Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default American Job Loss Emanating from Detroit in a Fun Interactive Map!

No, this is not a Pentagon war room map of what the United States would look like in the event of a nuclear attack; it is a map of "vanishing employment across the country."

http://www.slate.com/id/2216238/

Watch as unemployment spreads from Detroit to other parts of the country.

lilpup Guest

Unfortunately "we told you so" doesn't do much good.

You can thank Wall St for this. Since the mid 90s large stock price swarms were attributed to Company Managers who shipped jobs overseas. Funny how when the shit hit the fan last fall it was the stoic american taxpayer who came to the rescue and not the Asian governments who benefitted so much from outsourcing.

Wow. What a compelling picture that graphic paints. We always knew jobs were lost, but never really understood. At least I didn't. This really drives the point home. I'm just thankful to be working....

An interesting presentation of the results of "free trade", NAFTA, and globalization; and proof that Ross Perot was correct.
    The "giant sucking sound" claimed my job in late 2007. Ten years before, there were several help wanted signs posted in the industrial park where I worked on any given day. On my last day, there were numerous empty shops with "For Lease" signs posted, and no help wanted signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    An interesting presentation of the results of "free trade", NAFTA, and globalization; and proof that Ross Perot was correct.
    The "giant sucking sound" claimed my job in late 2007. Ten years before, there were several help wanted signs posted in the industrial park where I worked on any given day. On my last day, there were numerous empty shops with "For Lease" signs posted, and no help wanted signs.
    I hear that, Bobl - driving through Industrial parks now, is like driving through graveyards. The stewardship of this country has been Lax for almost 30 years, and we were the first to get screwed.

Perhaps the abandoned industrial parks could be stocked with pheasant or quail, fenced in, and made available to "hunters" like Checkenhawk Dick Cheney.

That is amazing. If that map could go back to 911 I bet it would still show red in S.E. Mich. I'm so greatful to be employed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    I hear that, Bobl - driving through Industrial parks now, is like driving through graveyards.
    I think that too...with giant realtor signs being the headstones. It is sad, very sad. Perhaps all these industrial parks we see as dead, can be mini-movie studios.

Finally Texas as a BLUE state ! lol

I run into people from Detroit reasonably often... Down here.

Although I like Detroit for buildings and summers, face it - people want to go where its warm year round - no state or city income tax and a fair and low state property tax [[ at MARKET VALUE!). I keep saying Detroit needs both a fairer tax rate and they should make it easier for investors to research and buy properties. This just makes sense no matter what you're politics are. I believe this and am proud that I never voted for Bush and in the last election supported Paul then Obama.