Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Our world a giant hologram?

This is really something far out! I just starting reading a bit about this and couldn't help but sharing.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...html?full=true

DRIVING through the countryside south of Hanover, it would be easy to miss the GEO600 experiment. From the outside, it doesn't look much: in the corner of a field stands an assortment of boxy temporary buildings, from which two long trenches emerge, at a right angle to each other, covered with corrugated iron. Underneath the metal sheets, however, lies a detector that stretches for 600 metres.

For the past seven years, this German set-up has been looking for gravitational waves - ripples in space-time thrown off by super-dense astronomical objects such as neutron stars and black holes. GEO600 has not detected any gravitational waves so far, but it might inadvertently have made the most important discovery in physics for half a century.

For many months, the GEO600 team-members had been scratching their heads over inexplicable noise that is plaguing their giant detector. Then, out of the blue, a researcher approached them with an explanation. In fact, he had even predicted the noise before he knew they were detecting it. According to Craig Hogan, a physicist at the Fermilab particle physics lab in Batavia, Illinois, GEO600 has stumbled upon the fundamental limit of space-time - the point where space-time stops behaving like the smooth continuum Einstein described and instead dissolves into "grains", just as a newspaper photograph dissolves into dots as you zoom in. "It looks like GEO600 is being buffeted by the microscopic quantum convulsions of space-time," says Hogan.

If this doesn't blow your socks off, then Hogan, who has just been appointed director of Fermilab's Center for Particle Astrophysics, has an even bigger shock in store: "If the GEO600 result is what I suspect it is, then we are all living in a giant cosmic hologram."

Read the rest of the article click on the New Scientist link above. Stuff like this gives me hope for mankind. I smiled out loud, SOL.

Everything is tiny! My shit job is so tiny! Somehow this whole idea puts everything in a blurry new light.

... an infamous quote.... "and crawling on the planets face... some insect called the Human Race".... [[Rocky Horror Picture Show)

Qweek, et al,

I never thought I'd live to hear theoretical scientists and Buddhist monks speak the same language...describing similar basic conclusions. I may be soon able to reconcile my mystic and scientific natures. There may never BE any intersection between faith and science, but they are approaching their limits. I know we're close, I can 'feel' it.

I've been tracking a few converging postulates, and with my latest data and experiences have concluded that the most outrageous premise from Philosophy 101...that we may indeed be stuck in vats of amniotic fluid with some sensory trickery happening in order to manifest this 'reality' to each of our ego-psyches...may indeed be the MOST true. Only we are not being messed with by a mad scientist, but rather some dark-energy beings that somehow feed off of our negative emotions.

Closest I can get to an analogy that fits is to add the basics of The Matrix series with that of the cartoon movie Monsters, Inc.. Just like the discovery from Monsters, Inc., joy and laughter and love are a thousand times more powerful than the grunge that opposes all that...but until we make the choice to ignore anything that isn't light and love and peace, we are powerless to perceive anything beyond the pit it seems we are each stuck within.

It helps to explain why mystical things even occur...I used to think that a Godlike positive Being was in charge of all that we perceive, when indeed it seems very clear that the usurper, the dark one the mythologies and religions say was kicked out of heaven, is in charge on the Earth...for whatever reason. It may turn out to be some cosmic bet between the two of them, and I'm fine with that.

I previously thought that negatives were the 'meddling' in an otherwise good earth experience, when now it is clear they are the norm...while any and every instance of love, forgiveness, peace, joy, comfort, and light are the marvelous exceptions to the rule. This is oddly proof that a grander Godlike Being is in control beyond our earth, who gets some particular pleasure in turning around things designed for evil into 1000 times more good...if it weren't the case, evil would be the ONLY thing we experience here, and that joyfully isn't the case.

But for whatever reason, the Enemy of this Time Being runs the show here, for now...and everything that tickles our five blatant senses IS indeed an illusion [[manipulated by it and it's assistants), as the Buddhist masters insist and the theoretical scientists are busy confirming. There is abundant proof that we ARE each unique and very creative beings, in that way echoes of the main Creator and Architect of all we perceive and beyond...but each of us must awaken to this deep truth and act upon it.

It is not so much what gets served to us here and now, but rather how we react to it that matters. I have no proof this is absolutely true, but that is how things seem to be adding up. Too many hints pointing in this direction to not be so. Too many things helping prove not only reincarnation, but also that there is some grander scheme to each of us discovering and beginning to move positively.

I daresay that science will never prove the existence of God, since it demands an understanding at our level of perception and intelligence...but with each and every investigation and discovery, we will continue to reluctantly discard even our most cherished theories and assumptions while facing the next huge question that points honest and sincere individuals straight to the point of decision whether to make that leap of faith that in retrospect is always the tiniest of baby steps. The leap of a choice to accept the notion that there just might BE a Creator God, and the mythologies and most basic of religious premises have been right all along...to the best of their language at the time of their particular revelation.

There is a certain clarity to all of this, when one accepts that all that we hold dear in this 3d-linear time existence is NOT all that exists...and that which we CAN perceive indeed distracts from a much greater reality well beyond.

Cheers from the razor's edge,
    John

not exactly a new idea, and not exactly a hologram as we normally think of them:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...-holographic-p

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
    -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Ravine Guest

Now c'mon, Jimaz, Gannon's post wasn't that burdensome.

Gannon, what a deep, thought provoking post. No matter how much we humans dig to find the secrets of the universe there will always be an area we can't comprehend. I don't have much time to respond this morning, but I will be thinking of your ideas today.

And Jimaz...you give me goosebumps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f94j9WIWPQQ

<<<chuckling into my espresso

LOL, yeah Ravine...thanks. I know I went all metaphysical tangentially.

I've been wrestling with a bunch of stuff I stumbled upon back in November, it is still computing within my gray matter.

Nearly every time I get into it with anyone, they say their brains start to ache.

Imagine what its like being stuck in mine.

Lucky, once in a while I can just take a snow day...like today...and ponder the seemingly impenetrable. It is almost as much fun as scrabble or chess.

Today I'm greatly enjoying the hologram. Everywhere I turn I see beauty.

And all this merely on caffeine, too. Go figure. I must've caught something.

Cheers,
    John

For many months, the GEO600 team-members had been scratching their heads over inexplicable noise that is plaguing their giant detector.
    That reminded me of the story about the accidental discovery of cosmic microwave background radiation. At first they blamed the mysterious interference on pigeon droppings.
    After thoroughly checking their equipment, removing some pigeons nesting in the antenna and cleaning out the accumulated droppings, the noise remained.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    --

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds
    J. Robert Oppenheimer
    actually, Krishna. more acurately, Krishna as translated by Swami Vivekananda
    Last edited by rb336; February-10-10 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    actually, Krishna. more acurately, Krishna as translated by Swami Vivekananda
    Ah, yes. I should have used nested quotes.

I'm having a "microscopic quantum convulsion of space-time.", and I like it!

A little perspective. This is almost nauseating, fair warning.

http://kottke.org/10/02/insanely-deep-fractal-zoom

Qweek, I thought I'd throw this out there, and you probably have seen it. But this is a good reference to our place in it all.

http://www.dump.com/2010/03/21/does-...ou-feel-small/

This is my favorite, the universe inifinity zoom. The music really adds to the experience...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVLRD...628&feature=iv

Michigan Guest

I do not want to thread jack, but did anyone notice the contrails pointing to those "controlled burns" on the Canadian side? Predator drones firing Hellfires on suspected jihadists perhaps? I can't believe no one else on here saw those.