Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default How much crime makes a bad area

Hi everyone.

I am interested to know what you all consider to be a "bad area" in Detrot terms.

Currently I am monitoring the crime alerts in Morning Side and I am finding them to be on par with North Las Vegas. Nothing worse, but no better either.

So how many murders, rapes, arsons, armed robberies etc per capita do you consider need to happen in an area of Detroit when you would say:

"This is a bad area even by Detroit Standards"
    Last edited by MJCMEX; February-07-10 at 05:08 PM.

Bearinabox Guest

A few years back, the Metro Times published an article about a guy who hiked Outer Drive from riverfront to riverfront, east to west. You can probably find it online if you look, I know it's been linked on here more than once. The people he ran into on the east side told him to be careful on the west side, 'cause there are some rough neighborhoods over there. When he got to the west side, people started expressing surprise that he'd made it through the east side unscathed, 'cause there are some rough neighborhoods over there. I guess what I'm saying is that you shouldn't expect to get a useful answer to this question.

It is good that you are monitoring your future neighborhood. Have you seen any incidents on your future block? I know you had mentioned the police said it was a pretty good block. I do not know much specifically about North Las Vegas crime, but I would imagine many areas of Detroit are comparable. I would imagine that the areas that would be worse would be hotspots for drug/gang activity, which changes over time.

Quote Originally Posted by MJCMEX View Post

Currently I am monitoring the crime alerts in Morning Side and I am finding them to be on par with North Las Vegas. Nothing worse, but no better either.

and the general area isn't as bad as post war berlin....

if North Las Vegas is your standard of measurement, then you have set the bar very low and will be very happy in Detroit......

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    and the general area isn't as bad as post war berlin....

if North Las Vegas is your standard of measurement, then you have set the bar very low and will be very happy in Detroit......

Well I suppose that if I gave a damn about North Las Vegas I would consider your comment pretty snarky, but I have no loyalty at all to North Las Vegas, and I live in what is considered a pretty safe part of town.

What I do give a damn about is the part of Detroit that will be my home soon: A place wherein I now own property am excited about the possibilities of fixing up a beautiful old house and living in.

As for the less snarky questions posted so far: I have been monitoring the area and the most recent crime happened about 2 miles away, nowhwere near my block.

That is not to say that there isn't some petty crime, vandalism and so forth, but as you pointed out police tell me it is a relatively safe street, and I think the Detroit Police must know a heck of alot more about my block than Goose does.

For Bearinabox
    I suppose it is true that good and bad are relative.

Personally I think that Las Vegas is the most corrupt city in America. It's rife with crime, devoid of any culture other than how to con people into spenindg their last paychecks on the prop bets of the crap tables, and I hate 118 degree heat.

But if I say this here at the alleged Pro Detroit forum, as I have in the past, some guy like Goose will come by and call me a fool for being interested in buying a house outright and never owing a dollar to a mortgage company ever again, or deciding that a beautiful old city that has both problems and potential is worth my time and investment.

So I would ask some of you with the oh so witty comments:

De you really want Detroit to get better and attract new residents such as myself who bring new energy enthusiasm and money into your home town?

Or would you rather just insult people in order to present the very attitude that keeps new residents away so that you can continue to complain about how bad things are?

Bearinabox Guest

Look, MJC, nothing personal, but if you're going to live in Detroit you need to grow a thicker skin. You can't get offended every time someone questions your decision. Just brush it off and move on. Part of living here is that a lot of people will give you strange looks when you tell them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    A few years back, the Metro Times published an article about a guy who hiked Outer Drive from riverfront to riverfront, east to west. You can probably find it online if you look, I know it's been linked on here more than once. The people he ran into on the east side told him to be careful on the west side, 'cause there are some rough neighborhoods over there. When he got to the west side, people started expressing surprise that he'd made it through the east side unscathed, 'cause there are some rough neighborhoods over there. I guess what I'm saying is that you shouldn't expect to get a useful answer to this question.
    http://www.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=6586
    is the link if anyone is interested.

Thanks for posting that, Devman. It was a very interesting read.

It seems to me to be more hear-say than really certain areas being "bad". But I guess you would just have to compare the amount of certain crimes in the parts of the city.

DetroitDad Guest

What determines a bad area isn't actual crime rates as much as blight and perceived crime rates. In other words, do you feel comfortable and safe walking around in the neighborhood, alone, at night? Would you let your kids walk to a friends house knowing they'd be relatively safe? Do you feel help would be close and reliable if some random emergency does happen?

Excellent site. Confirms some areas I'd noted were more crime engaged than others. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-08-10 at 06:18 AM.

Have friends that live all around the city. Not afraid to go anywhere.

Good neighbors are the key. Be a good neighbor and they will look out for you too.

I am careful however. Crime exists everywhere, city and burbs alike. I am very happy that you have chosen to give Detroit a chance. Be extra careful of who you select for friends or let into your home. Example: Had a Babysitter/Nanny who was as honest as the day is long but she had bad taste in picking boyfriends and no common sence. She let these people into our home and we had a spate of home invasion theft. Learned my lesson. That was many years ago however.

Come and enjoy. I find Detroit a nice place to live. Lots to do and places to go.

Crime has accelerated in some areas, especially breaking and entering and assault on women and the "teen-age" component has increased, no doubt.

I take out alot time talking to shop keepers and neighborhood people in my area and others. I talk to police officers too when I can. They will tell you and sites like the police one will give you a feel too. When in bad areas with higher crimes such as assaults, I just take extra precautions. That is not paranoid, that is just smart.
    Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Have friends that live all around the city. Not afraid to go anywhere.

Good neighbors are the key. Be a good neighbor and they will look out for you too.

I am careful however. Crime exists everywhere, city and burbs alike. I am very happy that you have chosen to give Detroit a chance. Be extra careful of who you select for friends or let into your home. Example: Had a Babysitter/Nanny who was as honest as the day is long but she had bad taste in picking boyfriends and no common sence. She let these people into our home and we had a spate of home invasion theft. Learned my lesson. That was many years ago however.

Come and enjoy. I find Detroit a nice place to live. Lots to do and places to go.

You really can't compare crime in Detroit aganist any other area. Not because there is more or less crime then other cities, because Detroit is the only large city that I'm aware of that has virtually no police response.

Limited police response creates a disinterest in filing reports. This may "only" involve petty crime but also applies to major vandalism, theft and assault on persons. Most places in CA keep much better statistics, underreporting has been the norm here for some time. Detroit officials facing re-election want to point out lowered crime rates and have had little or no oversight. This has led to some major credibility gaps. This may be biting the current police force on the butt as they will immediately look worse than before if crime is reported and tracked.

How carefully are the neighbors garages secured? Do they have any barbecue grills or yard furniture in view? Children's play sets? Garden decorations? I know that some are taken in for the winter, but a complete lack of them is an indication.

Northern CA [[San Jose, Stockton) can have some pretty rough neigborhoods but most of the people I saw still had respect for basic human rights. [[Druggies/gangs excluded, of course.) Detroit has a frightenly large population of people taking the attitude "I saw it so it's mine." That "it" can be a dollar dropped on the street or an old ladies handbag, clasped tightly to her chest. Be very, very careful.