will be gone, The sky will be black as sackcloth. Poisonous gasses will fill the air. Diseases will be rampant with not cure in site. Fewer plants and animals will be extict, The seas will be dead seas. The lands will be a wastelands. The enviroments will be MAD MAX, filled with choas and anarchy for many distances. After the cleansing is over, the plants the trees will grow, new plants and animals will envolved, Man, [[if they survive) will have to adapt to primative nature filled the mind of primative dialectical materialistic classless culture simular to the cartoon version of the Smurfs and life will be go on. But not for anyone.

2012 will be the start of cosmic cleansing. It will be slow, but may get quick when the Earth changes. BE PREPERED!
    Last edited by Danny; February-19-10 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haikoont View Post
    I just saw that movie too, Danny. John Cusack, "2012". Decent movie, but would have been better if I had it on Blu-Ray. What about you...did you see it on Blu-Ray, or in the theatre?

This is no joke! I saw the movie but that's not the way how 2012 is going to happen. It will be very slow, to very fast cosmic cleansing of the Earth and the planets of the Solar System. It does not mean the end of the world, but a beginning for something new. A better Earth will no pollution.

Danny,

How do you plan on cloaking yourself from danger? I wouldn't rely solely on Jesus Christ and the holy spirit. His absense and unwillingness to reincarnate himself has proven him to be unreliable. I hope you have some alternative plan.

Aren't we in the realm of Erich von Doniken and the Chariots of the Gods? Including the Turkish discoveries.