Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Default 2010 Detroit Lions

The New Orleans Saints have been crowned as the Super Bowl champs. Congratulations to a worthy champion and kudos to the people of New Orleans who stuck it out and who've been through hell and back- not just with their team but with the Katrina disaster.

But even now in the off-season, our Detroit Lions have been garnering some buzz especially with the upcoming draft. Is it going to be McCoy or Okung with the first pick? Are we fans going to have another "Brandon Pettigrew WHO?" moments in this year's draft?

It also looks as though they're trying to come up with the Eraser by having WR Donte' Stallworth work out now. They've also signed running back DeDe Dorsey- the MVP in the UFL playoffs? We're getting players from the Las Vegas Locomotives now?

Even in the off season, our semi- sad sack Honolulu Blue & Silver are making some noise.

Again, a lot of stuff to discuss. So fellow DYes folks- please do.

smogboy, I did a small bit of research and I now know why our Lions aren't going anywhere,anytime soon. Good teams can find diamonds in the rough and develop them in the later rounds or FA's. Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

These guys are starters on there teams and they are not from Div I schools.

Champion- New Orleans Saints

Marques Colston - Hofstra D-1AA
    Jermon Bushrod- Towson D-1AA
    Jahri Evans- Bloomsburg D-11

Indy Colts

Pierre Garcon - Mount Union D-111 WOW !!!
    Antoine Bethea - Howard D-1AA
    Robert Mathis - Alabama A&M D-1AA
    Gijon Robinson - Missouri Western State D-11

Until the Lions get scouts that can find these types of players they aren't going to a playoff game much less the Super Bowl anytime soon

I couldn't agree more firstandten!

One expects their early high end draft picks to succeed but it's truly the later round picks that can carry a team. The examples you sited are dead-on as to the luck/ skill of these teams and their scouting staffs [[kind of reminds me of how the Red Wings find all of these obscure European players). Millen really stunk the joint up with his selections the last few years- even his high end picks couldn't make the team much less his later round picks. We can only hope that Mayhew/ Lewand/ Schwartz can do a much better job in this year's draft.

But getting back to finding those diamonds in the rough and developing them- we really really need to do a MUCH better job at finding those players. Not only do they become immensely valuable skill wise to your team, they offer depth and in this day and age, salary cap relief. I did some quick number crunching here for the players you mentioned:

New Orleans
    Marques Colston - $7,453,360
    Jermon Bushrod- $375,640
    Jahri Evans- $450,640

Indianapolis Colts
    Pierre Garcon - $366,600
    Antoine Bethea - $450,280
    Robert Mathis - $4,410,000
    Gijon Robinson - $300,760

With the exception of Robert Mathis, the rest of those guys are DIRT cheap and will probably remain loyal as all sin to the team that gave them a start and a shot at the Super Bowl.

We can only hope that things will turn and we can have this conversation years from now about our team's diamonds in the rough.

Gerald McCoy has gotten a lot of positve press lately. Some are saying he may be the top choice in the draft now ahead of Suh. I gotta think this only makes our position better, either way we are getting a darn good d-lineman,

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Gerald McCoy has gotten a lot of positve press lately. Some are saying he may be the top choice in the draft now ahead of Suh. I gotta think this only makes our position better, either way we are getting a darn good d-lineman,
    I agree. There seems to be a lot of hype now over McCoy, just like there was a few months back for Suh. I think a lot will be known after the combines and workouts. I can't see Detroit losing out with the either one. And depending on how desperate the Rams are up for a QB, the workouts for Bradford and Clausen could force their hand and give Detroit a choice of Suh, McCoy or even Berry.

We will know a lot, after the season gets underway.

Eric Berry would make no sense. While I can't argue with his talent, the only way that a pairing of him and Delmas would live up to their true potential would be if the line and the corners were able to do their job effectively. Without those upgrades, though, having a top notch safety unit doesn't pack the punch that it could.

If they stay at number two, I'd rather see them take one of the DTs [[Suh, McCoy). My ideal prospect would be to trade down a few spots where they could still consider a lineman depending who's available, but that would open consideration to a corner as well [[which would then leave the d-line to be addressed in the second or third round where they'll have hopefully added an additional pick or two from having traded down).

