Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Best booze shops in the Detroit area

What store woould have the best selection of alcohol in the area? Rare beers, wines and liquor? I know there is a gigantic wine shop over on 13 between Mound and Van Dyke.

That would be Champagne's, right next to the Pick-A-Nut warehouse. Yeah, they're huge, and have a crazy selection of wines and beer, along with a really good selection of liquor.

Woods party store on Mack just north of Vernier in Grosse Pointe Woods also has a really good selection of liquor, including a lot of stuff I haven't seen anywhere else.

Merchant's Fine Wines in Dearborn [[on Michigan ave)
    Cloverleaf [[on Main) in Royal Oak
    Champane's in Warren is well-regarded although I've never been.
    Wine Castle in Livonia [[7 and Farmington) is good
    Meadows in Farmington Hills [[on Farmington between 7 and 8)
    Red Wagon in Rochester Hills is good too.

I have fond memories of the old MERCHANT OF VINO stores... especially the one at 12 1/2 Mile & Northwestern Hwy.... awesome stores.... too bad they got bought out... by Healthy Foods IIRC...

Try Park Place Liqour on Charlevoix in Grosse Pointe Park and Alger's on Mack east of Cadieux in Grosse Pointe. Both great friendly places.

My friend once worked for one of the largest wine distributors in the country and I guess there was a store in Grosse Pointe that sold more wine than any in Michigan...one of the top in the country. I guess they had regulars coming in daily for the same stuff, but 95% of GP drinks anyways lol.

jtw's list is pretty right on. I have to add Embassy Market at I-94 at 12 Mile in Roseville. Also Main Party store on Main St. in Ann Arbor [[near Liberty St.), even though the staff is kind of rude, they do have tons of great stuff.

Is there any in downtown or midtown?

Should this thread be moved to Non-Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    Is there any in downtown or midtown?
    Nope, not that I've found. Very poor bottle/take-home selections in the city itself. Of course, I would love to be corrected...

Quote Originally Posted by jtw View Post
    Nope, not that I've found. Very poor bottle/take-home selections in the city itself. Of course, I would love to be corrected...
    That is no good, I was hoping there was... I have been to the Red Wagon before it has a great selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    I have to add Embassy Market at I-94 at 12 Mile in Roseville.
    Great selection, but the prices will make you wince. Possibly the best selection on the far east side to my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    Also Main Party store on Main St. in Ann Arbor [[near Liberty St.), even though the staff is kind of rude, they do have tons of great stuff.
    If we're going all the way to Ann Arbor, might as well include Beer Depot [[on William) and Morgan & York [[on Packard), and Super Liquor IV [[S. State at 94)
    AA sure beats Detroit for booze selection.

Grapevine in SH on 15 Mile and the place at Groesbeck and Metro Pkwy has a large ass selection as well. How much money can they seriously make off a bottle of Jack?

There's a place in the Eastern Market, I think it's called "Cost Plus" - not the same as that chain that was in the burbs for a while. That store has a great selection of wine and the prices seem pretty good.

I believe the largest retailer of wine in the state is Meijers. I've always been impressed with their selection as well.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    There's a place in the Eastern Market, I think it's called "Cost Plus" - not the same as that chain that was in the burbs for a while. That store has a great selection of wine and the prices seem pretty good.

I believe the largest retailer of wine in the state is Meijers. I've always been impressed with their selection as well.
    How is the selection of beer at Cost Plus?

Link to Cost Plus Wine in Eastern Market:

http://www.costpluswinewarehouse.com/

I have never been there but the reviews on Yelp are glowing and it sounds like they have a decent beer selection as well.

I second the Embassy on 12 mile at I-94. Great selection of beer [[both foreign and domestic) excellent selection of liquor [[with very nice gift sets), and a fairly decent selection of wine. They also have a good selection of cigars with a walk in humidor [[if memory serves me correctly - seldom does).

Also there is the Beverage Warehouse at 13 Mile and Greenfield. There wine selection is better than Embassy [[IMHO), but the beer selection is better at Embassy.