Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Taste Pizzabar ...what do you think?

We tried a new place to dinner for us last night, "Taste," the pizza bar behind Trolley Plaza. We had the $25 special, which was one pizza of our choice and any two glasses of wine.
    The wine and pizza were really great. We had the margarheta pizza. Great sauce.
    Has anyone else been there? Food was great, atmosphere sucked. You walk up a steep flight of stairs and enter a stark bar with pounding house music. My wife wanted to leave, but I said we're giving it a try. Hostess suggested we go to their dining room. Huh? You walk through bar and lounge and there are tables that overlooked the back of Trolley Plaza. Stark, not cozy and again the pounding house music from the DJ in the bar. This was around 8 p.m.
    I can't see this place surviving. Atmosphere is too weird but pizza was great. Not as interesting as Motor City Brew Works, but good..
    Anyone else been there? What do yo think?

I Went there before a Red WIngs Game at around 5pm. . .There was no one playing music at the little stage at the time. The pizza was great!

The best part is when it was someone's birthday that night and the waiter started singing "Happy Birthday to you" and the Entire Restaurant joined in! It was a blast.

When we left there was someone playing like a smaller conga drum. . not too loud though.

I got a panino and it was the smallest thing I had ever seen.

My wife and I went there a few weeks ago when a friend of ours came from Chicago for a weekend at the Book Cadillac. The music was so loud, we couldn't carry a conversation. However, the place was full of people--ecclectic and happy all. The pizza was four-star. The chef even created something special for my wife, who cannot eat dairy or tomatoes. She said it tasted great. We found the service to be friendly and responsive; our waitress turned down the music at our request.

The location is a challenge. I can't imagine Taste gets much foot traffic; we had to really look for it.

I recommend giving Taste a try.

Some co-workers and I went there for a farewell party. It was a week night and the place was busy although not packed. Very nice mix of people too. Food was great as well as the service. I agree that it's a bit odd that you have to walk through the lounge area to get to the dining room and the music can be overpowering if you go later in the evening on a club night. Overall I liked the atmosphere, but I think they need some artwork. Something very modern.

I will definitely go again.

I've been there for lunch. The music wasn't a problem. The food was quite good but the service was a bit uneven. It is a strange set up and I'm not sure how well that will serve them in this economy. I would recommend them for anyone wanting some pizza in the CBD; however, Motor City Brewing Works will always be #1 in my heart.