Gotta take advantage of d-lineman thats going to contribute right away that is the quality of those two.
    Trading the pick for a couple of picks does make sense with our lack of overall talent. If somebody is really hot after one of those 2 lineman then get greedy and demand there first, second and third.
    Millan was good at trading picks and getting more picks. However he then went out and drafted guys that made no sense.

I've always said that the reason Millen was so bad at the draft is that he spent so much time maneuvering around the draft board and making trades that he ran out of time to research the actual picks.

I think a first, second, and third is a lot to expect unless they're moving out of the top eight. Even then, my guess is that one of the 'extra' picks would probably be a 2011 pick, as I doubt many teams are going to want to be locked out of the second and third round in what is considered a very deep draft. I'd realistically see them moving down no lower than six, and netting a second round pick and a sixth or seventh round pick, or a 2011 5th rounder.

Folks, I going out on a limb here. I predict 4 wins total for the lions in 2010. I believe they were worse last year than the 0 -16 season. 4 is my prediction for the next season. Save this post.....

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Folks, I going out on a limb here. I predict 4 wins total for the lions in 2010. I believe they were worse last year than the 0 -16 season. 4 is my prediction for the next season. Save this post.....
    How are you even basing this prediction? And especially if you say this team is worse than the 0-16 team. You can't even point to four victories on the schedule because the NFL schedule isn't even out yet! These sort of ill informed predictions might as well be done by randomly rolling dice. Yes, you've gone "out on a limb" to make this prediction but there isn't much of a "tree underneath it" either.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut, once in a while. The lions are under a big walnut tree. They got to win some games, sometime.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut, once in a while. The lions are under a big walnut tree. They got to win some games, sometime.
    So what nuts are you talking about? Walnuts too? We've all been sitting under the same dang collective tree for ages and growing moss already. You talk the talk but can hardly walk the walk here. There's plenty of chatter but do you even know any of the Lions projected moves, trades, draft choices or even the team at all? Seriously if you were to call into any of the local shows on the radio and just said "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut, once in a while. The lions are under a big walnut tree. They got to win some games, sometime." I'm sure the host[[s) would ask for evidence to back this up.

Folks like sirrealone, kenp, smogboy, and firstandten have an opinion [[not that we have to agree with them) but they can back it up. All I'm asking for respectfully is for the evidence, facts, or even gut calls as to why you make this supposition. I won't guarantee that I'll agree with you or support you but I just might if given something more than a fortune cookie's worth of verse.

I'd like to see what Mayhew/ Lewand will do in free agency the next few weeks. Once they start targeting and obtaining some of those pieces, it could start setting up for their picks in the draft. Are the Lions going after Kyle Vanden Bosch? Will there be a trade for Antonio Cromartie? Will there be a chance of obtaining Anquan Boldin for a third round draft pick?

And if we get these people in free agency and/or by trading for them, how is this going to affect their selections in the upcoming draft? Will Mayhew trade the number two pick away to get more picks? Really there isn't much news to talk about now because it's all speculative at best and Martin Mayhew is staying mum- which I kind of like. I don't foresee Mayhew saying much until any deal is done. We fans can speculate all we want, but he's not going to show his hand until the trigger is pulled. And even if there is going to be a swap at the day of the draft, I can see him stone cold poker faced at the table not flinching until he's heard every last offer before he makes a move. But as of this very moment, our Lions are no better nor are they any worse than they were the very last day of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Folks like sirrealone, kenp, smogboy, and firstandten have an opinion [[not that we have to agree with them) but they can back it up.
    I'm curious as to what you might find objectionable or up for debate now.

Thruster, Your too serious about a terrible organization and that is your right, and I respect it. I just look at the lions past as an indicator of the lions future. They haven't given me any surprises, in many, many years. Are you new here in Detroit?

Thruster, Your too serious about a terrible organization and that is your right, and I respect it. I just look at the lions past as an indicator of the lions future. They haven't given me any surprises, in many, many years. Are you new here in Detroit?
    Lifelong Detroiter here and have followed the team for years. I can debate this team, its ownership, their record, and their numbers all day long if you want. From the depth of your Lions' observations, are you sure you're not new to the Lions team??

