Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Palmer Park

Default Palmer Park

When I was a kid in the 1950's my parents used to take me to Palmer Park and I remember a log cabin that I think was built by Mr. Palmer. Does anyone know if its still there?
    Thanks!

LodgeDodger Guest

Is that the log cabin near the pond where we went to change into our ice skates and get hot chocolate?

Yes, I thought we used to feed the ducks at the pond, but didn't see any pond on Google so thought after 50 years I was mistaken about the pond.

the pond is there on google, the cabin is on the south end of the park, just west of the pond......

Thanks, Goose.

I remembered the cabin looking bigger and the water bluer!!

Where was the creek located where canoeing was done?

No canoeing in Palmer Park.

What kind of condition is that cabin in? Anyone been inside?

If it's going to keep deteriorating due to lack of money for maintenance, perhaps the City could sell it to someone interested in dismantling and moving it. Get some revenue out of it.

Anyone have any photos or info on the cabin? Who built it, when and why? Was it actually someone's residence at one time?

From the Palmer Park Apartments website.
    http://www.metro-apartments.com/palmer_park.html...

Senator Thomas W. Palmer gave Palmer Park as a gift to the City of Detroit in 1897. Situated near Seven Mile Road and Woodward Avenue, the park consists of more than 280 acres - 100 of which are natural woods. One of the unique attractions of the park is its historic Log Cabin which Senator Palmer built in 1885 as a summer cottage for his wife, {Lizzie] Merrill. Senator Palmer was a lumberman by trade and served our nation as a United States senator and Minister to Spain.

Palmer Park Log Cabin postcards and commentary
    http://postcardkris.blogspot.com/201...n-detroit.html

When we attended the Palmer Park Green Art Fair last June, we checked out the Log Cabin, which was not open. The Cabin seems to be in decent shape, nothing open to the elements that I can recall. But it's been a while since I remember it being open during an event. The Art Fair was held on Log Cabin Appreciation Day, yet it was not open.

The Pond was pretty scummy. Don't know if it got cleaned up during the summer.
    Last edited by Kathleen; February-10-10 at 10:37 AM.

As we say in the Navy, Kathleen, Bravo Zulu [[Well Done!)
    Is this the same Kathleen that offered so much valuable info to the old forum on Auto Factories?

I think the pond as usable for canoes is gone... I recall all of that in 1983.....
    Quote Originally Posted by rodj44137 View Post
    Yes, I thought we used to feed the ducks at the pond, but didn't see any pond on Google so thought after 50 years I was mistaken about the pond.

As we say in the Navy, Kathleen, Bravo Zulu [[Well Done!)
    Is this the same Kathleen that offered so much valuable info to the old forum on Auto Factories?
    Thanks, rodj44137. Yes, sir, I did participate in that wonderful HOF Old Car Factories thread!!

Where was the pond located? Does anyone has photos of the park during the period of the 1950s to the 1970s?

The pond is still there. It did not go away. I am sure it provides an abundant home to the region's mosquito-american community.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    The pond is still there. It did not go away. I am sure it provides an abundant home to the region's mosquito-american community.
    What location is it?

I don't know why anyone thinks the pond is gone. It's very clearly visible on Google Maps satellite view.

There was never a canoe rental at Palmer Park that I recall. In the 50's our family went there regularly. The park had a golf course, tennis courts, shuffleboard and horseshoe courts. On the west side of the park near the golf course there was a casting pond. Sunday mornings a casting club met there to practice for tournaments. The last time I was there was in the late 70's. The outside three wall handball courts were used quite a bit. In the 50'sthe cabin was still open to the public. It was situated near the NW corner of the pond. The concession stand was near the SE section of the pond. In the late 60's the DPD had their academy in the building which addressed on Merrill Plaisance. In the ealry 50's there may have been pony-buggy rentals available at the park.

I seem to remember canoes out on the pond during the mid to late 70's. There was a small little stone "castle", or something like that, around the pond area. The cops used to ride their horses through the park which was a hoot. Played PAL baseball on the diamond closest to Woodward. Good times.

I don't remember any canoes, but there was/is a small island in the middle of the pond with what I thought was supposed to be a small lighthouse. The ducks used to go out to the island if they got tired of being near the people. There was also a smaller pond on the other side of a footbridge that had running water so that the ducks had open water in the winter.

You could skate to the island in the winter, but there were signs saying not to go on it.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I don't remember any canoes, but there was/is a small island in the middle of the pond with what I thought was supposed to be a small lighthouse. The ducks used to go out to the island if they got tired of being near the people. There was also a smaller pond on the other side of a footbridge that had running water so that the ducks had open water in the winter.

You could skate to the island in the winter, but there were signs saying not to go on it.
    I remember the island and the bridge, but not much else. I remember being told not to skate past the bridge.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rideron View Post
    Thecabin is gonna crumble or burn, the pond is a cess pit.
    What color is the sky on Planet Rideron?

I have a photo of that little castle and some other Palmer Park shots from the 50s and will look for them later tonight or tomorrow. Oh, how I loved that place. The ice skating was amazing. Not just a rink where you go around and around, but a whole big area with trees and islands. A wonderful place to go as a child.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast