Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default detroit hates security bars?

OK, Ive lived a few places, but have never seen a community so upset w crime, but so against security bars on windows as detroit. Yes they can be a bit of an eyesore, but Im wondering my they arent more widely used in detroit w as much crime as is talked about. Here in L.A. you even see them in decent neighborhoods. Can anyone enlighten me why detroit isnt more open to them? My home has them and I feel alot better at home or away knowing Ive at least got something to slow them down if they choose to break in.

Quote Originally Posted by n7hn View Post
    OK, Ive lived a few places, but have never seen a community so upset w crime, but so against security bars on windows as detroit. Yes they can be a bit of an eyesore, but Im wondering my they arent more widely used in detroit w as much crime as is talked about. Here in L.A. you even see them in decent neighborhoods. Can anyone enlighten me why detroit isnt more open to them? My home has them and I feel alot better at home or away knowing Ive at least got something to slow them down if they choose to break in.
    On the contrary, I'd say plenty of people have barred their windows over the years. Perhaps we could respond better if you offered a story or two of how Detroiters don't like security bars?

bartock Guest

This is a little like saying that Detroit gas station and party store owners hate plexiglass.

lilpup Guest

security bars on windows and doors have killed a lot of people in house fires around here

security bars also insinuate there's something inside worth stealing

Security bars are all over the place in Detroit. Many of the homes that don't have any have a burglar alarm instead.

I had security bar storm doors on my house in Detroit, they were nice looking, although I was a bit hesitant because there is a bit of a negative feeling you get when you see them on homes. But my windows were the Fenestra windows that crank open and I decided to get an alarm system instead. The bars look awful with the crank-open windows.

well........ I just know when I left detroit in 1994, i rarely saw window bars........ here in LA, people seem much less crime concerned, but window bars are very common thats all. I didnt knwo if there was some code violation against them, other than the historically accurate regulations that say Boston/edison may have.........

Far as the people dying from them, then they got the cheap kind w no release levers, Now thats NOT a good idea. at least one release set needs to be in every room. Ive grown fond of my bars, and will apply them if and when i return to the BIG D
    Last edited by n7hn; February-09-10 at 03:30 PM.

well........ I just know when I left detroit in 1994, i rarely saw window bars........ here in LA, people seem much less crime concerned, but window bars are very common thats all. I didnt knwo if there was some code violation against them, other than the historically accurate regulations that say Boston/edison may have.........
    I'm surprised to hear you say you rarely saw them. I know one person who claims to have made a fortune selling them in Detroit throughout the 80s and 90s. [[Then again, I didn't have any on anyplace I lived back then!)

They have all been scrapped!

lilpup Guest

Far as the people dying from them, then they got the cheap kind w no release levers, Now thats NOT a good idea. at least one release set needs to be in every room. Ive grown fond of my bars, and will apply them if and when i return to the BIG D
    The incidents that have gotten attention have been neighbors and firefighters not able to get in fast enough to help people they know are in the house - the release levers don't mean shit then.

Ive grown fond of my bars, and will apply them if and when i return to the BIG D
    Wow. I can't imagine becoming "fond" of security bars, and if I felt I needed them when I returned, I wouldn't be returning.

When I was staying in the Saarland in Germany, the neighborhood we were in had metal shutters that people closed from the inside like vertical blinds. They said it was for energy conservation. Certainly turned the houses into fortresses, though. From the outside looked like the rolling metal doors that people roll down in front of businesses, but no housing above, as it was all on the inside rolled to the outside.

Kinda neat.

I'm not sure what's more strange - the fact that you've been gone 16 years yet make a general statement about a place where you don't live, or the fact that you say this despite there being tens of thousands of homes in the city with bars on all their windows and doors.

In some neighborhoods, nearly every home on the street has iron bars.

Well, I lived near herman gardens and never saw a home w bars on it when I was there. Ive been there in the last 16 years..... Its called "google maps" and I roam up and down streets, seldom seeing security bars. I brought it up to get some opinions on them, gheesh. Im not judging, just asking. Personnally I like the metal shutter idea....... I just think a pane of glass isnt sufficient and now that Im used to them I dont think I ever wanna be without them. No they arent fool proof, or very attractive, nor very safe....... call me crazy.

I never did like them till I had them, I assumed it meant high crime, or trashy areas, but sh*t if it protects my home,,,,,, and my lil dog, Im game.

Mostly I enjoy the posts here, sometimes people are a lil too ummmmm..... touchy and or hostile........ all the more reason for bars Id say

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    security bars on windows and doors have killed a lot of people in house fires around here

Flowers, trimmed lawns and well kept exteriors are also a lure to crimminals.... so should we all just not mow, paint, or take out the trash?

lilpup Guest

Flowers, trimmed lawns and well kept exteriors are also a lure to crimminals.... so should we all just not mow, paint, or take out the trash?
    data source other than your ass?

data source other than your ass?
    No from a burglar actually...... via a interview on crime. He went thru a list of things he looked for when choosing a property to break into .

My ass isnt worried about detroit....... and therefore has no general opinion or facts on the metro detroit area. Thanks for including it tho......

Aesthetics aren't even the point. When a neighborhood is so dangerous that you need to have security bars on the windows, it's no longer good enough to live in, and it's time to get the heck out of there. Period.

I've always made a rule to NEVER live in an area of the city so bad that there are bars on the upper windows. On the basement windows or a security door I can get to. We have security doors and door gates and glass blocks for the basement windows. BUT I am not living anywhere with bars at the first floor main window. Absolutely not.
    Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    Security bars are all over the place in Detroit. Many of the homes that don't have any have a burglar alarm instead.

I had security bar storm doors on my house in Detroit, they were nice looking, although I was a bit hesitant because there is a bit of a negative feeling you get when you see them on homes. But my windows were the Fenestra windows that crank open and I decided to get an alarm system instead. The bars look awful with the crank-open windows.

Exactly!! Time to go... and for sure, not an area to move into if possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    Aesthetics aren't even the point. When a neighborhood is so dangerous that you need to have security bars on the windows, it's no longer good enough to live in, and it's time to get the heck out of there. Period.

Yes, that is a point. I lost a family member in a house fire, though bars was not an issue, fast moving smoke was. But I will not live in bars and barbed-wire. NOPE. Basement window blocks and bars ok, but I've seen homes in areas so bad and GIVEN OVER to crime they have bars up on the second floor. That's nuts!

Most people on my street do not have them. And we generally try to avoid having them because of the fire risk, but also that they are ugly and make the area seem more crime ridden than it may actually be. We also feel that if everyone in the neighborhood watches out for everyone else there is no reason for bars.

ROTFL! I wish this were just a joke, but in some really bad areas even the metal security doors are stolen. I recall a friend trying to restore a home and had installed steel security door to keep the scavengers, strippers and scrappers off and out of the house only to return to the property and find the doors gone and the house partially stripped.
    Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    They have all been scrapped!

Most rental codes [[nationwide) and Section 8 provides that bars are not allowed unless there is at least one window per room where the bars can be opened. Many renters use a padlock with the key nearby, but the fire marshall probably doesn't think that's a very good idea. Double sided deadbolts on entry doors are also prohibited, a thumb turn must be on the inside.

Insurance companies lately are also insisting that bars be removed from exteriors, and that includes Detroit. I took off a pair last month to make the insurer happy.

Bars in many neighborhoods came off during the 90s, and the only ones left were the security gates at the rear, side, or front entries. However, I have installed a few sets in the last couple years or so for renters that requested them [[after the flat screen disappeared). They were of the unlocking types that don't violate Section 8.

Most common stolen items in board-ups I have done in the last few years are flat screen TVs, followed [[still) by game consoles and DVDs. Oh, and firearms.

On the outside it does make it a little fortress like but when you put them on the inside with a hinge they're not as visible and you can access the exit easier if needed.

Good info HT, that would explain why in a way there's been a decline in seeing them as much on upper windows!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Most rental codes [[nationwide) and Section 8 provides that bars are not allowed unless there is at least one window per room where the bars can be opened. Many renters use a padlock with the key nearby, but the fire marshall probably doesn't think that's a very good idea. Double sided deadbolts on entry doors are also prohibited, a thumb turn must be on the inside.

Insurance companies lately are also insisting that bars be removed from exteriors, and that includes Detroit. I took off a pair last month to make the insurer happy.

Bars in many neighborhoods came off during the 90s, and the only ones left were the security gates at the rear, side, or front entries. However, I have installed a few sets in the last couple years or so for renters that requested them [[after the flat screen disappeared). They were of the unlocking types that don't violate Section 8.

Most common stolen items in board-ups I have done in the last few years are flat screen TVs, followed [[still) by game consoles and DVDs. Oh, and firearms.