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    Will there be a trade for Antonio Cromartie?
    Scratch that one if you believe the Detroit News reports-
    http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...onio-Cromartie

The straight up for a fourth or fifth rounder might not have been bad but they also wanted Maurice Morris who seemed like the more explosive back after Kevin Smith went on the DL last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    The straight up for a fourth or fifth rounder might not have been bad but they also wanted Maurice Morris who seemed like the more explosive back after Kevin Smith went on the DL last year.
    I can't imagine Maurice Morris was the dealbreaker in this trade. Even if they were to trade Morris and a pick, that would scrub a starting CB off the list, which would make taking a RB in the second or third a more justifiable strategy. At that point, you could sign someone just as good if not better than Morris, wait for Smith to come back plus the new rookie [[I wouldn't mind seeing LeGarrette Blount in the third) and you'd be upgraded from 2009.

I would venture to guess that the draft pick requested was probably more of a sticking point, if in fact this deal is dead. I read that one possibility here was that SD wanted either Detroit's fourth or fifth [[which is practically a fourth anyways), where Detroit maybe didn't want to part with anything higher than the fifth rounder that they obtained from Denver. They most likely think that they can get good value from the fourth or early fifth round pick, and since Cromartie has one year on his deal, that might not be worth it to Mayhew.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    I can't imagine Maurice Morris was the dealbreaker in this trade. Even if they were to trade Morris and a pick, that would scrub a starting CB off the list, which would make taking a RB in the second or third a more justifiable strategy. At that point, you could sign someone just as good if not better than Morris, wait for Smith to come back plus the new rookie [[I wouldn't mind seeing LeGarrette Blount in the third) and you'd be upgraded from 2009.

I would venture to guess that the draft pick requested was probably more of a sticking point, if in fact this deal is dead. I read that one possibility here was that SD wanted either Detroit's fourth or fifth [[which is practically a fourth anyways), where Detroit maybe didn't want to part with anything higher than the fifth rounder that they obtained from Denver. They most likely think that they can get good value from the fourth or early fifth round pick, and since Cromartie has one year on his deal, that might not be worth it to Mayhew.
    It very well could have been what San Diego valued Cromartie at and what Detroit's perception of his value. Cromartie was once a Pro Bowler and I'm sure SD wants to tout that he still has it in him and Detroit's bound to talk about the declining productivity since then. Knowing of his multiple kids with multiple women away from the game haven't exactly helped his character. The $25,000 in missed child support also signals some character issues to which the Lions will probably bring up in negotiations as well.

San Diego obviously values Morris as he's a known commodity and could start immediately in replacement of Tomlinson. I'm sure both sides talk up the value of what they have to offer and respectfully talk down the value of what's being shown to them.

I wouldnt touch Cromartie if I were the Lions. The Chargers dont want him because of his lack of effort in the playoffs. He's injury prown, loosing he skills plus he cant even read and is considerd mildly retarded.

Those may be perfect reasons for the lions to go after him, too me.

I really want them to win a lot of games, but I don't think they will.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    I wouldnt touch Cromartie if I were the Lions. The Chargers dont want him because of his lack of effort in the playoffs. He's injury prown, loosing he skills plus he cant even read and is considerd mildly retarded.
    I wonder if Cromartie would be worth it on a disciplinary front. Detroit's got a relatively young team and do we need a chemistry issue erupting in the locker room? Does Schwartz want to deal with this guy? It makes me wonder if Jim Schwartz might've had a hand in nixing the deal to spare any drama in the locker room. It's tough enough coaching and motivating an NFL team already. Does he need to play disciplinarian on top of it?

Granted Cromartie will want to shine in this his contract year, but is he worth the headache to the coaches and his influence on the younger players? Balance that with what we could conceivably be giving up [[fourth round draft pick and Morris), he just might not be worth it. Seeing as how deep this draft is, our fourth round could be a pretty good pick. Martin Mayhew ended up with Sammie Lee Hill last year in the fourth and he did alright his rookie year.

It's great to explore options out there for good players but some come with far too much baggage and hassle. Cromartie very well could be one of those players.

smogboy, Do you think the team would ever consider TO. ?, to team up with CJ.

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast