Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Congressman John Conyers, Jr.

Why is this man still in office? He has done nothing for us! Isn't there a honest man in Detroit that can run against Democrat John Conyers and boot his butt out of office in November? He and his wife are a disgrace and should have nothing to do with representing Detroiter's. Good article in the News at:
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...n-Conyers-know?
    Last edited by usa1; February-07-10 at 04:51 PM.

Good luck with that.

What had John Conyers done for Detroit anyway? Put a staples in detroit? His crazy wife had really tainted the little legacy he had

Greektown developer Jim Papas testified that he gave Riddle $10,000 to share with Monica Conyers. Papas was looking for help in securing a letter from the congressman in support of his Romulus waste disposal well.
    What did John Conyers know about the $10,000 pay-out? Was he told about the letter? And if he did know, could this be considered influence peddling by proxy?
    Did John Conyers know his son's schooling came courtesy of a businessman courting his wife's vote? Did he get any benefit from the extra money his wife was taking in? Does he share an account with Monica Conyers?
    We don't know because Conyers, who is notorious for dragging public officials before his committee to answer his questions, doesn't feel compelled to answer.

Why would Monica Conyers go to an outside source to pay for her son's schooling whene the son's father the Congressman could pay for it himself? It is some hanky pankying going on there. One more thing. What man would let a woman physically reach into his pocket without pulling her arm out before it get too deep inside to get the money. I thought all men keep their dollars in their wallets not in their front pockets

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I thought all men keep their dollars in their wallets not in their front pockets
    You keep your bank roll in your front pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by leland_palmer View Post
    You keep your bank roll in your front pocket.
    I do too. Nothing in my wallet except for credit cards, drivers license.

Most politicians from SE Michigan are a joke here in DC and I mean that literally. Mention Kwames' mother and people cringe or laugh and this is both on the left and right.

I like Mr. Conyers. Monica what were you thinking?

John Conyers is one of the most popular politicians in Detroit and Michigan history, having won reelection to the House 22 times since his initial election in 1964. He's the second ranking member of the House after John Dingell and Chairman of the powerful Judiciary Committee. The chance of him losing, or even of anyone of any importance running against him, is approximately zero. I think by this point pretty much everyone knows that his marriage to Monica is a sham.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    John Conyers is one of the most popular politicians in Detroit and Michigan history, having won reelection to the House 22 times since his initial election in 1964. He's the second ranking member of the House after John Dingell and Chairman of the powerful Judiciary Committee. The chance of him losing, or even of anyone of any importance running against him, is approximately zero. I think by this point pretty much everyone knows that his marriage to Monica is a sham.
    She does or is doing everything to sabatoge his legacy. It is ask if he is part of this synegro deal. He would be the most careless congressman in that seat if he is. This woman had done many irresponsibe things while being a councilwoman. She had also sat on the Pension Board. She probably had milked the funds also. She disrespect her colleagues on the council. She swung her vote for a few pieces of silver. Now she had been reported sticking her hands in another man's pocket for his LOOT. Other politicians try not to embarass themselves by doing things in privacy. Monica Conyers had done hers in the open and is obvious. Opposite attracts. The Conyers are primes example of it.

Monica Conyers is coo-coo for cocoa puffs people. I met her last year before all hell broke loose and she is an arragant cocky bit. John Conyers should answer questions and especially if hes got nothing to hide, right. Keepin quiet just keeps me suspicious!

What has your congressman done?

What had John Conyers done for Detroit anyway? Put a staples in detroit? His crazy wife had really tainted the little legacy he had

I haven't seen much bad or good from Mr. Conyers, but I haven't been back in the state for long enough to be an informed critic. I believe that Detroit has not profited from Mrs. Conyers time on city council, although her behavior has certainly garnered more national attention for the city and for a certain feature-length cartoon character.

I believe that Monica and John will stay married for the same reason that the Texas Kilpatricks do. Married folks can not be compelled to testify about each other's actions.

Who are the possible candidates to step in for the D.C. Kilpatrick and Conyers? Anyone who might have the interests of the voters at heart?

Quote Originally Posted by Rideron View Post
    It does not matter who the alternatives are. Conyers and Kilpatirck will win again because the voters of their districts have no expectations or self respect.

Giving those two their jobs for another 2 years is just a way of 'sticking it to the man'.

Sorry, but thats how stupidly simple it is.
    That is why some people shouldnt be allowed to vote. Lack of education

That is why some people shouldnt be allowed to vote. Lack of education
    Yeah...they should be made to take a test or something...right?

