Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    littlebuddy Guest

Default Malt shop in Dearborn

As a kid growing up in Dearborn, there was a malt shop on Greenfield, between Michigan Ave. and Ford Rd, called Scottys I think. It had a counter with the stools, penny candy,etc. They widened Greenfield and torn it down and they build one across the street, but it was just another party store. This was in the 60's. Out at 25 mile and Romeo Plank[[where it heads north) there was a little country store. Loved going to there when we visited the farm relatives, but it too is just another party store today.

Bearinabox Guest

Oh.extra characters for Lowell

I used to go to the party store on the corner of Greenfield. I'm pretty sure this was on the northwest corner of Paul and Greenfield. It was a nice little party store, stocked with penny gums, 2-cent pretzel rods in a jar by the cash register, Star Wars cards, etc. The most expensive candy bar was Marathon, which cost 35 cents if I remember right. One time, I got curious enough to spend 80-or-so cents on a little bottle of Perrier. I thought it tasted awful!

There was also a bar along Greenfield, though we didn't go in it except on Halloween night, trick or treating. They gave us Pixie Sticks, which was hardcore for us!

I thought maybe there was a new malt shop in Dearborn, or an old-time, relatively undiscovered malt shop in Dearborn... but no, it's another nostalgia thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    I thought maybe there was a new malt shop in Dearborn, or an old-time, relatively undiscovered malt shop in Dearborn... but no, it's another nostalgia thread.
    Try Traun's on Ford Rd near Golfview.

My Sis lives out in LA, she had a Farrel's open near her. Yes it has all the candy, the zoo, the pig's trough!

Would love to hear more, Little Buddy. We have lots of people posting Warrendale memories, but that little section of Dearborn that juts into Detroit doesn't get discussed much here.

littlebuddy Guest

My Grandparents lived just off of Wyoming, near Warren. Still have a few relatives there. The area there has changed alot from when I was there in 50,s-70,s.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebuddy View Post
    My Grandparents lived just off of Wyoming, near Warren. Still have a few relatives there. The area there has changed alot from when I was there in 50,s-70,s.
    Do you remember when the drive-in was an old brick yard with pools of toxic waste? My dad used to talk about that.

littlebuddy Guest

I dad grew up then. He has talked about it, went swimming in it. Had bb gun wars with other groups of kids. He said that they tested tanks out there durning the war. Dad went to Fordson, grad. in 1950.

I dad grew up then. He has talked about it, went swimming in it. Had bb gun wars with other groups of kids. He said that they tested tanks out there durning the war. Dad went to Fordson, grad. in 1950.
    Wow. It's just amazing what they used to let children do. [[Or is it the opposite? "It's absolutely appalling what they don't let children do today!") Yeah, both my folks went to Fordson. Dad was graduated in 1948, Mom in 1956. My parents may well have known your dad.

Remember when there was an ice cream shop across the pedestrian bridge over Ford Road? Were you too old to remember the Clean-Up Parades?

littlebuddy Guest

I lived in Dearborn from 55-63, then moved to Allen Park. But most of my relatives lived in Dearborn. Don't remember the pedestrian bridge, but I do remember Paint up, fix up, clean up day while I attented Henry Ford Elem. They had a parade and I pulled my wagon with my work bench and tools on it. Lived on Rosalie about a half-block from the bean fields.

I lived in Dearborn from 55-63, then moved to Allen Park. But most of my relatives lived in Dearborn. Don't remember the pedestrian bridge, but I do remember Paint up, fix up, clean up day while I attented Henry Ford Elem. They had a parade and I pulled my wagon with my work bench and tools on it. Lived on Rosalie about a half-block from the bean fields.
    Yeah, my dad went to Henry Ford Elementary when he was a lad. Grew up on Palmer. I, myself, went to Maples, where we always had a bang-up Clean-Up Parade. I still have old 8mm movies of them, with Orville in his car waving.

When I grew up there in the 1970s, it was only about 1/4 Middle Eastern, and the European-Americans were very blue-collar, including single moms, bikers, etc. By 1979, my mom felt the neighborhood was getting too rough for her tastes and we moved to the west side of town.

When I'd get a dime or a quarter, I'd head to that party store for candy. When I could rub two quarters together or more, I'd head to IIG's bookstore at Warren and buy MAD, Cracked or Crazy. Good times.

Now Im craving a malt....Comet burger has a good malt...Trauns is an oldtime malt place?

I can't find any type of listing for Traun's. Is that the correct spelling?

Truan's is the correct speling.

Oops, spelling.

There was a great candy/soda store next to the Calvin theater on Michigan Ave., that sold magazines, every comic book you could want, and walls of candy...They had a few stools at a small counter in the back to make shakes and cones, but I think they did it on the sly as Sanders was across the street.

Quote Originally Posted by d2dyeah View Post
    There was a great candy/soda store next to the Calvin theater on Michigan Ave., that sold magazines, every comic book you could want, and walls of candy...They had a few stools at a small counter in the back to make shakes and cones, but I think they did it on the sly as Sanders was across the street.
    That wasn't Little Professor, was it?

I remember before the Calvin burned the final time. The kids from high school used to smoke dope then crawl up into the space above the ceiling. They'd find some holes and drop popcorn on people.

Also, the Calvin was the theater my dad went to on Dec. 7, 1941, and then came out of the double-feature wondering why traffic was stopped and people were talking angrily in the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    That wasn't Little Professor, was it?

I remember before the Calvin burned the final time. The kids from high school used to smoke dope then crawl up into the space above the ceiling. They'd find some holes and drop popcorn on people.

Also, the Calvin was the theater my dad went to on Dec. 7, 1941, and then came out of the double-feature wondering why traffic was stopped and people were talking angrily in the street.
    Wasn't the little professor in East Dearborn across from the Art Van furniture store?....My Dad and uncles favored that place for the racing forms and betting. The last movie I remember seeing at the Calvin was "Midnight Cowboy" and the candy store was by then a racing form, girlie magazine place, no more ice cream. Maybe it was the Little Professor 2.

Quote Originally Posted by d2dyeah View Post
    Wasn't the little professor in East Dearborn across from the Art Van furniture store?....My Dad and uncles favored that place for the racing forms and betting. The last movie I remember seeing at the Calvin was "Midnight Cowboy" and the candy store was by then a racing form, girlie magazine place, no more ice cream. Maybe it was the Little Professor 2.
    In my memory, Little Professor was on Michigan Avenue in west Dearborn, near where the Calvin Theatre was. I don't remember an Art Van there, though.

Maybe you're thinking of an east Dearborn theater, such as the Camelot? Or the one with the glass atrium? [[Forget what it was called.)

There was a Little Professor next to where the Calvin was. I too don't remember an Art Van or any other Furniture store over there but the Jacobson's store for the home.

They had more than girlie mags there. I don't remember any candy or a soda fountain.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    There was a Little Professor next to where the Calvin was. I too don't remember an Art Van or any other Furniture store over there but the Jacobson's store for the home.

They had more than girlie mags there. I don't remember any candy or a soda fountain.
    Yeah, I don't remember anything like a soda fountain at LP. They had the most amazing selection of newspapers ever. Man, my mom first took me there when I was about 10, and I bought the Chicago and New York papers, a few European ones to work on my languages, and copies of Fangoria and other stuff. I was so sad when that place closed; it was the only place on par with a New York-style newspaper shop.

My main regret though? I never hit on the blond girl who worked the counter.

littlebuddy Guest

Wasn't the Calvin on Shafer? And the Camelot on Warren? I was thinking that the Little Pro bookstore was in West Dearborn on Michigan.

Little Professor was located at 22174 Michigan Ave in Dearborn. Sadly, they closed up shop several years ago and the building was taken over by a jewelry store. The Calvin was located at 22168 Michigan Ave., until it was gutted by two fires and then demolished in 1980. Buddy's Pizza, which is one door east of the old Little Professor building, now stands on that spot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast