Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Specs Howard Commercial

If anyone has a snow day like me today, they might find themselves watching daytime TV rather than doing anything productive. Between commercial for lyposuction, the law offices of Sam Bernstein and Zamler, Mellon and Schiffman, and shows about doctors with degrees from universities of questionable accredidation, there sometimes runs a commercial for Specs Howard. You know the kind: You've obviously not got much going on in life, so hows about a career in the medical, IT, or broadcast arts fields?

Anyways. this Specs Howard commercial is shot in a graffiti covered row of concrete columns a la Albert Kahn. I'm betting this abandoned industrial building is in the City.

Anyone know what building this is? Do you think Specs Howard [[a "legitimit" broadcast arts school) attained the proper permits for this?

I have not seen the commercial, but I would bet the commercial itself was a student project.

It's actually a guy being interviewed about Specs Howard. It could be that students make commercials for Specs Howard as projects.

It looks as though it's shot inside of one of the Russell Industrial Complex's spaces.

There are plenty of legitimate renters in that space so I doubt if there needs to be any permits pulled and I doubt if Specs Howard or their students decided to trespass on some vacant property to shoot that particular spot.

I think I've seen that commercial a few times. Russell Industrial Center?

I used to like those commercials from Control Data Institute. Remember that one? It was one of those "daytime commercials" you're talking about. One guy said, "I was a mailman; now I'm a computer programmer." Well, dummy, you should've stayed a mailman -- you'd be retired by now on a nice federal pension instead of being laid off like everyone else!!!

I think old FUN magazine spoofed those ads with one guy saying, "I used to be cold outside pumping gas; now I'm inside where it's warm."

LOL, 'nerd, that one would be completely lost on this generation...all raised to pump their own, cold or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I think old FUN magazine spoofed those ads with one guy saying, "I used to be cold outside pumping gas; now I'm inside where it's warm."
    If memory serves me right, wasn't the FUN magazine article about the Sterling Heights Institute of Technology?

Why is it one can never remember the really important things in life but one can remember silly things like this?

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    If memory serves me right, wasn't the FUN magazine article about the Sterling Heights Institute of Technology?

Why is it one can never remember the really important things in life but one can remember silly things like this?
    Haha. I believe you're right, SB. I laughed out loud over that one, back when I first saw it. I don't remember much else from FUN, except for the issue where they explained why the Scooby Doo characters were obviously on drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by dookie joe View Post
    I used to like those commercials from Control Data Institute. Remember that one? It was one of those "daytime commercials" you're talking about. One guy said, "I was a mailman; now I'm a computer programmer." Well, dummy, you should've stayed a mailman -- you'd be retired by now on a nice federal pension instead of being laid off like everyone else!!!
    Can't... stop... laughing! Thanks, I needed this!

Do they ever tell you how far out of town you'll have to go to get a job after you "graduate"?

I can't speak for the permits [[I doubt that any were pulled, IMHO), but I can tell you from speaking to several "graduates" to AVOID Specs Howards "school".

daddeeo, echoes one of the complaints that I've heard about their job "placement" policies [[providing that there is a job to be had).

The jobs offered are low/no pay, and many are out of Michigan.

Benefits? Are you kidding.

For what you pay on tuition, you are paying for an entry level position.

Save you money.

Those stupid vocational students and their "jobs."

They arent smart enough to be the PhDs and Kings of Industry that spend all their free time posting on DetroitYes.

Got that right baby.

Quote Originally Posted by dookie joe View Post
    That's funny. I was just thinking of that commercial today - before seeing your post - and even looked for it on youtube. There's something about the way he said "I waas a mailman..." that made it memorable.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Those stupid vocational students and their "jobs."

They arent smart enough to be the PhDs and Kings of Industry that spend all their free time posting on DetroitYes.
    I didn't get the feeling anyone here was making fun of people who went to vocational schools. I know I wasn't. Hell, I don't have a degree in anything, so who am I to look down on someone else? I was merely chuckling at some old commercials.

I think your indignation is misplaced.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post

because, in the end, it is really the silly things that actually matter

"life is too important to be taken seriously"
    --Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by boogiechillen View Post
    Anyways. this Specs Howard commercial is shot in a graffiti covered row of concrete columns a la Albert Kahn. I'm betting this abandoned industrial building is in the City.
    That is the Display Group warehouse on Fort Street across from Salvation Army. They also use that space for the Art Institute commercial for interior design.

