Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Pets

Here are our 2 Dogs, Duece The Boxer and Brutus the Rott, as you can see they love each other, [[A little to much for my comfort) BUT we have a dont ask Dont Tell Policy with our pets, I figure if its good enough for our military its good enough for our farm.....
    Brutus was a rescue and Duece was given to me at 5 months, when his owners didnt realize what a handful Boxer puppies could be. Duece went thru his childhood by my side, just him and me and the occasional visits, from random girlfriends, who would always stop by to see him while I was at work. Then Atalie came into our life and he had a friend and his very own for keeps momma, Duece has had a Hard time adjusting to FarmLife, he went from being Superspoiled number one People pet, to just one in a BUNCH, he acts up out of spite for attention..... I wouldnt trade him fore the world, and wish I had more time to love on him.......

Ok heres a few pics of our Pygmys, these lil goats are full of life and fun to have....

SugarBaby, and HoneyBuns I got these girls for Atalie last Valentines day

Rambo, Hes our resident pygmy BUCK, He makes beautiful lil kids.

Next our First babies born on the farm, Ringo and BJ, they were born on the day I buried my sister Bonnie jean, and seeing how they were both boys, I shortened BonnieJean to BJ, so that the other goats wouldnt laugh at him..

And here is our newest addition to the farm, she was born a week ago, We hadnt even realized that her momma was bred. Introducing Nena....She was a few hours old and we werent sure if the momma was going to take to the baby, thus her sweater and coat....

We have a few more pygmys running around BUT these are my superstars!

Don't like the thought of animals being made to perform. It is unnatural. Never been to a Seaworld or the like and never will.

Remember when the zoo had a chimp show. I was happy when they discontinued that farce.

Qweek, glad you have a puggle. Ours is quite old and plan on getting a new one when he passes. They have so much personality. They also live much longer than large dogs. My mother adores him and buys him expensive dog treats, so now he is quite fat. I tell him he waddles. The only bad habit he doesn't have is farting.

In the middle of the night, he wakes me up to go outside, never bothers my husband. I feel like the potty princess. Also sometimes he hogs the bed pillows then decides he wants to sleep under our bed covers. He wakes me up for that too so I can lift up the covers for him. His method is to gentley paw my face.

Have had St Bernards, Great Danes and Mastiffs. Their time is so short on this earth.

Cute story, took the St Bernard [[who weighted 250 pounds) and my Dad's Britainy Spaniel for a walk at the park. Kids there thought the Spaniel was our dogs puppy.

LodgeDodger Guest

Puggle? I understand the "Pug", but what part of the dog is the "gle"?

Pug + beaGLE

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_uke View Post
    Pug + beaGLE
    Ohhhhhhhh. Thank you.

Puggles are wonderful dogs. I think of him as little because all our other dogs were so big. My son was a little annoyed when we adopted him . My husband told him the "dog walks proud and he walks tall". They are bandy legged dogs with very expressive faces. Very smart too. They love everyone.

Their worst trait is the beagle side of them, so they love food. Walk into the kitchen and he is there like a shot hoping for handouts. Like I said my Mom feeds him constantly. He used to be svelt but now sometimes I think he looks like a pot bellied pig.

Thanks, everyone for the photos. Pets are a wonderful thing. The photos are great!

Yw Lodge. I will never ever again have a dog that is even an ounce of beagle...as far as I'm concerned - they're nothing but escape artists. Never saw so many holes underneath the fence in my life!

LodgeDodger Guest

Body, what is the difference between a boxer puppy and other breeds of puppies?

LodgeDodger, I agree But apparently the previous owners of Duece werent prepared for it either way.

Downriveria, love the picks of your dog, stalking the beach ball, brutus was out in the snow today fetching snowballs, he couldnt figure out where they went, and would go crazy digging under the snow looking for them.... what a moroon......

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Body, what is the difference between a boxer puppy and other breeds of puppies?
    I recently adopted a "shepherd/boxer" mix. Never had a boxer type dog before.
    She is always, always, standing up! She probably thinks her name is Down! She doesn't necessarily jump on you, she just jumps up and stands there on her hind legs.

She is absolutely awful when someone walks in the door. We're working on it.

She's better than she was 6 months ago, I'm hopeful that the next 6 will show more improvement. Otherwise, she is a sweet, if energetic, dog. Very smart. Tries hard to do the right thing, but sometimes her puppiness takes over and she forgets what she's been taught. :-)

We have no indoor pets but I regard the local wild animals as pet substitutes.

My favorite story is about the baby fox squirrel I rescued from our furnace flue. That memory will last a lifetime.

The squirrel story was sweet. I had a client who had tons of bird feeders and several gardens. It attracted lots of various birds but the most consistant were red winged black birds. If the feeders were empty they would let me know and I would refill them. One day I started through one garden and it attacked me. It was beating me on the head with its wings. This on for a little over a week. Then the behavior stopped. I looked under the apple tree and found an empty nest on the ground. Those birds were protecting their babies.

Have a local nursery I go to with a similar story. The bad thing for them it was beating up their clients.

Talking of birds. I have several feeders in my yard. Then a neighbor moved in with an outdoor cat that started killing my birds so I stopped feeding them. Those folks moved and I started feeding birds again. Same thing happened, new neighbors have an outdoor cat that prowls my yard.

Default Mittens

Great thread! Mittens [[mowzerz) will be 21 this year. [[I'll have to take him out for a drink) He follows me around where ever I go in the house, unless he's sleeping... Doesn't play much anymore, but when I'm over a 100 years old I don't think I will either...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Now I am waxing nostalgic. I really miss having cats in the house. I am thinking of Grendal [[I believe in folk lore the name represents a man eating beast) She was a Manx and my parents let us keep it if it stayed in our room and we [[my sister and I) took care of it. If you bent over to grab something at the bottom of the closet it would claw its way up your backside. It could pass some serious gas too and my sister and I would flee the bedroom. Eventually the cat became a part of the household at large. Miss that cat too.

I have mentioned I have a dive bar I go to maybe once a month. We take our dog with us but if we don't bring him, regular patrons actually get mad at us. He sits on a bar stool and everyone buys him beef jerkey sticks. I have some great photos of him sitting there but don't know how to post them. The funniest photo was staged, gave him a beef jerky stick, put a beer and ashtray in front of him. The jerkey looked like a cigar. He looked like Winston Churchhill.

Mowzerz is Awesome!

I'm interested in taking part in the Leader Dogs program for housing a puppy. I have raised and trained Labrador Retrievers for over 30 years. Any info on how this works would be appreciated.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I'm interested in taking part in the Leader Dogs program for housing a puppy. I have raised and trained Labrador Retrievers for over 30 years. Any info on how this works would be appreciated.
    Go to their website and contact them. I'm sure they will supply you with information.

Sunday night, I filled out an application to adopt a dog. Since I'm being put out to pasture at the end of June, I figured we could adopt. I picked out a dog, but haven't yet heard anything. I'll keep you guys posted.

My brother in law is the director for Leader Dog. I'll call this weekend and ask him this weekend. As for adopting a leader dog washout, he once told me that people who will take any kind of dog, get dogs faster.

DR-

You can contact Leader Dogs at 248-651-9011. They are actively seeking both puppy raisers and breeding stock host families. The program is awesome.

My wife and I were privileged to have been offered a "career change" [[they are no longer called "wash-outs" from program) dog as a pet last year [[she is very cool and smart!) but recently have gotten an additional breeding stock dog and we look forward to being able to help provide puppies to the program.

Career change dogs are no longer offered to the public, or privately, as they are used for "service dogs" now. Sometimes a career change dog can be extremely adept at assistance, rather than actually becoming a leader dog for a blind person.

As we are involved in the program, if I can be of any help to you please let me know. LD can use all the help they could get right now, and having an inside connection to recommend to them might help you get there faster. I know that it did with us.

This offer is open to you as well, LodgeDodger. Feel free to IM me if I can be of any help.

Res

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast