Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 19 20 21 22 23 24

agreed, SB never fails to provide good insights, infact, most of the comments here reflect realistic assessments of our beloved -and pitiful - Lions.

Thes last few games give me some hope for better days. Mayhew is making some great trash picks with Logan and Vrush[[ sp? ...new db...) . Next yr I can envision veteran players wanting to come here and join VandenBosch and Suh... that's assuming we have a next yr.

It will be interesting to see how the negotiations work out, maybe we wont have a season next year.
    I see there are 7 6-10 teams this year. We have the last draft spot among them, that sucks.
    Both top corners will be gone at #13. I think we swtich to OLB which has a couple of good ones on Travis Lewis and Von Miller or O-line with perhaps Nate Solder. I would be happy with either position. We obviously have a problem at corner but I also see a need at running back, someone a little more of a, "between the tackles", type of back. An intriguing posibility is Mark Ingram.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    It will be interesting to see how the negotiations work out, maybe we wont have a season next year.
    I see there are 7 6-10 teams this year. We have the last draft spot among them, that sucks.
    Both top corners will be gone at #13. I think we swtich to OLB which has a couple of good ones on Travis Lewis and Von Miller or O-line with perhaps Nate Solder. I would be happy with either position. We obviously have a problem at corner but I also see a need at running back, someone a little more of a, "between the tackles", type of back. An intriguing posibility is Mark Ingram.
    There's just crazy money to be had by BOTH sides if they can sit down at the table and talk it out. I hope they can get it together and not have a lockout. And for us Lions fans, we've got momentum dammit!

But as far as the 2011 draft order goes:

Carolina Panthers [[2-14)
    Denver Broncos [[4-12)
    Buffalo Bills [[4-12)
    Cincinnati Bengals [[4-12)
    Arizona Cardinals [[5-11)
    Cleveland Browns [[5-11)
    San Francisco 49ers [[6-10)
    Tennessee Titans [[6-10)
    Dallas Cowboys [[6-10)
    Washington Redskins [[6-10)
    Houston Texans [[6-10)
    Minnesota Vikings [[6-10)
    Detroit Lions [[6-10)

For the first time in ages, dare I even suggest that the Lions should actually pick the best player available- with the exception of quarterback? So we can't get either of the top corners in Patrick Peterson and Prince Amukamara- but that doesn't mean we can't get someone of value at 13 either. And who knows what sort of wheeling and dealing Mayhew & Lewand can pull off? Those two have earned my trust so far and they just might be able to climb up a few notches.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    And who knows what sort of wheeling and dealing Mayhew & Lewand can pull off? Those two have earned my trust so far and they just might be able to climb up a few notches.
    If I had to predict, I would actually think they might go the other way and trade down. Now that they're out of the top three, where picks are just too darn expensive to have trade value, the pick that they're at will likely be very valuable to other teams sitting a few spots below them. If #13 comes along and they have two or three guys that they could go with and someone at #15 or #16 is interested and dangles a 2011 third rounder or 2012 second rounder, Mayhew could trade down. If that pick comes around and his guys are still there, he could rinse and repeat.

The middle of the first round is a great place to be in terms of trading down, if a team is so inclined. With the Lions having needs at OLB, CB, Off Tackle, and others, I could see them taking advantage of this.

Assuming the draft happens, of course

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    The middle of the first round is a great place to be in terms of trading down, if a team is so inclined. With the Lions having needs at OLB, CB, Off Tackle, and others, I could see them taking advantage of this.
    I agree, if we can gain a pick by moving down bit that would be perfect. There are a lot of guys from 15-20 that would fill a hole on our team in mostly the OLB and Oline position.
    I dont like the idea of trading up to get a top corner.

Being 13th in the draft is better than 7-9 where you pay big $$ but could easily have a bust at that spot [[then again the Lions have busted many of their number 1s, 2s and 3s).

After seeing which division we are playing next year [[if there is a next year) I kind of hesitated on my 9 win prediction but I think I will stay with it.

I believe we sweep Minnesota; split with GB & Chicago and then knock of Seattle, SF, Denver, Carolina and either Dallas or Oakland...not sure on those two yet.

LIONS CAVEAT

While yes this is progress I hate to bring up the 7-9 season of 2007 where we turned around in 2008 and went for the big goose egg.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Being 13th in the draft is better than 7-9 where you pay big $$ but could easily have a bust at that spot [[then again the Lions have busted many of their number 1s, 2s and 3s).

After seeing which division we are playing next year [[if there is a next year) I kind of hesitated on my 9 win prediction but I think I will stay with it.

I believe we sweep Minnesota; split with GB & Chicago and then knock of Seattle, SF, Denver, Carolina and either Dallas or Oakland...not sure on those two yet.

LIONS CAVEAT

While yes this is progress I hate to bring up the 7-9 season of 2007 where we turned around in 2008 and went for the big goose egg.
    I think the biggest caveat that you have to bring up about the busts at draft occurred under the Millen regime. Let's bring up a few names like:

-Jeff Backus, Dominic Raiola & Shaun Rogers [[2001)
    -Joey Harrington, Kalimba Edwards & Andre Goodman [[2002)
    -Charles Rogers, Boss Bailey & Cory Redding [[doing well in Seattle at least) [[2003)
    -Roy Williams, Kevin Jones & Teddy Lehman [[2004)
    -Mike Williams, Shaun Cody & Stanley Wilson [[2005)
    -Ernie Sims, Daniel Bullocks & Brian Calhoun [[2006)
    -Calvin Johnson [[finally a keeper!), Drew Stanton & Ikaika Alama-Francis [[2007)
    -Gosder Cherilus, Jordon Dizon & Kevin Smith [[2008)

How many of these guys are still even in the NFL much less football? I think this list really speaks volumes to the horrific drafting that we had to endure under Millen- and most of those first round picks were high picks too, not middle of the pack.

I'm not about to cut Mayhew/ Lewand/ Schwartz a freebie just yet because some of their third round picks [[Derrick Williams comes to mind) haven't exactly panned out either but they've also scrapped much of what was there and have had to completely rebuild this team up from the ground. I think the intellect of this crew is so much more sharper and decisive than the buffoonish ogre that was Millen; do we need to bring up how many verbal miscues he had to the media? Beyond what happens on the field, the combination of Mayhew/ Lewand/ Schwartz plays it much closer to the vest, doesn't divulge insider knowledge out [[Why should the entire league know who our starting line-up is prior to game time? Keep 'em guessing!), and does not use the press to help coach or manage the team. I believe the Lions brain trust now is much more professional and tactfully much more savvy than Millen has ever been.

Beyond the last four games of the season which were enjoyable & entertaining to watch, it's really the leadership in these three guys that give me hope for the future of this team. And that's not to say that they still might slip up [[time management in the Jets game is the best example this year of a Schwartz flub) from time to time, but I'm willing to cut these guys a wee bit more slack [[not too much because we fans still want to see victories) as they also learn on the job. They've more than earned a passing grade with me so far. Gone are the dark pompous clouds of Millen and it should give us some measure of hope of better things to come.

Heard on WWJ that Suh will skip the Pro Bowl to have shoulder surgery. He wants to have it done asap to allow a 100% return for the upcoming season.

My Pro Bowl story. While living in Honolulu in the 80's, I attended the Pro Bowl each year. One year, on the Saturday night before the game, I was having a few at a club called Spatz in the Hyatt Waikiki. While standing at the bar next to Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Lynn Swann, I struck up a conversation with him. The next thing you know, we're pounding Mai Tais like nobodys business. The club stays open till 4 am. At about 4:30am I'm feeling prettty good and Lynn can barely standup. Mind you, kickoff is 7 1/2 hours away, and he is starting at receiver. I go home and grab a few winks, get up and head to the game with my roommate. I told him about drinkiing with Swann and how I thought he would be unable to catch a pass, let alone run a route. Just before kickoff, they annouced that he was a scratch with an ankle injury. Lol, I knew the real reason.

What a great story, Downriviera!

In an odd way I'm glad to see Suh getting himself pulled together in the off season to get his shoulder worked on [[who knew?). I'm hoping that Calvin Johnson somehow pulls himself from the All Pro Game as well; he did have an ankle injury now. Again, I'm stating my disgust for what has become of practically all of sports and their all-star games. It's a great honor to be selected by the fans, sports writers or their peers but the games have become jokes.

Who really watches these games anymore? Does anyone really care? Especially with the All Pro Game in Honolulu. I guess at one point it was a nice perk for the player to get a trip to Hawaii but in the day of multi-millionaire players- who can't afford to go at their own whim and leisure?

And don't even get me going on MLB's All Star Game- where an exhibition game can actually have ramifications on the World Series. How insane is that just because the game ended in a tie one year? The All Star games in hockey and basketball, all defense in thrown out the window and it's a shooting gallery. Heck, I'd almost rather settle for the skills competitions in these respective sports than seeing these skilled athletes going through the motions like this.

Injury? God forbid any of these guys gets an injury at the game. That sure as heck doesn't help the fan base. And for football where it's still truly a violent contact sport and where physical contact is so intrinsic to the game, how can one really play it at a slow speed without serious fear of getting injured? Just try to imagine Ndamukong Suh not going 120% full bore towards the other team's quarterback- it just isn't happening.

So take the accolades, the honor, and any financial perks that come with getting chosen for the game but I'm all for eliminating them altogether.

Smogboy, you and I usually agree on a lot of things but I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.

If anything, I think that the number of players [[in all sports) that turn down their invitations to the various all star games is disheartening. The fans are the ones that put them there with hope of seeing the best of the best play together. If they're injured, fine, but so many are obviously just 'skipping it' these days that it's almost laughable and shows that the players aren't as honored to be selected as they were in generations past.

When I think back to when I was a kid, the mid-summer baseball All Star game was something I couldn't wait for. To see all the greats come together, it sure didn't seem meaningless to me. I loved it from start to finish.

As far as the potential for injury goes, I agree with you but I don't think it's as likely as you think. Now that I'm an adult, I really don't care that they aren't playing at 100%. They play more at the level of what you and I would play in a game of backyard football. They go and have fun with it. Some might argue 'what's the point, then?' if they're not playing 100%, but to a kid who might really get a kick out of seeing their favorite players from across the league come together and play, do you think they really know the difference? Or care?

I think that if you take it for what it is, a chance to honor players and a chance for those players to have fun, it is a positive thing.

The one part I do agree with you on is that the MLB All Star game shouldn't have World Series implications. That's silly.

Yeah, 'fraid we're going to have to disagree here sirrealone [[which is still okay as we've got the Mutual Respect Club member handshake still going on).

Any time I think of All Star games, I still think of what Pete Rose did to Ray Fosse during the 1970 All Star Game; he separated Fosse's shoulder in the collision. I still remember the criticism that Rose took for his over aggressiveness in an exhibition game and I still remember the disgust from Cleveland Indian fans at losing their catcher for a stretch.

Now rather than totally lambast baseball for their All Star Game, I always thought the competition there was for fun and the risk of injury was minimal because contact between opponents is minimal. Their All Star game is as close to any sort of real competition as it gets. For games like basketball, hockey and especially football- hard physical contact is a part of that sport. Taking that aspect out of it changes up the game- even if it's in an exhibition setting. The NBA's All Star Game is more remembered for the Dunk Contest now more than the actual game itself. The NHL All Star Game is pretty much pond hockey with the poor goalies getting peppered. And out of all the all star games, the NFL All Pro Game is the most forgettable. As much as I love all four of these sports, I couldn't tell you when was the last time I sat down and watched the All Pro Game or even really cared.

That being said, I loved the fact that my team's player got chosen. It was always cool knowing "one of ours" was the chosen the best. Having fan input into that sort of balloting is neat and is a great way to honor these guys- but even within the last few years with all star balloting things have become tainted by certain cities [[Montreal & Vancouver in particular) having their fans use bots to electronically stuff the ballot boxes just to see their third line defensemen make it into the game. At that point, is it even true fan balloting any more?

The honor of being chosen is still there. The need for the actual game itself doesn't need to be there any more. And I think part of that allure is gone because if it's about the fans, how many of can even remember the scores of the last All Star or All Pro games? That's why I'd much rather advocate for skills competitions. We still get to see our favorite players competing one on one against their peers but in a controlled environment. They still have a sense of pride in their efforts and we can still see them perform at a high level.

The games have changed and society's changed as well. The appeal of seeing a meaningless game in light of all of the sports available to us now is almost overkill. With the advent of a 24 hour ESPN, we get to see so much more sports now as opposed to the days of our youth when the respective All Star games had some pull on the three major networks. It was the only game back then to watch; we've got so many more entertainment options available to us now and not just in sports either.

The appeal of most All Star games has left me. MLB still has a chance but please remove the home field advantage for the World Series game stipulation from it. We might as well have a coin toss for home field advantage at that point- it's insipid and a knee jerk response to a tied game that we barely remember.

As it stands now the Pro-bowl is not much more than a flag-football game . It means nothing. Risks everything and serves no purpose other than making money for those involved. If the players make to the team, they get a spiff, and the Nfl gets a little tv dough.

The answer could be in re-thinking the entire circus. MLB is on the right track with whomever wins their league gets home field advantage in the World Series, but that solution does not apply to the nutral fields of SuperBowls.

How about making the losing league forego wearing helmets the next season? Or making them run naked through Fairbanks?

Right now it's [[barely) a moneymaker. Almost as bad as the runner-up bowls they had in late '60s.

I say get rid of all of the All-Star games. They are pointless, meaningless [[other than MLBs rule which is pretty decent) and are boring.

As for the "awards" or accolades or what-have-you, do these athletes really need anymore worshipping? Cripes, it is like all the award shows for movies and/or music; just about one every month...just how many awards do these people need in order to feel good about themselves?

Okay, before this thread gets completely hijacked to talking about All Star games [[we can calmly discuss it on this thread about them if we want: http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=4413), should we wrap this thread up and consider the Lions season somewhat entertaining, has given the faithful some hope, given us fodder to consider the 2011 NFL Draft, and next season if there is one?

SB, I Second your motion on calling this thread to a close. Moreover, since you openned this thread, I nominate you to start a 2011 Blue Veiner thread, can I get Second?

I second this resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    SB, I Second your motion on calling this thread to a close. Moreover, since you openned this thread, I nominate you to start a 2011 Blue Veiner thread, can I get Second?

Seeing as how I've been so auspiciously nominated [[and seconded), I guess I should get on it then.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 19 20 21 22 23 24