Default Specs Howard- Sales pitch

I am currently a student at Specs Howard, and can tell you they have a great sales pitch. Our graphics class started out as 26 people and is now down to 16! They advertise it only being two days/nights a week choose your own schedule.... sounds promising for those who can still work a full time job. I have had to quit my full time job and get help from my parents to continue the program because it is way more work then it looks. Your actually taking 4 classes, one them is completely online, one 1/2 and 1/2, two are in the classroom. Spend anywhere between 35-40 hours per week between live and online classes. I encourage anyone who is interested to SIT in an class, not just walk through on a tour. Find out about the homework load, and all the extra details before signing the paperwork. They make it sound like they care personally and promise you they are going to help you every step of the way...even mention they will call if you miss a class to make sure your okay unlike other college programs. 3 students have just been dropped from the program with no warning or so much as an email, because of too many absences.
    READ between the lines, its a great program but they need to change their salespitch.... being roped in with getting a fully loaded mac laptop for the course.

I was a college graduate but ended up at the Post Office. It wasn't my first choice but I made a career out of it and am now retired. I also have health benefits.
    Colleges don't tell you about job prospects in the area or that you may have to travel out of state to get a job after
    you graduate.
    Working for a paper was out of the question when I got out in the late 70's unless I worked out of state for peanuts.
    Too bad I had a kid on the way and bills to pay.
    Unfortunately, there aren't many jobs [[in government or out) to be had much less in the media these days.
    Unless you have an aptitude for nursing or maybe computers, you're screwed today.

Unfortunately, there aren't many jobs [[in government or out) to be had much less in the media these days. Unless you have an aptitude for nursing or maybe computers, you're screwed today
    We are moving into a knowledge-based society with a core focus on service. The are of making things will soon be lost here in the US of A.

I do not work at Specs, but I have been around the circle of education both secondary and post-secondary elsewhere...

Call you at home when you don't come to class? Er, hmmm, actually, that is the parlance and duty of teachers at the K-12 level. Once you get to post-secondary college/ career training level most instructors/ professors do not call... It is the responsibility of the adult student to self-monitor their own level of attendance.

I think the main issue with schools like Specs Howard, International Academy of of Design and Technology, Art Institute of Troy, ITT Tech etc is that they are "accelerated" programs and that simply is NOT for everyone... or every learning style. And too many schools do not admit that up front. What is accelerated? Any course that is not the 15-16 week semester set up you see as the fall and winter options at most community colleges and universities and most 4 year private colleges.

College for Creative Studies [[my alma mater) is on the 16 semester semester cycle and it's a killer to make the cut there in terms of course work load for the Bachelor and MFA programs. The only 10 week classes they have are for their certificate programs.

I can see why many have the need to get thru faster at the accelerated 8-10 week based semester or quarter institutions, but you have to examine yourself and see if you can handle that, OR not.

When a school compresses 16 weeks of training into 8-10 there will be a great deal of work on the behalf of everyone required, including the teachers of course. Choose your institution of higher learning carefully....
    Quote Originally Posted by campergirl09 View Post
    I am currently a student at Specs Howard, and can tell you they have a great sales pitch. Our graphics class started out as 26 people and is now down to 16! They advertise it only being two days/nights a week choose your own schedule.... sounds promising for those who can still work a full time job. I have had to quit my full time job and get help from my parents to continue the program because it is way more work then it looks. Your actually taking 4 classes, one them is completely online, one 1/2 and 1/2, two are in the classroom. Spend anywhere between 35-40 hours per week between live and online classes. I encourage anyone who is interested to SIT in an class, not just walk through on a tour. Find out about the homework load, and all the extra details before signing the paperwork. They make it sound like they care personally and promise you they are going to help you every step of the way...even mention they will call if you miss a class to make sure your okay unlike other college programs. 3 students have just been dropped from the program with no warning or so much as an email, because of too many absences.
    READ between the lines, its a great program but they need to change their salespitch.... being roped in with getting a fully loaded mac laptop for the course.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-28-10 at 01:19 PM.

Default Russell Industrial was the location

I believe the graffiti room in Building One at Russell Industrial Center is where it was shot. They also had several other commercials shot on the 4th Floor of Building 4.

Yep the ones on the main page are definitely shot at the Russ

http://www.specshoward.edu/
    Last edited by Novack; March-30-10 at 08:31 AM.