No need for testing, instead; have a requirment that to vote you have to had paid taxes to the state for state and local elections; and to the Feds for federal elections, for the last 2 or 3 years prior to the election.
    Constitution of the United States of America, 24th Amendment, Section 1
    "The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax."

No need for testing, instead; have a requirment that to vote you have to had paid taxes to the state for state and local elections; and to the Feds for federal elections, for the last 2 or 3 years prior to the election.
    That kinda sound like the rules and laws that segregationists used to implement Jim Crow laws when it came to voting. A clause like if your grandfather was a slave then you couldn't vote.

Segregationists? Jim Crow laws? WTF?????

Making having paid taxes a pre-requisite to voting has nothing to do with race, or segregation. If you don't pay taxes, you don't vote.

If you see race in that then it is you who must be assuming asians, blacks, latinos, etc are incapable of gaining employment and paying taxes.
    Calling it as I see it. To suggest that a requirement is to be added to vote is racist.

You should do some research before you post. You are calling for a requirement to be met in order to vote yet most Detroiters don't vote anyway. Eric Brown of the Detroit News has spent the past year slamming Detroiters for their lack of effort to make it to the polls. Here are some past stories you can read.

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/blogs/p...p?blogid=15456
    http://apps.detnews.com/apps/blogs/p...p?blogid=15029
    http://apps.detnews.com/apps/blogs/p...p?bloggerid=83
    http://apps.detnews.com/apps/blogs/p...p?blogid=14653

So, based on his postings only the intelligent and informed voters like myself are going to the polls. We don't need some bogus tax requirement to have the right to vote. Perhaps you should contact Tom Tancredo. He might agree with you on the tax requirement since racists like him are calling for a literacy test in order to vote like they did in the good ole' days prior to 1965.

That has to be the most idiotic thing you have ever posted. I would feel sorry for you if you were not just trolling.

"The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax."

Segregationists? Jim Crow laws? WTF?????

Making having paid taxes a pre-requisite to voting has nothing to do with race, or segregation. If you don't pay taxes, you don't vote.

If you see race in that then it is you who must be assuming asians, blacks, latinos, etc are incapable of gaining employment and paying taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    That has to be the most idiotic thing you have ever posted. I would feel sorry for you if you were not just trolling.

I don't think the dude understand that there a reason why LBJ had to pass the Voting Rights Act or why the Congress added this amendment to the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Calling it as I see it. To suggest that a requirement is to be added to vote is racist.

Apparently, a requirement to show a valid picture ID which includes your current address at the voting booth before being allowed to vote is considered to be "racist" and "voter suppression".

It's really depressing to see the lack of knowledge about history -- the lack of education -- as evidenced by people who don't know what the Voting Rights Act was, who don't know what poll taxes are...who never heard of Harry Bennett and know nothing of labor history either.

Quote Originally Posted by pffft View Post
    It's really depressing to see the lack of knowledge about history -- the lack of education -- as evidenced by people who don't know what the Voting Rights Act was, who don't know what poll taxes are...who never heard of Harry Bennett and know nothing of labor history either.
    The literacy test, the poll tax, the understanding clause, and the grandfather clause were all methods to keep blacks in the south from voting. They were applied unevenly to target and suppress voting both by blacks and by white Republicans in the south.

Philosophically, I would be in favor of an evenly applied civics test of the same difficulty as a final exam in 12th grade Civics class as a prerequisite for registering to vote. If we were a mono-cultural society, it would probably work quite well. In a multi-racial, multi-ethnic society it would have unequal impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    The literacy test, the poll tax, the understanding clause, and the grandfather clause were all methods to keep blacks in the south from voting. They were applied unevenly to target and suppress voting both by blacks and by white Republicans in the south.

Philosophically, I would be in favor of an evenly applied civics test of the same difficulty as a final exam in 12th grade Civics class as a prerequisite for registering to vote. If we were a mono-cultural society, it would probably work quite well. In a multi-racial, multi-ethnic society it would have unequal impact.

Hmm, it is not rocket science. Voting is all about choice. We do not need a civics exam to determine if we support candiate A or candidate B. Do you support this proposal, yes or no? There was a reason why tests as prerequisite to vote was banned. Because they were rigged to eliminate voters from the rolls, particularly, Black voters. You guys dying for a test should go to MSNBC and watch the first clip of the Rachel Maddow show. She had a segment on this very thing you seem to endorse.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast