Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

littlebuddy Guest

Default Best store for imported food products.

What stores in Metro Detroit sell the best imported food? It doesn't matter if the store sells just one kind of imported food[[Mexican,Italian,etc)or all kinds. Thanks

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by littlebuddy View Post
    What stores in Metro Detroit sell the best imported food? It doesn't matter if the store sells just one kind of imported food[[Mexican,Italian,etc)or all kinds. Thanks
    Polish Market in Hamtramck is one of my favorites.

There used to be a place called Buchholz in Warren that had a lot of German stuff, but I haven't been there in a while and can't find any reference to it online, so I don't know if it's still there. I want to say it was around 13 and Van Dyke.
    Last edited by Bearinabox; February-07-10 at 04:46 PM.

Route29 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Polish Market in Hamtramck is one of my favorites.

I second that. Bozek's on Caniff has a full Polish beer selection.

Honeybee Market in SW is another obvious one.

Cantoro Market on Middlebelt in Livonia for Italian.

Ventimiglia's in Sterling Heights for anything from the boot.

Bommarito's on the east side for Italian stuff.

R. Hirts in Eastern Market

Greenland for arabic foods. Two locations on W Warren.

I was going to say Greenland! And here's some trivia some may know: the site of the Greenland market was once the Camelot theater! Anyway they have a great selection of middle eastern food, ingredients and the produce prices are incredibly low! The Kroger up on Greenfield and Michigan has finally had to lower its outragious produce prices in response to this and other stores in east Dearborn that have incredibly low high quality produce sections.
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Greenland for arabic foods. Two locations on W Warren.

Laximi up on 8 mile and Middlebelt in Livonia is great for Indian foods and ingredients. Get authentic currie powders there of various themes and other specialty items. And of course they sell bulk Basmati rice as does Greenland in Dearborn.

Depends what kind of "Arabic" food you want. Would you want a northern Lebanese sort of vibe or sometbing with a Palestinian twist. There is a shopping center at 15 and Dequindre that has a good amount of diverse products such as tahini and grape leaves ready to be rolled. You can also get fresh pita bread there.

Now that is a good point. Arabic food does vary a bit... Lebanese is a bit different from foods from Iraq. The Greenland market has the cheapest Rolled Grape leaves though, like a dozen for under $4.00 but they are little.... yumm, yummm!
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Depends what kind of "Arabic" food you want. Would you want a northern Lebanese sort of vibe or sometbing with a Palestinian twist. There is a shopping center at 15 and Dequindre that has a good amount of diverse products such as tahini and grape leaves ready to be rolled. You can also get fresh pita bread there.

Any where in Eastern Market, hands down winners. Randazzo's on Seven Mile a close runners up.

Does anyone know where I can purchase Reddi Gourmet Cajun Seasoning? Fantastic on poultry.

Quote Originally Posted by Brittz View Post
    Does anyone know where I can purchase Reddi Gourmet Cajun Seasoning? Fantastic on poultry.
    Here's a link I found on Google where you can contact them and see if there's a local outlet.
    http://reddigourmet.com/contactus.htm

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Here's a link I found on Google where you can contact them and see if there's a local outlet.
    http://reddigourmet.com/contactus.htm
    . Thanks they will sell it by the case at over a hundred dollars. Twelve jars would be too much. I have no idea what state or city I purchased it in. They [[RG) said it is not sold near the zip of 48076. I think when it warms up, I'll try Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by Brittz View Post
    I swear i've seen that at Holiday Market or Westborn

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Bommarito's on the east side for Italian stuff.
    Is this the one on Mack just a little north of St. Joan of Arch church?

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Is this the one on Mack just a little north of St. Joan of Arch church?
    That is indeed the store. Try their homemade pizza. It is the best you'll find anywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I swear i've seen that at Holiday Market or Westborn
    OK I bet I got it at one of these markets. I will check it out. I did try Whole foods in Farm. Hills on Northwestern Hwy no luck there. I tried the fruit market on Southfield Rd. across from Honey Baked Ham [[sorry I can't recall the name now) they did not have it either. I love that market to try different cheeses.
    Thanks for the info.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    There used to be a place called Buchholz in Warren that had a lot of German stuff, but I haven't been there in a while and can't find any reference to it online, so I don't know if it's still there. I want to say it was around 13 and Van Dyke.
    In case anyone cares: Turns out I couldn't find it on Google because I was leaving a t out of the name. It's "Buchholtz," and the address is 8397 Old 13 Mile.

Incidental discovery: Google finally covered the rest of the city proper in Street View, and the quality of the new stuff is amazing.

Bommarito's is in St. Clair Shores... I just noshed on one of their jelly donuts today! [[They also carry a good selection of the Arcadia Books.)

Buchholz German Imports in Warren closed last year.

Polish Market is a great source of imported foods! They have locations in Hamtramck and up on Dequindre somewhere between Troy and Sterling Heights.

Another good source is Nino Salvaggio's.

And Meijer's has a decent supply of imported food items all found together in one aisle. They have sections of the aisle devoted to different countries and regions.

India Town at Dequindre & 15 Mile is a great little shop! It's the only place I've ever found fresh chinese long beans. They have a great selection of Indian spices, snack foods, unique frozen foods and Indian breads, plus a few pastries. And the best red pepper cashews. Yum!

I second Cantoro's in Livonia for Italian. Alcamo's in Dearborn is really good too. Also in Livonia, there is a great Japanese grocery in the shopping center on the north side of 6 just east of Newburgh, Koyama Shoten? Also a really good sushi/Japanese restaurent in the same center.

If you want to buy Mexican groceries and cuts of meat, there's only one place in Detroit: E&L Market on Vernor Hwy.