Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Great Depression lecture series if anyone's interested...

A series of lectures called, And Still They Prospered: Living through the Great Depression
    February 27th-May 8th at the Albert L. Lorenzo Cultural Center at Macomb Community College.
    I just got the pamphlet in the mail... for anyone that's into history of the Labor movement, WWII, or just how people got along with very little ,this would be great.

http://www.lorenzoculturalcenter.com/

got mine in the mail over the weekend too..interested in the Black Bottom/Paradise Valley lectures and the Gone with the Wind lecture [[my favorite movie EVER )

My parents lived through the depression as kids/teenagers. We got a lecture about the depression every night. at dinner time.

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    My parents lived through the depression as kids/teenagers. We got a lecture about the depression every night. at dinner time.
    Don't leave the table until your plate is empty!!

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    Haha. Pappy Detroitnerd used to react like this when we'd ask for gum: "Chewing gum? You want us to buy you gum to chew on? When WE wanted to chew on something, we pulled HOT TAR out of the STREET!"

Heh. Then he'd bring gum home from work the next day. Big bark, but a soft touch after all ...

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    got mine in the mail over the weekend too..interested in the Black Bottom/Paradise Valley lectures and the Gone with the Wind lecture [[my favorite movie EVER )
    Gone With The Wind is my favorite movie too!! If you go to the GWTW talk at the Lorenzo Cultural Center, be sure to introduce yourself to the speaker...since I will be giving the talk!! Also look for a small display of GWTW items from my collection in the exhibit area.

Last edited by Kathleen; February-10-10 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Gone With The Wind is my favorite movie too!! If you go to the GWTW talk at the Lorenzo Cultural Center, be sure to introduce yourself to the speaker...since I will be giving the talk!! Also look for a small display of GWTW items from my collection in the exhibit area.

'...As God is my witness, as God is my witness they're not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over, I'll never be hungry again. No, nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat or kill. As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again..."

Thanks, Bobl. I am looking forward to attending a number of the talks scheduled during this Great Depression series as well as giving my own talk on Gone With The Wind. It is a very rich topic!!!

I agree with 56 growing up with parents who lived through it is enough for me. They talked about the good and the bad. I believe I received an education in frugality, enjoying simple pleasures and support for family and friends.

The one thing that still puzzles me is if we didn't want dinner we were told about the starving children in Turkey, why not the USA?

Sumas, my parents also grew up in the depression, but at our house it was eat your dinner because there were starving children in China. One night I suggested that we take my spinach [[or something else I didn't like) and send it to those children. Yet another spanking ensued.

Reminder!!! And Still They Prospered: Living through the Great Depression opens on Saturday, February 27 at the Lorenzo Cultural Center.

The exhibition opens that day and runs through May 8.

Opening weekend speakers...
    Staying Alive and Fighting to Survive: Detroit in the Great Depression, Saturday, February 27, 1pm

Jack Lessenberry, Michigan Radio [[WUMO-FM) commentator, veteran journalist and professor of journalism at Wayne State University, provides an overview of Detroit during the 1930s.

Paradise Valley Elegies: The Detroit Poems of Robert Hayden and Dudley Randall, Sunday, February 28, 2pm

Frank D. Rashid, professor of English at Marygrove College, examines the impact that growing up in Paradise Valley and witnessing the effects of the Great Depression on Detroit's African-American population had on the poetry of Robert Hayden and Dudley Randall.

This is a terrific exhibit and speaker series. Check out their full schedule at http://www.lorenzoculturalcenter.com...leSchedule.pdf

Get out!! I will be attending for sure now it will be nice to meet you in person

Wintersmommy: I look forward to meeting you in April. Be sure to come a bit early as I will have some of my GWTW collection on display for the talk [[that's in addition to a few items in the main exhibit area).

I'll be there on Saturday for Jack Lessenberry's opening remarks. Hope to see some of you there.

The And Still They Prospered: Living through the Great Depression exhibit at the Lorenzo Cultural Center is totally geared towards Detroit in the 1930s. Lots of great Detroit artifacts on display as well as Detroit-specific information displays.

We attended the opening presentation by Jack Lessenberry today and spent some time in the exhibit area, but there is so much to see and you get caught up talking to other visitors that we will have to go back again to take it all in.

The exhibit runs through May 8. And there is no charge.

Details and events schedule at: http://www.lorenzoculturalcenter.com/schedule/index.asp

This exhibit is worth the drive out to M-59 and Garfield Rd. And if you can attend one of the presentations, that will enhance your visit even more.

We're heading back on Sunday, March 7 to hear the presentation on Detroit's Depression Mayor: Frank Murphy.

Just a reminder....please be sure to say hi to the speaker [[me) if you attend Wednesday's talk Gone With The Wind: A Depression Phenomenon.

Here are some of the Detroit-related talks coming up!!

The Works Progress Administration in Detroit, Friday, April 16, 11am.
    Presented by Elizabeth Clemens, audiovisual archivist at the Walter P. Reuther Archives, WayneStateUniversity.

Compassion in a Crisis: The Fords and Philanthropy in the 1930s, Saturday, April 17, 1pm.
    Presented by David Janssen, vice president for internal operations at the Edsel and Eleanor Ford Estate.

HenryFordTrade School, Wednesday, April 21, 3pm.
    Presented by Bob Kreipke, corporate historian for Ford Motor Company.

How Nash Motors and the Hudson Motor Car Company Survived the Great Depression, Friday, April 23, 11am.
    Presented by Charles K. Hyde, professor of history at WayneStateUniversity.

The Essential Henry Ford, Saturday, April 24, 1pm.
    Presented by Steven Watts, professor at the University of Missouri-Columbia and author of The People’s Tycoon.

Detroit’s Belle Isle: Island Park Gem, Sunday, April 25, 2pm.
    Presented by author Michael Rodriguez, humanities librarian at MichiganStateUniversity, and Tom Featherstone, audiovisual archivist at the Walter P. Reuther Archives at WayneStateUniversity.

Packard Motor Car Company, Wednesday, April 28, 11am.
    Presented by John MacArthur, president of the Packard Motor Car Foundation.

Full Schedule:
    http://www.lorenzoculturalcenter.com/schedule/Spring2010_PrintableSchedule.pdf

FYI...To accompany my Gone With The Wind talks [[at 11 and 1 on Wednesday, April 14), I will have a display of GWTW memorabilia set up in the lecture hall, so please be sure to allow time to peruse my display in addition to the main exhibit.

Hope to see some of you tomorrow!!

FYI...To accompany my Gone With The Wind talks [[at 11 and 1 on Wednesday, April 14), I will have a display of GWTW memorabilia set up in the lecture hall, so please be sure to allow time to peruse my display in addition to the main exhibit.

Hope to see some of you tomorrow!!
    I am signed up for the 1pm talk !! Cant wait to meet you then

Wintersmommy: Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow.

Any other DYes'rs, please do stop and introduce yourself!!

Nice to meet you, Wintersmommy!! Glad you enjoyed the presentation and display. It really was quite a day!! So much fun talking to folks who recall their GWTW experiences. Great audience questions, too.

Kathleen, you're right about this series, it offers many interesting presentations with strong Detroit angles. The lecture room is great with massive videoscreens and an above-par sound system. The exhibits are really good with many special items taken from local collections. I understand the 2011 programs will center on the 1950's.

Nice to meet you, Wintersmommy!! Glad you enjoyed the presentation and display. It really was quite a day!! So much fun talking to folks who recall their GWTW experiences. Great audience questions, too.
    Kathleen the talk was wonderful and thank you again for the articles! It was a pleasure to meet you.

I will be attending the Belle Isle talk next weekend. I was suprised by how nice the exhibit was, I wasnt expecting all that.